DICE PACKS BUNDLE

New internet service provider ... port forwarding is now different and i am an idiot

I am trying to set up port forwarding, my new modem is asking me to do this with a mac address instead of ip addresses like my old modem used to be … I cant make it work, can someone please help me …

-sukEEt

Blog Entries
    MAC addresses look something like AA-BB-CC-11-22-33.
    Six pairs of hexadecimal numbers (01 - 99 - A1 - FF)

It's tied to your network card. Which means if you switch between wireless and wired your MAC address will change.

ipconfig /all will give you the MAC as well as the IP, you just have to know what to look for.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's very strange for port forwarding to be done by MAC address. Is it definitely in port forwarding and not the MAC address being used in IP address assignment?

Maybe provide a screenshot?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks - that answers my question. This is IPv6 port forwarding - you need IPv4 port forwarding for Fantasy Grounds.

Hopefully your new ISP and the router they've supplied supports this. If you can't find it in the router config, you'll probably have to check direct with your ISP. You'll need to ask about IPv4 port forwarding on TCP port 1802 for peer-to-peer gaming.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, would any of the suggestions from the Port Forwarding Alternatives Sticky forum thread help me or would I run into the same problem?

The VPN suggestions would work as an alternative if your ISP can't do port forwarding. But check with your ISP - no point in setting up VPNs etc. (with possible additional costs) if your ISP can sort it out for you.

Also do a search for port forwarding with your modem/route make and model number . It maybe that the IPv4 port forwarding option is hidden somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The VPN suggestions would work as an alternative if your ISP can't do port forwarding. But check with your ISP - no point in setting up VPNs etc. (with possible additional costs) if your ISP can sort it out for you.
    Fixed! Thanks Buddy!

Thread Information