DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

What Will the Next Storyline From Wizards of the Coast Be?

Tomb of Annihilation was released in September. Does anyone know what the next published adventure from WotC will be? So far, we have had...

• Tyranny of Dragons - dragons and cultists
    • Elemental Evil - cultists and cultists
    • Rage of Demons - drow and demons
    • Curse of Strahd - vampires and werewolves
    • Storm King's Thunder - giants and more giants
    • Tales from the Yawning Portal - classics anthology
    • Tomb of Annihilation - frog men and dinosaurs

It looks like they have hit most of the big settings and villain archetypes, paying tribute to Temple of Elemental Evil, Ravenloft, and the G-series along the way. Even Tomb of Annihilation was channeling a Dwellers of the Forbidden City vibe to me, which is not a bad thing.

So what's next??? I don't know if anything has been announced or even teased, but I don't mind speculating...

• An exploration of some part of the D&D multiverse to complement Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
    • Desert setting with efreet, djinn, and the like.
    • We had Rage of Demons, how about some devils?
    • The Red Wizards or some other wizard-based theme.
    • A more traditional undead threat rather than the gothic horror that is Ravenloft.

Other thoughts...

• Will they stick to expansive level ranges or maybe venture into higher level (i.e. level 11-20) adventures?
    • They seem to have drifted towards a more open-ended adventure path with recent storylines - I expect this to continue.
    • This is the longest break between storylines since the Starter Set was released in July 2014. Does that mean anything?
    Last edited by leozelig; April 27th, 2018 at 03:24.

The next release next month is Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, which is not and adventure. No details on anything beyond that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    ENWorld has a huge thread about this, I think it's over 800 posts.

There is no consensus, obviously. But it is known that the next two products (Broadway and Catacombs are the development names, if I remember right) will be published in September and October. They will be announced about 3 months prior to release (per usual). I suspect they are probably already in development for FG modules (or soon will be), but of course would be protected by Non-Disclosure Agreements so SW and the devs wouldn't be able to say anything.

Personally, I believe they will be adventures set in Waterdeep and Undermountain.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Darksun.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Mordenkainen’s Tome isn’t an adventure - that’s true, but it does cover D&D cosmology and the multiverse from what I understand, so perhaps a plane-hopping adventure. That might be difficult as an overarching theme on its own but could certainly be part of something else, or they might focus on one.

Blog Entries
    Maybe they stopped to work on D&D 6e . . . . Just kidding!

Personally, I would like to see DarkSun.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping for DarkSun too. I only played a campaign that died early once. But it looked really cool and unique. I'm still confident this year's AP's are Waterdeep and UM

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I am kinda hoping for Spelljammer - especially after Starfinder has been released living a gap in 5E's product profile. (Broadway?)

Though Planscape could be quite high - maybe more so after Mordenkanian's release if it contains a lot of planescape monsters....

However I would like to see Birthright - but I think thats a bit of a punt and well behind Darksun and other posibilities - though Undermountain could be a strong contender (Catacombs)
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Personally, I believe they will be adventures set in Waterdeep and Undermountain.
    Yawning Portal was set out of Waterdeep and kinda sorta touched on Undermountain. I suspect they are going elsewhere.

My money is on a higher level, plane hopping type adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I'm hoping for DarkSun too. I only played a campaign that died early once. But it looked really cool and unique. I'm still confident this year's AP's are Waterdeep and UM
    I'm not a fan if darksun I just suspect that is their direction after what I've seen. If much prefer generic setting adventures.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information