5E Character Create Playlist

Module of Effects (terminology)?

Hi there

On about day 3 of wading through the learning curve and one thing I'm stumbling on (in trying to automate as much as possible) are Effects (things like applying a Ranger's Favored Enemy damage automatically if a target is the correct Type).

While I think I can create things one-by-one (IFT I think?) I'm wondering if there is such thing as a community-built collection of 5e effects (even if just PC specific ones) that already exists? Something would auto-load dozens of effects that you can just drag out into the Action section (yes?) of the character sheet.

Apologies if my terminology is wrong.
    Thanks

Welcome to the forums Bronze
    Check out these videos

[URL="https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E"]

Hi BronzeDodger welcome to FG.

I don't think Rangers get any extra damage against their favoured enemy - at least not the basic Ranger anyway.

As for effects there are quite a bit of resources. There is the Wiki to start with which shows you how to create effects and lists all the keywords. There is this series of videos which also shows how effects are created in a more visual way. There is also the 'Complete Package' series of premade characters for all of the basic (ie PHB) classes with most of the effects predone. You can find videos and characters for the ones in Xanathar here. Finally you can buy Rob2e effects modules on the DMS Guild.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for this. It's for the variant ranger (+2 damage vs. humanoids) that is on the WotC site but not in the UA supplement yet (though it's just the first PC I was digging into so similar concept for paladin, warlock, etc.). I'll keep reading
    Last edited by BronzeDodger; April 18th, 2018 at 15:10.

Follow-up Q: is this the kind of data that can be exported into a module (not idea how that happens yet, but caught the concept in reading)? Like if I end up with a collection I build from scratch is there a way to export just custom effects into a file that could be shared?

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDodger View Post
    Like if I end up with a collection I build from scratch is there a way to export just custom effects into a file that could be shared?
    Yes.

Info on exporting here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...#Module_Export

There are some limitation with the campaign effects list - it is effects, not actions. Hence why Zacchaeus put his complete packages as PC exports - as it allows more character specific actions to be coded.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

New Q that hopefully is still closest enough to the original to apply (if not let me know if I should start a new topic)

Trying to a "how to" for the players on applying effects. Working on the warlock player's and describing how Hex gets applied. So first to make sure I'm understanding correctly this is what I'm telling him.

Step 1: Choose your attack target (Ctrl+click)
    Step 2: Drag Hex effect onto that target.
    Step 3: Drag Hex effect onto the warlock himself so that when/if your attack lands the bonus damage is correctly applied.
    Step 4: Remember to reapply the effect to warlock before taking next turn (or really, rolling damage) as it clears itself after each action right now.

(I'll assume I'm correct so far...)

I'm describing is along the lines of:
    - putting the effect on the target is like saying "whoever has the other half of this effect will be granted 1d6 bonus damage"
    - putting the effect on the warlock "closes the circuit" so FG knows "yup, apply the extra 1d6"

My question is: would it possible to add a variable to effects that include the name of the caster and thereby forego the need to apply the effect to yourself?
    Something like: DMG: 1d6 necrotic; (C); SOURCE: Warlock's Name

Then you apply the effect to the target and the extra damage only fires if SOURCE = the person doing the damage?

FYI: have done a couple of connection tests so far and things are working nicely. Without diving into multiple-layers / more tech than I care to, I think we're forgoing attempts for a video sidebar and just sticking with a Discord voice channel. As much learning as there is it's been fun so far.

You need to watch video six of this series which explains the situation much better than I can write it concisely.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Spectacular

Somehow I can see in the crystal ball that programming a "Drunk" effect would be very handy.

Thanks again for the quick response

Thread Information