5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

The Great Thread of Homebrewed Fun and Fantastical (low level) Magic Items

So I am looking for fun, silly, and/or creative magic items. Wand of Smiles comes to mind from Xanathar's Guide but I'm looking for some great magic items. Mostly I'm looking for stuff to give out to players level 4 - 6 without having it create big balance issues.

Here are some on the silly side I found:

Fools' Gold: Looks and feels exactly like gold coins. Completely indistinguishable from the real thing... until you spend it. When you spend it, the spent coins revert to their natural form, a pile of dried leaves.

Levitating Boots: The boots levitate two inches off the ground unless you put them on.

Magic Wand of Magic Wand Creation: The wand has a single charge. When used the magic wand creates a Magic Wand of Magic Wand Creation.

Here is one based on a spell I created:

[Item] of Away: Once per day the bearer of this item can invoke it's powers as an Action. This may only be done on the surface. The invoker and up to 8 willing creatures are transported a random distance in a random direction. Anyone wishing to be transported must touch the caster as the spell is cast. Affected creatures will always appear 2 inches above the surface, whatever that may be, a river, a field, the roof of a building, etc.

Direction. 4d10 (zeros count as zeros, not 10) and multiply the result by 10 degrees.
    Distance. 1d4 miles

Away Orb, Bracers of Away, etc

Book of Misspleling (Cursed): Any spell caster who reads the book will be cursed for a month. During that month if they roll a 1 while casting a spell will have that spell "renamed" by modifying by the curse. A single letter in the name of the spell will change, whether added, removed, or altered. Therefore Wish might become Fish, where fish begin to rain from the sky. Alter Self might become Alter Elf: The nearest elf to your location is changed in some way, maybe his ears grow or she changes color or something.

Zephyr Sail: This boat sail is for a small boat which can carry up to 10 people. When unfurled on a mast the sail will fill and push the boat at its normal rate. It will do this whether there is wind or not, and in whatever direction the boat is pointed. In fact, if the boat sails against the wind that oncoming wind has no effect on the boat other than whatever effect it would have on the water.

Rings of Sending: A set of rings which are attuned to each other. By using an action the wearer is able to send a messages of 10 words or less to the wearer of one of the other attuned rings up to 500ft away. The creature hears the message in its mind, and recognizes you as the sender. A ring of sending can be attuned to up to 4 other rings by placing those rings in proximity of each other for an hour. If more than 5 rings are placed together they will all become unattuned.

I like this because as the GM I can hand out a way to allow a little table-talk even for split parties without making splitting irrelevant, especially if they only ever find two. More interestingly, what if they find one ring which is attuned to a set already... who knows who has the others. Do they want this one back? Are they benign? Are they hunting the players? Since the only way to unattune such a ring is to place it with another ring from another set or gather 6 rings, how will the players handle it?

Blog Entries
    I'm reminded of that ancient cartoon in Dragon with the Scroll of Learning Disability...
    I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going!

(But I'll happily be GM...)

I made this.

Brash Tankard.JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
    I made this.
    lol, I read this and said I wondered if he's from ... Oh, yea, Texas,. That's close enough!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The fools gold would be great as a mushroom that has adapted to look like gold. It spreads spores everywhere and soon the whole countryside is filled with small piles of coins that bring in tons of soon to be beligerent travelers.

Question Box Once per day if a character were to write the answer to a question and place it in the box the answer box will provide the question that the answer belongs to (Jeopardy style). For instance, if the players were to write the BBEG's name and drop it into the box the box could reply "A man who has planned to betray you." or " A man who dislikes cats."

The movable rod A rod that remains in the position it is placed regardless of gravity unless acted on by any other, even minor, force.

The coin purse of holding A small change purse that can hold up to 1p in any combination of coins and can freely transmute a number of coins to their equivalent amount in another denomination of coins.

Stone of Comfort When placed in a specially prepared campfire the stone will create a fire that will do its best to maintain a temperature of 76 degrees F within a 10 by 10 area. This includes cooling the area as well as heating.

Pet Rock If the user of this stone takes one minute to hold the stone against an animal or piece of an animal of CR 1/8th or lower the stone will take the form of the animal. The stone can not move or interact with its environment, but still animates as if it was the creature performing mundane actions. Make a desk bunny that you never have to feed or clean up after but can still pet and looks cute.

Arrow of Light When fired from a bow this arrow will create a 10-foot radius of dim light for up to 5 minutes. As a bonus action, the character that is attuned to the arrow can summon the arrow back to the attuned character's hand (The arrow extinguishes when summoned and is relit again when fired).

Hansel's Bag of Travel As a bonus action the wearer of this backpack can activate the magic imbued within. The bag will then create and drop a small stream of breadcrumbs dependant on the distance and speed of travel.

Stuffed Mule This mule shaped blanket can be activated by pouring a sack of feed, grass or hay onto it. The blanket then expands into the shape of a mule. The mule acts as a regular mule for 24 hours, at which point it reverts back to a blanket. The mule can be turned back into a blanket earlier by pulling off the removable tail.

Key of Many Doors When placed against a smooth surface the key will create the illusion of a closed door on the surface for up to 1 hour.

Boots of Intimidation These halfling sized boots activate whenever the wearer makes an intimidation check against a humanoid up to two sizes larger than themselves. Upon activation, the boots will slowly levitate the wearer up to three inches above the eye level of the intimidation target. If the user can pass a DC 12 acrobatics check the user may make the intimidation check with advantage. If the user fails the save by more than 5 the user is flipped upside down and must make the intimidation check with disadvantage. The user slowly descends to the ground over the course of the next round.

Noble's Locket This locket will create a 5-foot aura of whatever scent is placed within the locket. Used by the nobility to deal with the smells of the city but has plenty of other uses as well.

Star Bracelet A bracelet adorned with five small glass stars. Up to 8 willing creatures can become attuned to this bracelet. When any member of the attuned group spends a minute focusing on the bracelet the bracelet's stars will change to gold based on the overall opinion of all creatures with an intelligence score of 5 or higher within a 1-mile radius.

MacGuffin's Wonderous Gem When a character picks up this brightly colored gem a copy of this gem is created in the possession of a creature of intelligence 5 or higher within a 50-mile radius of the gem. The character can use an investigation check to look into the gem and receive a vision of the creature in possession of the copied gem as well as knowledge of the general direction of the creature. The creature in possession of the copied gem sees the gem as a copper coin or other mundane item unless they also possess the original gem.

Blane's Transdimensional Pocket A pocket that can be attuned to three other similar pockets. The pocket stores one item roughly the size of a human hand. Any creature possessing an attuned pocket can reach into the pocket and remove the stored item. The pockets share a dimensional space and therefore can only store one item at a time.

Axe of Barbarian Slaying A mighty great ax that perpetually drips the blood of the owner's slain enemies. Any character with an intelligence greater than 8 can see the true nature of the ax as a quarterstaff with a pillow on one end.

Ring of Disposession This ring slowly increases in size until it falls off of its owner's finger.

Gladiator's Sword Any creature slain by this sword is returned to life 2d10+4 hours later.

Wizard's Hat Allows for the use of the prestedigitation spell as an at will action.

Mask of Amnesia Anyone viewing the wearer of the mask will forget seeing the wearer after six hours. Anyone wearing the mask will forget anything learned while wearing the mask after six hours.

Emergency Rations If consumed while taking a short rest the user can recieve the benefits of a short rest after 5 minutes.

Gauze of Empathy When the user succeeds on a medecine check to heal another the user may heal the target for 1d6+3 damage and take an equivelent amount of damage.

Bag of Hail When filled with water this bag will create magical hail stones (equivelent to ball bearings). As an action a user my spill or throw the hailstones on the ground. As a bonus action the user can melt the hailstones.

Death's Embrace (Dagger) If a rogue weilding this dagger succeeds on a sneak attack which kills a creature the creature makes a will save. If it fails the rogue can ask the creature a single question for which the creature will see the rogue as a friend.

Girdle of PUNishment Whenever a character wearing this girdle makes a pun the character must pass a will save or take 1d4-1 sonic damage.
    Last edited by Kirayon; April 16th, 2018 at 10:59. Reason: More items!

Awesome. I've always found this helpful and inspirational.

https://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/index.php

I love that 5E went back to DM controlled random magic item giving. But I've always disliked that they didn't include enough minor/mundane magic or inspiration to make them. Heck the base world is Faerun which is literally full of magic crap with little to no use for game stats, but make the world of difference for roleplaying.

Thread Information