DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Players having issues

So some of my players are having crashing issues with the phb deluxe and xanathars guide to everything. There are runtime errors and script errors whenever they open those modules (we call them the modules that must not be opened or death will come for you) Why would this occur? Any suggestions on how to fix this? They have cleared cache and all that jive many times. Sucks I purchased this content for my players to use and it boots them from the game. Please help.

Bukkyo

Blog Entries
    Are they running on 32 bit windows?

Have them watch the process size of FG in the Task Manager. At what size does it cause FG to crash?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The most likely issue is that the players are running out of memory. As LE says get your players to check how much memory FG is using when they are connected. If it is anywhere close to 3Gb then that is the issue.

The PHB and Xanathar on their own won't casue issues but what else are you sharing with your players? Make sure that you are not loading up all of the decal extensions, that you are not sharing any tokens and that you have the minimum number of images shared with your players. Open the images from the button on the right and click on 'All' down the bottom right of that window. If you see a long list there then you may have too many images shared, probably many of them being maps which can be large and use a lot of memory. Also make sure that you aren't sharing things like the DMs Guide or Monster Manual (i.e. things that are only for the DM).

The fix is to unshare images (click on the P or S beside their name) and close any unused modules and remove any tokens from your shared folder. Have you players clear their cache before rejoining your slimmed down campaign.

You can also test things out by creating a new campaign and getting your players join join that. If they have no problems opening the PHB or Xanathar then you'll know that memory is the issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Also, make sure that your Shared Tokens folder is empty. These images are shared on every connection, and are all loaded into memory on the player client.

Regards,
    JPG

i will try said things next session. i haven't shared much with the players since they have just got level 3. They guy who has issues all the time is running a 32 win version, which seems to be the primary issues. i do not and will never share anything that is meant for just me as the Dm. i do like loading up all the decals and i do rotate them each session i run, but maybe i will stop doing that. Like i said in my first post the players who do have issues do clear their cache when issues arise. i really do think this is a memory issue, but for now not much we can do until he upgrades his pc (will need his wifes permission for that). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Indeed, on a 32 bit machine FG can only use about 1.5Gb of memory so the situation is even tighter. I'd suggest dropping some of the decal extensions since those do contain graphics which take up memory. Note that simply clearing their cache won't do very much on its own since whenever the players reconnect they will just download everything that has been shared again. Clearing their cache will only be effective if you stop sharing things before they join your game. So the order is remove material you no longer wish to share; have the players clear their cache; have players join your slimmed down campaign.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I did a quick test, the player using a 32-bit Windows machine is not going to be able to load both the PHB and Xanathar's Player's version. The PHB (as a player) takes 1.1GB. When I then just load Xanathar's Player's it goes to 1.76Gb. Which is going to be too much for a 32-bit O/S.

That player is going to have to only have one of them loaded at any given time. Have them unload one before they load up the other.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

To be perfectly honest, to ensure the player using the 32-bit Operating System doesn't have issues, they're probably not going to be able to open even one of the big modules and have a problem free gaming session. I know this isn't ideal, but it's something you're probably going to have to do until the player can upgrade to a computer with a 64-bit operating system.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Just want to say thanks to you all for the help on this issue. Good to know there are friendly people here to help and support all the issues that come up along the way. Much love peoples. Keep doing what you all do, because you are all kick a$$.

Thread Information