5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Blog Entries
    Hey Jip, welcome to the forums.

Glad to hear you have been (up till now) successfully able to find the answers you have sought.

So what map to use.... I think most people use the "Player...Complete" map and don't worry about the text. BUT, I can see where you might want a map with the text.

There shouldn't be any problem using the GM map and sharing that (masked) with the players. They won't be able to see any of the red pins unless you share them (when they will turn green).

I do now a few of the maps from some sources can't be copied. Not really sure why in each case. (Like the maps in the DMG can't be copied, but the maps in the DMG players version can...).

I'm sure someone with a better answer will be along shortly.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hi Jip,

I used whatever map had the hex grid already placed, and put a hex token over all the unknown areas and removed the hexes as they were explored. It seemed to work fine.

Delgar3

LordEntrails, Delgar3 - Thank you both for the ideas.

I guess there's no real risk in using the GM version of the map. Worse case the players might see a few hexes they weren't supposed to see yet. The jungle all looks the same anyway, right? So long as I don't share the pins prematurely, they won't know what they're looking at.

As for manually covering each hidden hex with an individual hex token - I'm going to give it a go and see how tedious the placement work becomes. I'm assuming you had no FG performance issues loading up all those tokens (which seemed to be one of the concerns).

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I do now a few of the maps from some sources can't be copied. Not really sure why in each case. (Like the maps in the DMG can't be copied, but the maps in the DMG players version can...)
    You’re confusing unlocking a map - i.e. the maps in the main DMG module being read only.

Maps/images can’t be copied within FG - the source doesn’t make a difference, module or campaign. The only way to copy a map/image is in the campaign images directory via the operating system file manager, or if you can open the module file itself (which you can’t with most recent store content).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

as others have said, no there is no easy option for the map when it comes to masking. HOWEVER I do have a ready made mask for the map that I made in photoshop (easier than making it in FG)

It is sized for the full size Mike Schley map though as I hated the low quality of the fantasygrounds version.

If you want I could resize it to the FG version and pass it along or just give you the original file. It won't solve your in play issue but it will stop you from spending time on it otherwise.

I didn't bother with aligning a grid to it either btw, looks nicer and the image already had a grid (snapping wasn't a priority for me on the overworld)

Another option is to create a mouse macro that draws the perfect hex every time... But I don't think it is worth the trouble. Hopefully FGU has better tools for hexcrawl

@lostsanityretruned Thank you for the offer. I'd love to take a look at the original file. No need to resize. I'll message you my email address.

@Jip -- I too just moved over to FG after close to 3 years at Roll20. I decided to use the Mask feature on the DM Map of Chult. The DM version because it gave all the place names (as I unmask) as well as pins for my convenience. I've attached a screen shot. Please note: a) a bit more is revealed as my players have traveled a bit of Chult; and b) I forgot to unmask around Peaks of Flame, but I think you get the idea.

FG-Chult-Mask.PNG

However, yes, 'flipping' the yellow hexes on Roll20 was easier. Roll20, IMO, has two main strengths over FG -- the map layers (GM, etc.) and Dynamic Lighting. However FG has so much more going for it, over and above Roll20, that our gang was happy to make a switch.

I hope that helps!

Brett.

Welcome to the forums and FG Community Brett!

Thanks Nylanfs — looking forward to it. First FG session is this Sunday!

@BrettM I've experimented with a couple of approaches to mange the player map. Your map looks great. With a steady hand, the Mask feature seems to do the trick.

And I agree with your assessment of Roll20 v FG. I'm loving FG as well. The seamless ties between story, handouts, encounters, combat, and rewards is amazing. I'm suddenly so organized! My main problem so far is managing large combat maps in FG. In Roll20 I could drag multiple map images together to form one huge map, I haven't figured that out here yet. But I'm sure if I pose the question in the right forum, I'll get tons of friendly replies.

Thanks for the info.

Thread Information