STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Buy perm license or wait.

Greetings,

I am not in to monthly subscriptions so I ask the following in light of the new version on the brink of being released, maybe.

Do I buy the perm ultimate license now or wait for the new unity 64 bit? I don't care to re buy at a later date.

opinions?

There is not date set for the Unity release. If you want to use Fantasy Grounds any time in the next few months then get the license now.

There has been no pricing structure set for the Unity release either - but SmiteWorks have frequently said that any upgrade fee will be scaled based on how long you've had your old license - less time, less money.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    If you are going to use FG now, then buy now.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, Fantasy Grounds is amazing as it is right now. Pick it up and get playing, you won't regret it!

Depends on your needs. You could conceivably use r20 for a bit until unity. The unity release will pretty much be what you see here + perhaps dynamic lighting at release.

If you want to buy the FG license, I don't think buying it now rather than buying it when Unity is released will matter in the long run.

I would personally just pick it up now and enjoy it, and then see what happens with Unity rolls out in the future.

I bought the full license a couple of years ago and have no regrets about it in the least - it has been an extremely enjoyable experience for both me and my players (none of us would ever go back to Roll20, for the record).
    Proud Ultimate License Holder
    Also have bought a lot of other 5E and other , incl. Savage Worlds, Mutants & Masterminds, and Pathfinder 2e
    Central Time Zone (living in the USA, although born on the eastern shores of Canada)
    Have Played All D&D Editions except for 3/3.5 (am familiar with those rules, tho)

Blog Entries
    Get FG for what it is now, which is pretty awesome. FGU will be at least what FG is now, on a better foundation.

I suppose if you prefer the roadkill grill instead if prime rib, you could look at "it's free it's free it's damn free (except when it isn't which us always)" Roll20. Me, I like my prime rib of VTTs and stick with FG.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

.. lots of cheerleaders here.

Its sounds like you haven't run many games on FG yet. I'd recommend subbing an ultimate for a month to see if it fits your playstyle before you part with $170.

Is there a reason why you want the Ultimate instead of the Full license?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    .. lots of cheerleaders here.
    People are generally enthusiastic about issues/topics/things they enjoy. Not sure what's wrong with that (??).
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information