5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Multiple DM's

Multiple DM's

So a friend and me were considering some options for multi DM scenario's and FG. As neither has really DM'd much on FG, but many years in life we thought it might be cool to run some adventures where party's could get split, or be bounced from DM to DM along the same adventures. Just trying to see if others have done this, and the pros/cons of using FG for something like this.

Blog Entries
    The pro's are all the great things FG does.

The cons specific to what you are considering are:
    - There is no real way to co-DM at the same time, only one person hosts, all other are players.
    - Licensing, either all DM's need an ultimate license (i.e. 2 ultimate and everyone else free), or all DMs and players need a standard license.
    - DLC is owned and shared only by the DM (players can access with DM permission their own DLC, but can not share it).

So, what that means on DLC depends. If everyone wants their own FG version of the PHB then no big deal. If a DM is going to run a whole official campaign (like LMoP) then they would be the only one who needs to buy that adventure/campaign. If you develop your own content, then each DM that develops that content will probably want the MM and perhaps Volos and/or the DMG.

Let us know other questions or concerns you might have.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Although you can pass the campaign folder from one DM to DM to keep continuity.

Yeah, we are just exploring some options. Gen Con has had quite a few events over the years with multiple group / DM interactives. So we are brainstorming at the moment. We aren't even sure what we want to run. I played in a Dark Sun 3 table event once, where the slaves (all 3 tables), were attempting to escape the gladiatorial pits. Needless to say, depending on your individual decisions, you might get moved to another table. DM's coordinated real well on keeping the action moving, as well as players. Also Society does a great job of working their mega events at Gen Con. I guess as we explore ideas, it might be more prudent to ask questions that arise. Anyways, thanx for thoughts so far.

My group is about to start doing a co-DM with 5th Edition. 5 people total, 2 DMs. The DMs (I'm one of them) both have Ultimate licenses, while everyone else is on Demo. Half of us are at a location in Indiana with the other half in California. We're just starting character creation tomorrow so I'll update with how things go once we get underway.

I'm wondering if perhaps you could have a GM host, with the host able to promote a person to "co-GM". The should be no difference in the basic architecture; co-GM would just have the same privileges and functions as the host-GM ..... though of course it entirely depends on how FG is coded. I'd hope that functions would be linked to role and not to the actual hosting capabilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovrin View Post
    I'm wondering if perhaps you could have a GM host, with the host able to promote a person to "co-GM".
    This isn't within the FG functionality.

All you can do is send a copy of the campaign to the new GM, they load it up and run the game from their license. The new GM will need to have the same base FG products as the original GM - adventure module/s and any key library/player data modules you need to share with the players.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This isn't within the FG functionality.

All you can do is send a copy of the campaign to the new GM, they load it up and run the game from their license. The new GM will need to have the same base FG products as the original GM - adventure module/s and any key library/player data modules you need to share with the players.
    Yeah. I realise that. Perhaps a thought for a future version?

Quote Originally Posted by Tovrin View Post
    YPerhaps a thought for a future version?
    Vote for it here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40882

And check for any other feature requests you may have - vote for them or add them if they're not there.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Some great feedback, thanx. And of course I'll vote. I would love to hear how some of your projects work out. We got some floater ideas, and really just need to come up with a game plan. But to hear others thinking outside the box is great.

Thread Information