FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Changing initiative die roll for Pathfinder

I would like to change the die roll for initiative from a d20 to a d10 in Pathfinder. I thought I found the code in the 3.5 ruleset and modified it to d10, but it didn't work. I made copies and backups and am pretty sure I was using the right file. Would this be a job for a small extension?

If you cannot get it to work directly editing the ruleset, you are not going to get it to work in an extension either. However, unless you are planning on doing a ruleset it is better to work in an extension. I recommend you post what the original code was, where it was, and the changes you made.

I would assume in manager_action_init.lua in the scripts folder, you would change line 42 from 'rRoll.aDice = { "d20" };' to 'rRoll.aDice = { "d10" };'. Not sure if that would catch all the instances where initiative is rolled, but it's a place to start.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

That is exactly what I tried. My suspicion was that it isn't the only place it was rolled, but I couldn't find anything else. I edited the 3.5 ruleset because it looked like Pathfinder pointed almost everything to that.

Put a Debug.console command just before your modified code, something like Debug.console("About to roll init with d10"); And then open the console window with the chat command /console

See if the debug command is displayed in the console - if not, then your code isn't running.

Note: manager_action_init.lua is only triggered for PC rolls from the character sheet. manager_combat2.lua handles the NPC init tolls, and PC init rolls made by the GM from the combat tracker.

More info on the Debug.console command here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Debug.xcp#console
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the pointers. I went through the combat2 code and replaced all the random(20)'s with random(10)'s when it was in code that looked like it modified init. For some reason, when I "roll all initiatives", none of them are called. Only when I rolled from the player sheet did it call the init.lau code and send something to the debug console.

I am missing something fundamental. I am nervous about making so many changes to a ruleset and unintended consequences. I think I will try to learn how to make this work with an extension.

Not my players. They never seem to roll above a 5 on the initiative d20 anyway. :-)

If you have the Castles and Crusades ruleset, you can look at how it does initiative. It has options to roll d10, d20, or d% for initiative.

Thread Information