STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Well a little more work but perhaps worth it for a special item.

Create more than one item for the same magic item. Let’s say you wanted a long sword +1, and resistance to fire. So create a weapon +1 and and another weapon +1 with the resist fire. Give then only the +1 weapon initially. Now create an effect for Resist fire on the effects dialog and click the hidden eye button. Now place that effect from there onto the PC who is using the weapon. The effect will be hidden from the player but will become obvious once the situation reveals itself. You can then swap out the +1 weapon with the real one that you have kept hidden from them.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Maybe I'm not following properly, but isn't there always a red circle with "ID" in the upper right-hand corner that would tell a player anyway that the item is not identified?
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I don’t think the player sees that only the DM. If the item does not have a non id name the player will see ‘unidentified item’, but if it does have such a name the players will only see that.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    Maybe I'm not following properly, but isn't there always a red circle with "ID" in the upper right-hand corner that would tell a player anyway that the item is not identified?
    Left side is the DM view, right side is the player view of an unidentified item with a name/description included:

Without the non-id name/description included the player just sees a blank item card that says Unidentified Item.

Blog Entries
    kylania, thanks for posting that. So the players are already going to know the item is not identified because when they look at the item record they will not only see the red circle, but they don't see any stats or properties etc for the item.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, the purpose of item identification is to not let the players know what the full item is, it is not meant to completely hide the fact that the item is something more than it seems - that would require duplicate stats/properties, which would cause more/different issues.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by kylania View Post
    Left side is the DM view, right side is the player view of an unidentified item with a name/description included:

Without the non-id name/description included the player just sees a blank item card that says Unidentified Item.
    well seems the only way to pull off that complete unknown feeling is to make a duplicate and sway as suggested.

As Trenloe says, it becomes much more complex both for programming and within the UI to have full stats for each state. It is designed to work as it does now.

Also, this can actually be accomplished a different way, which happens to be the way that I do it. If I truly want to hide the fact that an item is special, I actually hand out a completely different and fully identified mundane item. Until the user "figures out" that the item is a) special and b) what kind of special, they don't get to use it as anything other than the mundane item.

Regards,
    JPG

I really appreciate all the feedback. it will defiantly help me out running my campaigns.

Thread Information