STAR TREK 2d20
Page 15 of 23 First ... 51314151617 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadcast Bard View Post
    When I open NPC's or click on any of the buttons at the top of npcs I also get errors. FGC

Script Error: [string "FFAL/scripts/FFAL_data_library_common.lua"]:168: bad argument #1 to 'floor' (number expected, got nil)
    Ruleset Error: windowcontrol: Database type mismatch for control (cr) in windowclass (reference_groupedlist_groupitem)
    Script Error: [string "ref/scripts/ref_groupedlist_groupitem.lua"]:58: attempt to index local 'cField' (a nil value)
    I suspect Minty is going to need you to verify what version of FG you are using and what extensions and themes are loaded. Also, what source are you pulling NPCs from? These details will help him reproduce and resolve the issue.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Duplicate post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Broadcast Bard; June 18th, 2020 at 02:22. Reason: Dupe

That's all fair. I am using

FG 3.3.10
    No theme loaded. Extention list is... Extensive.

Extention List.png

Obviously that makes troubleshooting harder.

NPCS... well, I have a lot of modules. This is not a super useful gif. Does this extention really do that poorly with parsing things that it spits out errors? Because it works 100% for everything except NPC's as far as I can tell, and even there, it spits out an error, but as soon as I click on like a folder (ALL) (NEW) (Monster Manual) etc. It works 100% fine.

That's a lot of modules.gif

Blog Entries
    That is a lot of extensions. I think Minty is going to need you to isolate which extension is causing the conflict with. Then he might be able to work with that extension author to get things so those two extensions work together. I would not expect him to spend the time to try and figure out what might conflict with all those various extensions. I would start with the NPC Flavor's extension, disable it and see if the error goes away. If not, disable 5 others at a time until you figure out which set solves it, then down to which one extension appears to be conflicting. Then start a new campaign and just enough this extension and that one and verify the conflict exists. Then you can let both extension authors know and let them see if they can resolve.

Why I asked about which module was simple if you already had eliminated extensions, then to see if perhaps some module had NPCs that were causing the problem. Since it's most likely and extension conflict, then don't worry about which module.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    First: Thanks LordEntrails for fielding this for me. I certainly appreciate your efforts to set the landing field up so I can swoop in and look like the hero!

Second:@Broadcast Bard: Do you really need and use all those extensions? Take a look through the forums, ask around. Those of us who have been with FG for awhile use only the extensions we need for our campaign. Heck some of us will tweak the extension list from session to session. I use only a hand full (3-5). I've talked with LordEntrails in the past, he uses about the same. My DM uses a few more, 6 or seven. To drop a name, Trenloe, also uses only a hand full. We've come to learn, the more extensions you use the greater your chance of frustration because of conflicts.

So why do these conflicts exist? We extension writers, community developers, typically code our extensions in isolation of what other community developers are doing, unless we rely on someone else's extension, we aren't going to test our code to see if it is compatible with theirs. Oddly enough many of us have other things to do than check compatibility of our code with every other extension out there. If we were getting paid to produce these extensions, code compatibility would be expected, demanded, but for those of us who are just giving away our time and our efforts, some leeway is usually granted. It isn't until someone, such as yourself, reports an error that we know we might have an extension conflict. Again if you look around on the forums, find someone reporting issues with an extension, you'll probably also note that one of the first questions asked by the extension developer is "what extensions are you using?".

When a problem is reported to me, and if the user is only employing one or two extensions, then I usually pursue the issue on my own. When it is a mountain of them, I don't have the time to sort it out, there are far too many variables coming into play. The largest time consumer would be learning what all those other extensions do. I don't care what they do, otherwise I'd be using them. It is a monumental waste of my time to collect, install, and learn how to use all those other extensions. But you do care, you do know, you have them installed so it is up to you to do the initial troubleshooting.

Now here's a real benefit to both of us: you need to decide, am I really using FFAL, or am I just "arming up" because using lots of extensions is cool. If it's the former, you will help me help you get this ironed out, and I'll be happy to do so. If it's the latter, then you'll decide not to use FFAL and quit wasting both of our time. You decide. Let me know. And thanks for trying FFAL in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    First: Thanks LordEntrails for fielding this for me. I certainly appreciate your efforts to set the landing field up so I can swoop in and look like the hero!

Second:@Broadcast Bard: Do you really need and use all those extensions? Take a look through the forums, ask around. Those of us who have been with FG for awhile use only the extensions we need for our campaign. Heck some of us will tweak the extension list from session to session. I use only a hand full (3-5). I've talked with LordEntrails in the past, he uses about the same. My DM uses a few more, 6 or seven. To drop a name, Trenloe, also uses only a hand full. We've come to learn, the more extensions you use the greater your chance of frustration because of conflicts.

So why do these conflicts exist? We extension writers, community developers, typically code our extensions in isolation of what other community developers are doing, unless we rely on someone else's extension, we aren't going to test our code to see if it is compatible with theirs. Oddly enough many of us have other things to do than check compatibility of our code with every other extension out there. If we were getting paid to produce these extensions, code compatibility would be expected, demanded, but for those of us who are just giving away our time and our efforts, some leeway is usually granted. It isn't until someone, such as yourself, reports an error that we know we might have an extension conflict. Again if you look around on the forums, find someone reporting issues with an extension, you'll probably also note that one of the first questions asked by the extension developer is "what extensions are you using?".

When a problem is reported to me, and if the user is only employing one or two extensions, then I usually pursue the issue on my own. When it is a mountain of them, I don't have the time to sort it out, there are far too many variables coming into play. The largest time consumer would be learning what all those other extensions do. I don't care what they do, otherwise I'd be using them. It is a monumental waste of my time to collect, install, and learn how to use all those other extensions. But you do care, you do know, you have them installed so it is up to you to do the initial troubleshooting.

Now here's a real benefit to both of us: you need to decide, am I really using FFAL, or am I just "arming up" because using lots of extensions is cool. If it's the former, you will help me help you get this ironed out, and I'll be happy to do so. If it's the latter, then you'll decide not to use FFAL and quit wasting both of our time. You decide. Let me know. And thanks for trying FFAL in first place.
    If it helps, and you're still interested in looking into this, I get the error with no other extensions loaded, just FFAL v.03.3. Additionally, In my testing I narrowed it down to a single module that makes it crash "D&D Volo's Guide to Monsters" module. If I load that module I get the Error, unload that module and it works fine.

Script Error: [string "FFAL/scripts/FFAL_data_library_common.lua"]:468: invalid order function for sorting

Blog Entries
    Thank you dimfuture. The error you’re experiencing, is indicative of data that is not consistent with that of previous modules. Lilly Fireblade reported this same error a while back. See post #103 and if you wish, try using the patched version of FFAL posted in post #109. (It was never posted as main stream because I hadn’t thoroughly tested it.)
    Oddly enough, for the last few weeks I have been working on enhancements to v3.3.4 to assist me (and users) attempt to more quickly find these data inconsistencies in other modules. This will be handy since we’re seeing more and more third party modules being published. I expect inconsistent data formats to become much more frequent.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; June 30th, 2020 at 08:01.

Ahoi,

any news on Pathfinder 2 progress? Yesterday we were looking for spells with the auditory and/or visual trait, but the inbuilt search does not come up with results for such queries. We then ended up searching through the PDF instead, which is unnecessarily convoluted for modern computer based solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by dimfuture View Post
    If it helps, and you're still interested in looking into this, I get the error with no other extensions loaded, just FFAL v.03.3. Additionally, In my testing I narrowed it down to a single module that makes it crash "D&D Volo's Guide to Monsters" module. If I load that module I get the Error, unload that module and it works fine.

Script Error: [string "FFAL/scripts/FFAL_data_library_common.lua"]:468: invalid order function for sorting
    Thanks, I grabbed that debug FFAL 3.3.4 extension and interestingly, it's inconsistent, sometimes it tosses the error and sometimes it seems fine, just loading and unloading the module. Did a little bit of testing and it seems that if I go through the modules and load/unload them as I get the error I can load a lot the modules successfully, but it seem to fail mostly with modules that contain lots of data.

Also a few times it blew chunks unloading a problem module (module loaded successfully after unloading some modules in my mental theory of reducing the page count)

Runtime Notice: s'FFAL_genericSort() | sCapture, aOrder, aTypes, aFilterValues=' | s'^%s*([%a%s]*)%s*([+-]?%s*%d*)%s*(.*)' | { #1 = #1, #2 = #2, #3 = #3 } | { #1 = s'string', #2 = s'number', #3 = s'string' } | { #1 = s'tremorsense 60 ft.', #2 = s'passive Perception 20', #3 = s'(Empty)', #4 = s'Blindsight 10ft', #5 = s'truesight 60 ft.', #6 = s'Passive Perception 9', #7 = s'passive Perception 23', #8 = s'Blindsight 30ft.', #9 = s'passive Perception 17', #10 = s'darkvision 60 ft. (rat form only)', #11 = s'darkvision 60 ft.', #12 = s'Passive Perception 10', #13 = s'passive Perception 16', #14 = s'passive Perception 15', #15 = s'passive Perception 7', #16 = s'darkvision', #17 = s'passive', #18 = s'passive Perception 19', #19 = s'passive Perception 6', #20 = s'Perception +14', #21 = s'truesight 30 ft.', #22 = s'passive Perception 10', #23 = s'dark vision 60 ft.', #24 = s'passive Perception 11', #25 = s'Passive Perception 16', #26 = s'Blindsight 60 ft. ', #27 = s'Telepathy 60 ft.', #28 = s'blindsight 10 ft. (blind beyond this radius)', #29 = s'blindsight 120 ft. (blind beyond this radius)', #30 = s'passive Perception 14', #31 = s'passive perception 13', #32 = s'-', #33 = s'truesight 120 ft.', #34 = s'Darkvision 60 Ft. (Rat Form Only)', #35 = s'blindsight 120 ft.', #36 = s'darkvision 120 f.t', #37 = s'passive Perception 24', #38 = s'passive Perception 27', #39 = s'blindsight 30 ft.', #40 = s'Passive Perception 15', #41 = s'passive Perception 13', #42 = s'darkvision 120 ft.', #43 = s'darkvision 120 ft. (including magical darkness)', #44 = s'passive Perception 29', #45 = s'Perception 20', #46 = s'Perception 10', #47 = s'blindsight 60 ft.', #48 = s'Darkvision', #49 = s'Passive perception 12', #50 = s'Bloodhunt (see below)', #51 = s'blindsight 30 ft. or 10 ft. while deafened (blind beyond this radius)', #52 = s'Passive Perception 19', #53 = s'passive Perception 18', #54 = s'30 ft. dim', #55 = s'Perception 12', #56 = s'blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this radius)', #57 = s'blindsight 60 ft. (blind beyond this distance)', #58 = s'passive Perception 9', #59 = s'passive Perception 31', #60 = s'passive Perception 8', #61 = s'passive Perception 26', #62 = s'Darkvision 120ft', #63 = s'Passive Perception 13', #64 = s'blindsight 10 ft.', #65 = s'darkvision 30 ft.', #66 = s'blindsight 500 ft. (blind beyond this radius)', #67 = s'Blindsight 10', #68 = s'passive Perception 21', #69 = s'darkvision 240 ft.', #70 = s'Darkvision 60 ft.', #71 = s'darkvision 60', #72 = s'passive Perception 22', #73 = s'darkvision 90 ft.', #74 = s'Perception 16', #75 = s'blindsight 30 ft. (blind beyond this radius)', #76 = s'passive perception 9', #77 = s'Blindsight 60ft', #78 = s'darkvision 60 ft', #79 = s'passive Perception 12' }
    Runtime Notice: s'FFAL_genericSortIsArg1LessThanArg2() | ERROR: capture table failed sort: t1 type recast failure, itemIndex=2, data item, result, p1, p2, t1, t2=' | nil | bTRUE | s'(Empty)' | s'-' | { #1 = s'', #2 = s'', #3 = s'(Empty)' } | { #1 = s'', #2 = s'-', #3 = s'' }
    Runtime Notice: s'FFAL_genericSortIsArg1LessThanArg2() | ERROR: capture table failed sort: t1 type recast failure, itemIndex=2, data item, result, p1, p2, t1, t2=' | nil | bTRUE | s'-' | s'30 ft. dim' | { #1 = s'', #2 = s'-', #3 = s'' } | { #1 = s'', #2 = s'30', #3 = s'ft. dim' }
    Runtime Notice: s'FFAL_genericSortIsArg1LessThanArg2() | ERROR: capture table failed sort: t1 type recast failure, itemIndex=2, data item, result, p1, p2, t1, t2=' | nil | bTRUE | s'-' | s'(Empty)' | { #1 = s'', #2 = s'-', #3 = s'' } | { #1 = s'', #2 = s'', #3 = s'(Empty)' }
    Runtime Notice: s'FFAL_genericSortIsArg1LessThanArg2() | ERROR: invalid sort value p2=' | nil

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimfuture View Post
    I grabbed that debug FFAL 3.3.4 extension and interestingly, it's inconsistent, sometimes it tosses the error and sometimes it seems fine, just loading and unloading the module. Did a little bit of testing and it seems that if I go through the modules and load/unload them as I get the error I can load a lot the modules successfully, but it seem to fail mostly with modules that contain lots of data.
    Bear with me please, I need to make sure I understand what you’ve said here. If you load, say the Monster Manual, check for an error, unload it, check again, reload it and check yet again, upon doing this several times, once in a while you’ll get an error? It this correct?

Furthermore, if you do this with say two or three modules, you might get errors more often?

If so, interesting. Though given the way “sorting” works in lua and how lua handles arrays (tables). I can see this as happening.

I’ll try this too as a work on supporting some enhanced troubleshooting routines.

One thing I’d like you to try next time you get errors, if you haven’t done this already: right click in the field filters area, this should bring up the pop up context menu. Choose the “Refresh Data” option at about 9:00. Does the error reoccur?

Thread Information