STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

AL DM Question: Am I allowed to give out Magic Items.

Hello all,

First time post.

I DM at an AL store and am relatively new to it. I would like to give out magic items from the DMG , and according to the FAQ, AL DM Guide, and the latest updates to treasure in Xanathar's guide seems to give me the ability to give out magic items. When talking with the other DMs at the store they indicated that we are only allowed to give out items that are listed in the Tomb of Annihilation (the current book we are running) and nothing else. There is a problem with this, as the guides all indicate that we can give out both minor and major (perm) magic items, and Xanathar's guide shows that we should give out 20 major items to a party by the time they are level 20, and 80 minor items.

ToA doesnt have anywhere near this type of magic items, and the good items are tied to exemplary behavior to keep them or they disappear!

Is it true that the only magic items I can give during a ToA AL game is the items only found in the ToA guide, and if so WHY ARE THERE SO FEW ITEMS!!!! It is frustrating my players and I want to reward them. The treasure table in ToA is a joke with mainly gold and only 2 magic items.

Really appreciate the assistance.

Thank you.

Can only give treasure listed in the book in AL.

Blog Entries
    No you may not give out magic items.

Your players have to have access to the exact same resources that any other player in the AL has if they did they same adventures. Various adventures may not meet the guidelines set out by the DMG or other sources, but it's one thing that the DM doesn't get to mess with.

Think about it, someone plays a few sessions with a "generous" GM and then goes to a different store to play with a different GM who's "stingy". Now the guys/gals who have played with DM Stingy have the new player who's over powered (relatively) and their feeling are hurt.

So no, AL DM's don't get to handout extras or not give out listed treasure etc.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I understand the question as it was hard for me to find when I started out. Thankfully, it was recently posted on the DND AL Website and in the Player/DM packs on DM's Guild.

General – Magic Items for Sale

Magic items (including spell scrolls, potions, and so on) aren’t for sale without specific campaign documentation at this time. However, potions of healing may be purchased for their listed price in the Player’s Handbook.

The reasons being:
    1. There are no officially listed prices for magic items in the DM or Player handbooks.
    2. If players can purchase whatever they want it creates imbalance in the modules and hardcovers.
    3. If players can purchase whatever they want it cheapens rewards that are listed in the modules and hardcovers.
    4. It will make your life as a DM a nightmare (trust me).

The best way for players to start obtaining magic items are running modules, earning Rank 3 in their faction, and attending conventions/game stores that have Fai Chen's running. Also note that if someone gets a magic item that they don't necessarily want, they can trade it using the information listed in the Player's Pack.

Then why dont they increase the number of magic items in the adventure book?

I had several of my players make backstories that I can incorporate into the story line and many of them are there specifically to hunt down treasure or obtain magic items. Magic items make up a large % of why people enjoy playing.

Really a horrible disappointment to have to starve them of something they desire because they just dont want to add items to the book.

I get where you're coming from, and while I don't know if Adventurers League necessarily has any influence on the design of the hardcovers, but my suggestion would be to throw in some of the non-introduction modules from the DM's Guild. Most of those will have at least one magic item per adventure.

You could always break away from the AL and throw in some items. The characters will no longer be AL Legal, but if they're only playing at your table then who cares? Just make sure the players know and agree to it beforehand. However, if they want to keep them AL legal, let them know that ToA is very magical item light at the beginning, but it picks up as the adventure goes.

Thank you fellow DMs, you all rock.

I really appreciate your help.

May your tables be full and your adventures be legendary!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howell Family View Post
    You could always break away from the AL and throw in some items. The characters will no longer be AL Legal, but if they're only playing at your table then who cares?
    In his first post, he stated he was DMing at a local AL store so, breaking away from AL may not be an option?

In general, Organized Play is different from your average home game, especially where loot is concerned. Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society are no different. Each adventure has a specific list of loot that is available to the players to choose from. That keeps everyone on the same page since we're allowed to take those characters from game to game, both real and virtual.

I have incorporated adventure hooks to get loot introduced, but being at the store time is a constraint. So they are typically limited to 1 or 2 sessions. Really just seems like an odd oversight, or poor execution. People play for loot and adventure and while I understand the logic behind it, I just believe it is poor execution and just causes frustration.

The ToA is going to take several months to complete and bring characters into their 3rd tier. When comparing the loot tables from Xanathar's guide, it is understandable why players get frustrated. A level 15 non AL character is so much stronger than an AL character. It doesn't need to be this way.

I will continue to look for quick loot adventure hooks from the DMs guild to incorporate, but my frustration stands and its alot of work to comb through all those adventures looking for 1 or two pieces of loot.

Blog Entries
    Since you said you're new to Organized Play, I have to ask: are you the only one feeling frustrated? As a player (PFS, SFS and AL) we look at the OP rules and we know going in that there are some concessions and differences from a "home game." I don't get the least bit frustrated about loot, and I mostly play PFS which has a reputation for min/max players. I've (so far) never been around any other players who get frustrated at a lack of loot. If anything, my character is the most "behind" loot-wise because things have been so expensive and we only get so much gold per adventure. I couldn't care less -- as long as my character is able to contribute and keep up, it's all good and I was finally recently able to purchase my first magic items and weapons so it's coming along just fine.

I'd suggest talking to other AL DMs (they have an active Discord and G+ community, possibly Facebook as well) and get familiar with OP style vs home style.

Thread Information