Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Workshop Users Windows Versions

Hi.

I am tossing around the idea of building a simple 'IDE' for working with rulesets and extensions in an effort to learn about C#. I am curious what versions of windows (and specifically what versions of .NET to target) in use by people who may use such a tool.

How prevalent is pre-Windows 8 usage by people reading this chat?

Just curious.

Rewstyr

Blog Entries
    Rewstyr if it makes a difference i would stick to Win10.
    W7 has a mcuh larger installed base the W8.
    Looking at Steams Hardware Configuration pages would give you a gaming skewed reference point.

Blog Entries
    I use W7. Though W10 is acceptable (W8 is not).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Use current versions. Don't limit yourself to old farts that won't update

(I say this as an old fart, cept I update).
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I cannot imagine why an ide would need Windows 10 features. If you get on the bleeding edge, the virtual and wine guys may not be able to use it.

In my own case I am a Mac guy and use win 7 in the parallels software. I suppose I will eventually have to move to 10 but I am not looking forward to it

Or consider creating a plugin for Eclipse or one of the other Java-based IDEs. You won't have to mess with .NET or Microsoft proprietary wonkiness at all then.
    Patrick

Ultimate License Holder
    Currently Running (rotating home campaigns): Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Kobolds, Oh My! (5E), The Enemy Within (WFRP)
    Currently Playing: Castle Zagyg (Labyrinth Lord), The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (AD&D)

Hi.

The question wasn't really about what version of Windows to target, but what version of .NET to target. Using a newer .NET version may require some folks to install different .NET versions. I have been out of Windows for so long I have not kept up with how willing people are to installing new .NET libs.

Anyway, I was thinking of:
    1) building a XSD based off of the CoreRPG XMLs
    2) building a simple tree control that will display the directory/file heirarchy of a given ruleset/extension folder, with XML files parsed and displayed as nodes in the tree
    3) allow users to add/remove/edit XML nodes and LUA code in a text edit control
    * wonder if this would be useful as opposed to just spawning off YourEditorOfChoice to edit the nodes
    * was also thinking instead of having a text editor for XML stuff, maybe use the XSD for a given window class to dynamically build a custom form with edit controls for all possible attributes / elements
    4) Have a simple 'lookup' of existing windowclass elements that you could 'clone' from into given sub-window class
    98) be able to import graphics from PDF as icons/images
    99) have a way to graphically layout FG windows

As mentioned earlier this is a project to learn about C# development as I have not built actual Windows software since Windows 98.

Rewstyr

Blog Entries
    People that are wanting to do coding are prepared to install an environment in which they can do it.
    95% of FG users never contemplate diving under the hood.
    4.5% do contemplate it or start and then stop quickly.
    Those that continue with it tend to be determined little beggers...

What you are planning to do is not trivial but would be very welcomed.

Some of the coders are on Macs, and I am not sure how up-to-date Wine is with .Net? Not a big deal for me because I use Parallels and am not wed to .NET version supported by Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewstyr View Post
    Hi.

The question wasn't really about what version of Windows to target, but what version of .NET to target. Using a newer .NET version may require some folks to install different .NET versions. I have been out of Windows for so long I have not kept up with how willing people are to installing new .NET libs.
    Honestly I think Damned has it right, anyone that is planning to use it for work in FG will install whatever you have it written for. Is there really an issue with having multiple versions of .net? I coulda sworn I'd had multiple at some point but I dont write in .net so perhaps there is restriction.

My only suggestion, whatever is the most current stable version
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information