FG Spreadshirt Swag

Multiple FG machines, one copy of 5e.xml

Hi all,
    I have a few machines with FG installed on them. Is there a way I can have all of them use the same character folder (i.e. host the 5e.xml file in the cloud and use symbolic links locally to point to it on each of the machines)?

Manually syncing the characters is a giant pain in the ***, and often inaccurate due to the prolonged time from playing and then remembering which is the newest/most up-to-date version of the character.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    You can... but it will probably end up getting corrupted. The problem occurs if FG is running and the cloud tries to update or sync the file while it is in use.

If you always remember to turn off your syncing before starting FG (something I would never remember to do), or you only sync after running FG (again, something I would never remember to do).

If you are good with scripts and batch files, you could write one so that it launches FG and then when FG closes it syncs to your shared/cloud location. But that would depend upon your skills, your o/s, and your cloud or shared location.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes, I can easily script that. Was just hoping for a more elegant (read built in) solution.

Thank you for the response.

Yeah, I tried using google drive, but kept forgetting to disable it when firing up FG. I'll work on campaigns on my laptop, but when it comes time to run the game I'd rather use my desktop for the monitor space.

I'm thinking about using version control (git + bitbucket) so I could manually drive a sync from my laptop to the desktop. Are the campaign folders self contained enough that if I was just syncing that, I'd be ok?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ablefish View Post
    Yeah, I tried using google drive, but kept forgetting to disable it when firing up FG. I'll work on campaigns on my laptop, but when it comes time to run the game I'd rather use my desktop for the monitor space.

I'm thinking about using version control (git + bitbucket) so I could manually drive a sync from my laptop to the desktop. Are the campaign folders self contained enough that if I was just syncing that, I'd be ok?
    Should be fine.

Thanks damned. Tried it out tonight and seems to be doing the trick. And under version control restoring will be easy enough if something does go sideways.

Thread Information