STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

D&D Beyond and Fantasy Grounds

For any of you familiar with D&D Beyond: how much of it can be integrated with playing D&D on Fantasy Grounds? From the little I've seen you wouldn't use it really - we seem to have the same functionality already available through FG.

Is D&D Beyond strictly for face-to-face play, or will it further enhance our online games?
    Ultimate License
    Time Zone: MST (GMT-7)

Currently there are no links between DD Beyond and FG. That's not to say that one day there might be.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Thanks Zacchaeus - I should clarify that I didn't mean in a literal, technological way - more in the sense of it being an additional DM tool that does things FG doesn't?
    Ultimate License
    Time Zone: MST (GMT-7)

Blog Entries
    IMO, I don't think DDB would add much to a game if you use FG.

DDB's character Management is certainly better, but FG's character creation is fine for me. Similar opinion on the compendium aspect of DDB. It's has superior searching than FG, but FG is not so insufficient that I feel I need a better reference set.

As for homebrew, DDB does not support full blown home classes, and may or may not in the future from the developer comments I've read.

They have a very interesting offer right now where if you buy everything they currently have, then you get a 15% lifetime discount on future purchases. Myself, I just don't feel like I'm missing anything I really need to create and play. DDB, REalmWorks, Obsidian Portal, PCGen, Hero Labs all have things to offer, but I just don't feel they add enough over and above FG for me to spend my time with them. (Other's opinions obviously vary on this.)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I have the impression D&D Beyond wizards for creating stuffs are slightly better. After I tried it I immediately said: "Wow, it will be very cool to export the data from D&D Beyond to FG and viceversa"

Quote Originally Posted by st4lk3r87 View Post
    I have the impression D&D Beyond wizards for creating stuffs are slightly better. After I tried it I immediately said: "Wow, it will be very cool to export the data from D&D Beyond to FG and viceversa"
    The FG user Maasq is making a GUI-based character creation tool for FG called NPC Engineer. NPC Engineer supports other utilities like the Monster Maker. Perhaps, in future releases of NPC Engineer, Maasq could focus on support for D&D Beyond. I'll suggest that very thing to him.

Quote Originally Posted by L. R. Ballard View Post
    The FG user Maasq is making a GUI-based character creation tool for FG called NPC Engineer. NPC Engineer supports other utilities like the Monster Maker. Perhaps, in future releases of NPC Engineer, Maasq could focus on support for D&D Beyond. I'll suggest that very thing to him.
    In D&D Beyond there's also a Monster Maker and Spell Maker too. Of course it's 5e only.

Suggestion spotted

That's a good idea, and once I have ironed out kinks/bugs/broken code I'll have a look at that. It's still in beta, yes? I should be able to go get some output from it.....

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    Suggestion spotted

That's a good idea, and once I have ironed out kinks/bugs/broken code I'll have a look at that. It's still in beta, yes? I should be able to go get some output from it.....

Maasq
    I think the D&D Beyond tool is still in beta, though it's due to release on August 15, 2017.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d...ails-announced

I myself haven't tested D&D Beyond yet, but the demo is a free, no-risk, no-obligation deal that allows users to make up to six characters, so one could get output, probably preferably after the utility's official release on August 15.

Your utility's features nearly have beaten those of the Genius's Monster Maker. If supporting Monster Maker or D&D Beyond is an either-or for NPC Engineer, I wager that the initial positive feedback on the D&D Beyond beta recommends supporting it over the Monster Maker utility. The big drawback to the Monster Maker is that it's limited to the SRD and can't remember statistics for weapons or spells.
    Last edited by L. R. Ballard; August 9th, 2017 at 00:42. Reason: Deleted "that."

Quote Originally Posted by st4lk3r87 View Post
    In D&D Beyond there's also a Monster Maker and Spell Maker too. Of course it's 5e only.
    Right. Same limitations of NPC Engineer at present.

Thread Information