STAR TREK 2d20
Page 17 of 20 First ... 71516171819 ... Last

Thread: NPC Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    The first thing any real programmer says to me on Discord when they see my code is a less polite version of 'you are using too many global variables, pal'
    Just get it to work the way you want and refactor now and again. If you get an epiphany about the "too many globals" issue as you're working, you might very well be able to eliminate it (or at least mitigate it) then.

Of course, if you have your basic feature set kinda complete, now *might* be a good time to look at that issue, before it gets even more entrenched, or other features expect/demand globals.

Yeah, you're right. I need to learn proper OOP and store all my variables as key/value pairs in an object. I'll save that for the next part of the project, and live with a frankenstein's monster until I can face rebuilding the guts of this first part. I think the project would look very different if I was starting it today!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Blog Entries
    It cracks me up to listen to you guys talk in Martian

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I can add that - just two buttons, 'calculate average' and 'roll HP'? I'd be loth to calculate in bonuses from constitution though; there's a rabbit-hole of assumptions and calculations there I'd not want to plunge down at this stage. But if the HP box states (2d8 + 6) I can have it calculate '15' or roll 2d8 and add 6 for the old school feel. Is this what you mean? I can wheel in your code if it is something specific that I am missing here. Just let me know.

Maasq
    Yes, that's what I mean! I calculate using the average. So, (2d8 +6) equals [(2 x 4.5) +6], or 15. To get the averages for hit-point conversions as close to those listed in the original module, I plug in hit die until I get close, if not right on the number. That's why it's helpful for me to have auto calculation of HP.

A box to click to roll HP would be useful to other users, I bet; but I'm okay without it.

I can understand the desire to keep things simple. Auto calculating constitution isn't important to me.

No rush on hit-point calculation. Above all, work on what you're motivated to do--it's your project. I'm still doing a second edit of NPCs, using a revised version of your earlier AutoHotkey script to check numbers. It'll be some time before I lay out the NPCs for FRE2. In the meantime, other FG users probably have more urgent input on how to improve NPC Engineer. . . .

Yeah, you're right. I need to learn proper OOP and store all my variables as key/value pairs in an object. I'll save that for the next part of the project, and live with a frankenstein's monster until I can face rebuilding the guts of this first part. I think the project would look very different if I was starting it today!

Maasq
    I have refactored my code around 3 times now and its a total *****, but it gets things working efficiently so *SMH*
    My Project : FG5EParser LINK

Current Projects : Revamped FG5eParser v2!

Quote Originally Posted by L. R. Ballard View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean!
    Grand. That's an easy task; I can shrink the HP box and pop in a couple of buttons. I'll do that in the next couple of days. These were always the small 'quality of life' improvements that I was going to go back and make after ensuring the project worked

I might even deal with the constitution issue somehow.

Save and Load are 50% done now, I don't know why I am being so lazy with them. Update soon!

Maasq
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Discord channel.

New version: v0.6.7

This version introduces the following:

1. A new save structure. Plain text but more easily loaded back in, and containing more information.
    2. Complete tooltips again (I keep falling behind in this task - it is massive!
    3. Hit point calculation. Two little buttons to the right of the hit point box allow you to calculate the mean hit points (average, if you prefer), and to roll the hit points like it is 1982 again. Double-clicking on the hit point box will open a new window which will allow you to build a 'hit point expression', or to play with different values if you are L R Ballard.

Load function eventually arriving this week, along with an updated manual.

Maasq
    Last edited by Maasq; October 23rd, 2017 at 22:00. Reason: Old file download removed!
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Blog Entries
    I hope everyone who is interested in this is giving Maasq positive Rep when they can (And to all of those who contribute tools and extensions to the community!)

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Hey, thank you Lord. When can I trade these rep points in for cash? (or bourbon, at a pinch)
    Engineer Suite

Discord channel.

Blog Entries
    Hey, thank you Lord. When can I trade these rep points in for cash? (or bourbon, at a pinch)
    lol, All you got to do is come to the a bar near me and I'll buy the first few rounds *G*

Thread Information