DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Spellchecking

Blog Entries

Spellchecking

So, I know that there is no spellchecker inside FG, but I was wondering. Has anyone tried opening a module xml file inside NPP or similar and running a spellchecker there? If so, is there an FG dictionary or such that knows all the valid xml so I don't get errors on that?

I've never actually tried this, and before I spent time figuring it out, I thought to ask and see if anyone had a solution already.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The very latest version of Notepad++ lacks a Plugin Manager so you can't add a spellchecker to it. You can however load up the 32 bit version of notepad and add spellcheckers to that. I've never spellchecked XML files however I do them on the .txt files. You can also copy/paste into word and spellcheck there and then paste back. I don't know of a spellchecker that will miss out the xml tags in the spellcheck but I'n sure there will be one somewhere.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I don't know of a spellchecker that will miss out the xml tags in the spellcheck but I'n sure there will be one somewhere.
    The issue is that XML (eXtensible Markup Language) does not use standard names for tags (that's the "eXtensible" bit), and it doesn't use spaces. Forexample, "Green Dragon" would be stored as <greendragon> - which would be seen as a spelling error for that tag and for links to that record, whereas it's fine XML and just two correctly spelled names put together. So, it would be a very difficult task to develop a spell checker for the whole of an XML file - due to the way XML stores data and the fact that tags (and therefore links) could be anything.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So, I know that there is no spellchecker inside FG, but I was wondering. Has anyone tried opening a module xml file inside NPP or similar and running a spellchecker there? If so, is there an FG dictionary or such that knows all the valid xml so I don't get errors on that?

I've never actually tried this, and before I spent time figuring it out, I thought to ask and see if anyone had a solution already.
    I'm confused. Are you asking about spellchecking for text that people read, or are you asking for a list of xml tag names that Smiteworks using in the official products? The former can be done in any word processor that has spellchecking. The latter isn't available and probably won't be as I doubt Smiteworks can justify taking the time to compile the list for no in-house gain. Though, you should be able to drag any asset (except for images) from an official module into a campaign and export it to see what the name of the xml tag is in the module.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    No, spell checking for the part that people read. So anything in an XML tag can be ignored. It would be for finding typos as I input stuff manually in story entries etc, or for cut and paste errors from PDF files (since that stuff seems to always have some sort of error,like dropping 'l' s or such.

I did find this thread, which seems related, but I haven't tried it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Out-of-Notepad

I am using NPP 32 bit, so I do have the spell checker plug-in, but don't know if that dictionary mentioned for squiggly check would work...

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I just use MS Word. I'd imagine Open Office (or another free Word-clone) would do just as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    I just use MS Word. I'd imagine Open Office (or another free Word-clone) would do just as well.
    Just open the XML in Word? And ignore the xml tags? Does saving cause any problems? (i.e. does Word mess with the DTD or embed other stuff?)

Again I'm not following. You spellcheck before you put the text into the xml file. Are you talking about spellchecking someone else's product?

Regardless, when I open an xml file in MS Word, it puts the tags into containers that are not part of the text (and therefore doesn't register as misspelled). So yes, you could just open an xml file in Word and look for the red squiggles for spellchecking. Though I wouldn't trust Word to save. Open the xml in Notepad++ next to Word and do the actual corrections there.

Blog Entries
    So I'm authoring the content in FG. Typing in the story entries, doing up the NPC's, items etc in FG, not in an external app and then pasting or parsing to get it into FG. So I have all this content in FG, and it's never been spell checked. So I'm looking for a way to get this spell checked.

I input directly in FG because often times I only have 10 or 15 minutes to work on stuff and don't want to get into having to convert, lose my place, etc

For PDF conversions, I could just cut and paste into NPP or something first, and clean it up there, wouldn't be any more or less work, but for the FG authored content, I need a way to spell check it.

I'll post back with what I figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    So I'm authoring the content in FG. Typing in the story entries, doing up the NPC's, items etc in FG, not in an external app and then pasting or parsing to get it into FG. So I have all this content in FG, and it's never been spell checked. So I'm looking for a way to get this spell checked.

I input directly in FG because often times I only have 10 or 15 minutes to work on stuff and don't want to get into having to convert, lose my place, etc

For PDF conversions, I could just cut and paste into NPP or something first, and clean it up there, wouldn't be any more or less work, but for the FG authored content, I need a way to spell check it.

I'll post back with what I figure out.
    I'm interested to read about what you figure out.

There's no shortage of good proofing addons available for Microsoft Word to augment Spellcheck's capabilities. I own several hundred dollars of tools that I use in my freelance editing business for academics. The addons are powerful, but they have to be used in MS Word.

I've brainstormed possible solutions for proofing FG stuff, but there's no way to "reverse parse" FG content back into .txt files, so there appears to be no way to proof FG text that's initially created in FG. The ability to edit and proofread by using my tools is one big reason I'm training myself to use .txt and parse to create content, though I recognize how time constraints can lead one to develop content in the FG interface.
    Last edited by L. R. Ballard; May 30th, 2017 at 19:32. Reason: Added "to" in "one to develop"

Thread Information