DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Regaining HP vs Regen

So, I'm running 5E right now and have a question for other DM's. Right now I'm allowing the chill touch cantrip, which has the effect to prevent target from regaining hps, to disallow regen by the likes of vampire spawn. However, this takes away the most powerful tool of a creature like that, and makes this cantrip very powerful.

what are some of your opinions?

I wouldn't allow that. Vampire Spawn have resistance to necrotic damage (so should be taking half damage anyway) and their regeneration is specifically halted by radiant damage or holy water damage, the opposite of necrotic damage.

Zach had the proper approach, found this tweet that confirms my approach is incorrect:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/25...-regeneration/

With regards to a vampire:
    Chill touch does, indeed, stop the target it hits from regaining hit points
    Last edited by kylania; August 31st, 2016 at 17:43.

Blog Entries
    I agree with kylania on this. To me, chill touch is a necrotic effect, which wouldn't really hinder another necrotic effect.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Let me take the opposite view.

I think that your current usage is correct; there is nothing in the Chill touch spell which limits the kind of healing that the spell prevents; so I would argue that any kind of hit point regain is prevented by the spell and that would include the Regeneration traits of certain beasties such as Vampires and Trolls. The wording of the Regeneration trait says only that regeneration won't happen if radiant or holy water damage is taken. It does not rule out the possibility that some other effect would also prevent it. Furthermore although the damage dealt by the cantrip is necrotic damage it is not the damage type which is preventing the regeneration but it is simply an effect of the spell. If the spell is read, ignoring the damage part, then it is clearer that it is an effect of the spell rather than the damage that is causing the regeneration or regain from happening.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I think the wording of the trait and the spell make chill touch prevent the vampire 'regaining' hit points.
    Spell: "On a hit the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and it can't regain hit points..."
    Regeneration: "The vampire regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn..."
    Neither mention "healing" - it's "regain". Therefore, IMO, chill touch does the damage and prevents the vampire regenerating (until the start of the caster's next turn). Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by El Condoro View Post
    I think the wording of the trait and the spell make chill touch prevent the vampire 'regaining' hit points.
    Spell: "On a hit the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and it can't regain hit points..."
    Regeneration: "The vampire regains 10 hit points at the start of its turn..."
    Neither mention "healing" - it's "regain". Therefore, IMO, chill touch does the damage and prevents the vampire regenerating (until the start of the caster's next turn). Nice.
    I agree, but I think it goes further. Healing spells tend to use the phrasing 'regain a number of hit points equal to..' So for me chill touch prevents just any kind of healing, so Lay on Hands, Second Wind, magical and non magical healing of any kind.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Definitely. It covers anything (healing or other) that results in a creature regaining hit points. It's quite a nice cantrip with its 120 ft. range.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I agree, but I think it goes further. Healing spells tend to use the phrasing 'regain a number of hit points equal to..' So for me chill touch prevents just any kind of healing, so Lay on Hands, Second Wind, magical and non magical healing of any kind.
    Found a tweet that does confirm that Chilling Touch specifically does work against vampire regen, my bad! Crazy useful cantrip that one.

Thread Information