STAR TREK 2d20
    Blog Entries

OT: VPN/DNS to simulate US IP

Not gaming related, but I know some of you could help with this. And since I don't know what to search, I hoe you'll help

My daughter in studying abroad in Europe for the year, and she can not access any of our US based services like our cable provider (including email), Hulu, etc.

I know there are ways to get her to appear as if she is in the US so she can access these services. But how best to do this? What do I research? (Setting up a VPN server, using a DNS proxy, or something like HMA...?)

Thanks in advance.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Get a VPN provider for the year - PureVPN, HMA or similar.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Check this out:

https://freevpnaccess.com/

Should work for what you need.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have successfully used Astrill, Witopea and PureVPN to allow me to stream outside the USA. Some programs will read location from the GPS chip in devices, so I suggest watching via a laptop or other computer.

https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

If you use that url to sign up for PureVPN, I even will get a bonus :-)

I actually preferred Astril VPN because it could be installed directly on many routers and then everything that went through the router could be on the VPN, but PureVPN works with Fantasy Grounds if you get the dedicated IP option.

In China, you sometimes need a few options as the government blocks VPNs when they can, should not be an issue for Europe.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Blog Entries
    Thanks everybody. Will figure this out and get my daughter etup. No need for dedicated IP as she doesn't use FG

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    I have successfully used Astrill, Witopea and PureVPN to allow me to stream outside the USA. Some programs will read info from the GPS chip in devices, so I suggest watching via a laptop or other computer.
    I'm using PureVPN and I like it, but I have to say, the speeds are kinda low.
    Last edited by adamthompson; November 2nd, 2017 at 08:12.

Welcome to the forums, Adam!

Thread Information