5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
    I agree, not saying I would feel cheated if you didnt include a list. But I can understand that as the coding evolves features possible or impossible in unity in conception could switch around and become impossible or viable. You won't know how things interact until they are plugged in and I can respect that. Just godspeed, and good luck.

Any update after a few years to this new Unity version yet? It would be really nice to take advantage of not crashing all the time on this version when you try to load modules.

Howlerr, welcome to the forums. There has been no announced date for FGU.

As Trenloe explained elsewhere, you are having this problem because you are trying to load materials that are not player materials. Many, many people use FG without the problems you are seeing. Now, in fairness, the DM has to carefully manage what he shares, but the program is very stable if the DM is careful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlerr View Post
    Any update after a few years to this new Unity version yet? It would be really nice to take advantage of not crashing all the time on this version when you try to load modules.
    Hi Howler most games dont suffer crashes. There are limitations. FGU isnt going to magically make all limitations disappear. Sure the limitations will be different and hopefully we will be able to load up a few more modules. TBF for the most part you dont need 8 modules open and you dont need 18 windows open and you dont need 8,000 tokens loaded in your campaign. Now that you are aware that there are some limitations Im sure you will be able to prioritise what you need and close the rest.

Hi, I'm almost ready to take the plunge with FG but I am starting to wonder (and worry) about the future. From what I can see the Unity version has been in the works for over 3 years. I work in software development and I don't think I've ever seen such a long delay for a new release. Normally when it takes this long it means the project is in serious trouble and usually gets abandoned. Combined to the fact that unless I missed something we haven't seen any posts recently about the features list or any YouTube videos in the last 6 months, I truly worry that the Unity version will never see the light of day. Don't get me wrong, the current version is really good, but if they have devoted most of their development resources for the last few years on a futile project, it doesn't bode well for financial stability and it has let the competition catch up and overtake in certain areas.

So, have I missed something and the new release is coming soon or is it really hidden behind a thick fog of war and may never come to fruition? Thanks for any info or reassurance you can provide.

@nebbiolo - your worries are understandable. But, I wouldn't worry too much. Fantasy Grounds is at the most prosperous it has ever been - releasing multiple products every week, regular updates to the current version, RPG industry heavyweights releasing official products, etc., etc..

I'm confident FGU will arrive at some point. When is the big question. But, don't worry - I have no doubts that it will arrive. The recommendation on whether you take the plunge or not is always - get FG for what it has now. It is still worth the investment, very much so - the user base is increasing all the time and the functionality you have now is still pretty amazing, and is still being updated. Get it now, game with it now, and have amazing online RPG experiences...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Welcome nebbiolo

These questions have been asked and answered many times.
    Fantasy Grounds today is not the same product it was when the Unity project started.
    It has many, many more features and considerably more DLC and more system support.
    The team has doubled in size in that same period.
    So firstly all of the above would suggest that the business is quite the opposite of struggling.

SmiteWorks is a small company - no two ways about it - and that means that you have a very finite set of resources to work with.
    So time is split between continuing to develop and enhance the current platform and convert and develop new content with development of a new platform.
    SmiteWorks have not made any announcements as to when it will be ready - they are well aware that the project has been more complex and lengthy than they first thought - but continue to advise people to buy the product for what it is today - and that is the best VTT on the market.

And by doubled he means now there are 4 (or is there six now) full time developers.

Thank you all for the prompt replies. Yes I'm sure these questions have been answered before but since I could not find any recent updates on the Unity version I was fearing the worst. If community leaders like you are still convinced the project (and SmiteWorks) is alive and well, then I'll roll with it. I have a week vacation coming up and I fully intend to delve into FG, so you may hear from me again but this time for more technical questions...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    And by doubled he means now there are 4 (or is there six now) full time developers.
    employees I think, not developers

Also be aware, SmiteWorks is very ... shy (?) about promoting Unity because they know its easy to promise vaporware. Instead they keep their heads down

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information