5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds System Requirements?

Hi, I noticed something about the page with the system requirements.

Here it says that the minimum RAM is 4GB.

Now, I've seen this program with installed modules, tokens and so, working more or less well in an "old", low-end HP netbook with only 1GB of RAM, and no dedicated graphics card (other things are Windows 7 Ultimate and single core Intel Atom processor). Even if it could be smoother, faster, it even rolls the 3d dice.

So, I think that page could be updated. Also, the corrected requirements (those of a low-end netbook) can encourage people with old or current low-end machines.
    Last edited by demonsbane; May 22nd, 2015 at 18:36. Reason: nuance
    "We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
    J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

"It emerges that physics is basic but inessential; that is the crucial fact."
    Wolfgang Smith

The reason for the 4 GB minimum is because of data modules. FG itself runs fine on lower end machines, but really starting with 4E, people were putting the whole games worth of information in memory, monsters, classes, properties, magic items - at once. This literally ran low end machines out of available RAM for an individual executable, and would cause FG to crash. The devs got a lot of static about that, when it wasn't really their fault. Because 4 gigs is the max allow for one executable for Vista and 32 bit Win7+ thats why the system requirements were changed.

Blog Entries
    Probably best to leave it at 4 GB. When DMing I see memory usage in the ~ 3 GB range and I take pains to keep my tokens to a minimum and modules small. Some rulesets, RMC comes to mind for some reason, push higher than that in my experience.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thank you very much Griogre for the clarification.

Still, what do you think about this: I've seeing that low-end netbook running FG with the activated modules of 5e PHB and MM (full, Par5ed), along with a few others for tokens and maps.

What I mean is that if it's not expected that each normal user is going to load a huge quantity of modules (besides, that isn't even possible for a lot of RPGs other than the aforementioned one), such RAM requirements could be realistic and honestly lowered, which is beneficial: right now there is still a market for computers and netbooks with 2GB of RAM, which can run FG perfectly fine, even if by looking to the current system requirements page, their owners can think otherwise.
    M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."

Wolfgang Smith

I see your point JohnD.

Just let me add that some users (like me) take the FG app for GM's prep work in laptops, for games that will be run later via FG in more powerful desktop computers. In that sense, 4GB of RAM isn't necessary for the GM's prep work. And similarly, there are FG users that just want a campaign manager, and use it in such sense, not at it's full potential as the VTT it is.

I don't know. Maybe quoting the minimum system requirements also isn't a bad idea.

Just for what is worth.
    M.C. Escher

Wolfgang Smith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
    I see your point JohnD.

Just let me add that some users (like me) take the FG app for GM's prep work in laptops, for games that will be run later via FG in more powerful desktop computers. In that sense, 4GB of RAM isn't necessary for the GM's prep work. And similarly, there are FG users that just want a campaign manager, and use it in such sense, not at it's full potential as the VTT it is.

I don't know. Maybe quoting the minimum system requirements also isn't a bad idea.

Just for what is worth.
    I hear you... I also use my laptop for development and desktop when actually DMing a game. Not exclusively like this, but at least 50/50 I'd say... and I know we aren't the only ones who utilize laptops this way with FG.

I wonder if there would be some gain to split out requirements - DM and Player. I think there's some difference on the memory requirements there... when my DM instance is clocking in around 3 GB and I open a Player instance it's around 55% of the memory load from what I remember.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Its a catch 22.
    All the licenses that are for sale are GM capable.
    I was working with a new GM recently and he had a Netbook with an Atom CPU and 2GB RAM and he was happy with it.
    I have a Win8 Tablet with similar specs on it and I can run FG on it but its far from my first choice...

Thank you for adding more experiences on the subject.
    M.C. Escher

Wolfgang Smith

What the Steam webpage for Fantasy Grounds says makes sense to me:

Minimum:
    Processor: 1.6 GHz or higher processor
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    DirectX: Version 9.0
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Hard Drive: 500 MB available space
    Sound Card: n/a
    Additional Notes: Requirements vary by the add-ons installed and the number of players connecting to your game.
    M.C. Escher

Wolfgang Smith

Blog Entries
    Or consider "Minimum" and "Recommended", that's what I'm used to seeing in the CAD world.

Min meaning it's what you need to run and do anything usable. Recomended being what you should have if you want to do big stuff or not have significant performance impacts.

Thread Information