STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    when i first read your post i wanted to agree with you but after starting to write three times I changed my mind...

its not incorrect especially seeing that there are quite a few complete, almost complete and partial rulesets and themes out there.
    if you look at almost any complex application it will tout benefits that most users cannot achieve on their own - even not so complex apps.

but I get your point. it would be awesome if this platform could be customised by the average joe - but then I think we would have to sacrifice the amazing wizardry that the full blown rulesets contain...

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    if you look at almost any complex application it will tout benefits that most users cannot achieve on their own - even not so complex apps.
    Yeah, that's true.

I'm just a bit discouraged. I'm not really a D&D guy these days. There are however a bunch of unsupported or poorly supported games that I'd like to play but spending the time to develop a ruleset for something that, due to copyright restrictions, I wouldn't be allowed to distribute seems like an exercise in futility.

The only game I know I could release a ruleset for would be Eclipse Phase but my players aren't interested in that game. Another reason to not expend the time to write a ruleset for it.

Quote Originally Posted by malvok View Post
    There are however a bunch of unsupported or poorly supported games that I'd like to play but spending the time to develop a ruleset for something that, due to copyright restrictions, I wouldn't be allowed to distribute seems like an exercise in futility.

The only game I know I could release a ruleset for would be Eclipse Phase but my players aren't interested in that game. Another reason to not expend the time to write a ruleset for it.
    Usually you can release a ruleset - as game mechanics aren't normally covered by copyright laws, it is the additional material from a game that is covered (races, classes, equipment, etc., etc.) The 4E ruleset that comes with Fantasy Grounds has no tie in with WotC - it can be created and distributed. It is the D&D 4E material that can't be distributed, hence why there are no library modules that come with the 4E ruleset.

There are also more games being released under the OGL or a creative commons license - which allows a certain level of extra material to be added (determined by the license specifics). A few examples are GUMSHOE, 13th Age, d20, Pathfinder, Mongoose Traveller... Some others listed here (although it is a bit dated): https://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Open_Game_Systems
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    hi Malvok - if you were playing one of these games face to face you would have in front of you a rulebook (or 16), some dice and some paper and pencils.
    you absolutely can play any game you want using FG as the tabletop but without the automation.
    record stats and notes in the character sheet and throw dice and determine what happens.
    you can still share images and use maps and tokens.

the automation is serious stuff for an amateur coder and still not inconsequential (despite how easy JPG seems to make it look) for a LUA guru.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    as game mechanics aren't normally covered by copyright laws
    i think it is even "game mechanics are NOT covered by copyright laws" which seems bizarre to me but hey!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    hi Malvok - if you were playing one of these games face to face you would have in front of you a rulebook (or 16), some dice and some paper and pencils.
    you absolutely can play any game you want using FG as the tabletop but without the automation.
    record stats and notes in the character sheet and throw dice and determine what happens.
    you can still share images and use maps and tokens.
    Yep, that's what we do. I just want more. There is so much potential in Fantasy Grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Usually you can release a ruleset - as game mechanics aren't normally covered by copyright laws, it is the additional material from a game that is covered (races, classes, equipment, etc., etc.)
    There are also more games being released under the OGL or a creative commons license - which allows a certain level of extra material to be added (determined by the license specifics).
    That's the thing, jumping through hoops over what's allowed and what's not allowed.

I should investigate new games. Eclipse Phase is Creative Commons licensed, maybe there are more like that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by malvok View Post
    That's the thing, jumping through hoops over what's allowed and what's not allowed.
    It's usually pretty straight forward - if there is no OGL, CC, GNU, community use license then you can just release the a ruleset based on the mechanics of the game, the best example of this is the 4E ruleset that comes with Fantasy Grounds. There are other examples of community created rulesets here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/ many of these have been created for non-OGL (or similar) games.

If there is an OGL, CC, GNU, community use or equivalent license then it usually isn't too much hassle to give it a quick read and work out what you can distribute and what you can't.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    If someone wants to organize and write the core content, I'd be more than happy to provide feedback, suggestions and some of the write-up.

The v3.0.x launch is still absorbing a lot of time (plus holiday travel). Next up after that is getting the basic user manuals updated, then probably Steam integration.

Regards,
    JPG
    I could provide some of the core content but I'm afraid I don't have the time to manage the organisation and ongoing upkeep of such an endeavour.

I personally think a series of short video tutorial would be easier and faster to produce than written text guides as well as being easier for users to perhaps follow, a sort of customise a ruleset as we go approach. This I think would be easier to also maintain as particular aspects of the API and CoreRPG ruleset are updated. Perhaps a series of video guides focused on the more popular customisation requirements might also help e.g.

• Understanding the FantasyGrounds v3.0 CoreRPG Ruleset (Organisation & Structure)
    • Customising the Character Sheet
    • Customising the desktop theme
    • Customising Roll Types and Handlers
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    Zeus,
    That would be really cool.
    The only downside I see to videos is that if things change its hard to edit/update the video however as v3 is just out this shouldn't happen for some time?

I am a terrible programmer but can often put something together from enough examples but I find LUA/FG absolutely daunting.

regards
    Damian

Thread Information