5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Another thing that might help greatly increase sales is to add ways to buy things directly from the FG software. Like.. add a 'Buy Now' tab to the modules window that will show you what is officially available for the current ruleset. This would also go a long way to getting us module makers to submit our modules for sale through smite works. Could also help cut down on piracy there by linking the modules to the license key/account in question

Quote Originally Posted by dr_venture
    I don't believe there is much money in targeted banner/electronic impressions advertising anymore except with very, very large numbers.
    There doesn't have to be a lot of money in it, as the aim is to convert users to paid licenses form the larger customer base, hopefully resulting in a net increase in licenses. Also, as the user base continues to grow from year to year, the ad revenue will increase proportionately.

If you also combine advertising of your own store products, with the suggested in-game "buy now" button then you are likely to increase general sales just from impulse buying alone. Not to mention most FG users probably have little knowledge of what is actually available from the store.

If Doug does the convention circuit, I can guarantee he sees a better uptake if he's handing out CDs with a "hey buddy, take this and try it out with your friends, it's free". In a niche market, eliminating piracy and removing obstacles to entry is what will grow the customer base which you can monetize in other ways. In a sense, this is what Pathfinder did with the open playtest.

ENnie award for "best free product or web enhancement", FG would win this hands down.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Quote Originally Posted by ronnke
    ENnie award for "best free product or web enhancement", FG would win this hands down.
    I have to plus +1 this. This would give Fantasy some amazing exposure for sure.

But then I want a refund....JK

Chris
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

These are things that Doug and I talk about regularly. Perhaps once we finish our commitment to the previous developers late this year, we might look at alternative licensing.

On the ad-supported idea. From my experience working in a previous ad company, ads were paying cents for a thousand "impressions". I just don't think the market for VTT is big enough to support that model, but I'm sure we'll find someone in the market to talk with once we're ready to explore. If it helped conversions, then it would be worth it anyway. Maybe just nag-ware instead. The real problem is piracy becomes "a lot" easier for ad-supported and nag-ware products that are full featured.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by moon_wizard
    The real problem is piracy becomes "a lot" easier for ad-supported and nag-ware products that are full featured.
    But the motivation to pirate diminishes.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Oh ... no.. that't blanket ad networking, and the worst way to go. No the way to do it is to rent the adspace yourself. I can go into more detail later if you honestly care how it is done.

curious

I am curious if I would create a problem for myself if I did the following:
    I currently run ULTIMATE on my main PC and run my campaign from there and play in other games from that PC primarily. Sometimes I play a character in my own campaign from my laptop while I run the campaign from my main PC, which works fine since the demo/unlicensed works just fine with my ULTIMATE license.

I am considering installing the Ultimate license key on my laptop so that I can run my campaign when I travel, but I think that might cause an issue when my main PC is using it to host my campaign at home and my laptop is trying to play a character, even though my laptop and my main pc would never HOST at the same time.

Would this create a problem and if so, would it be easiest/best for me to install the Ultimate on my laptop under a different user account, and only use that account when travelling?

Blog Entries
    @Iceman . .

This might help answer your question.

The EULA states that you have a license to use one copy of the software on any one system and that the license is not transferable to any other system. In other words you are not allowed to install the software on several computers. The software itself cannot tell what computer it is running on and as long as no two players in a game are using the same license, the software will assume the above to be true.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=license_and_purchasing_issues#faq_lice nse_1
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Oh, guess I shouldn't run Skulls & Shackles then, encouraging piracy ba-doom boom

Blog Entries
    @[email protected] Im not sure I understand your post?
    You can run Skulls and Shackles. You just cant distribute any copyrighted materials outside the game session itself.

Thread Information