FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

FGII Campaign Tools v2

Hey All,

A quick note to say that I've recently updated Tenian's FGII Campaign Tools application (found over at the FGII RPGA Yahoo Group). I updated it mainly for my own use however after some initial testing and feedback, I thought I'd share the new release with the community.

For those of you unfamiliar with the original FGII Campaign Tools, its an application that Tenian orginally developed to ease the migration/copying of PCs from one campaign db.xml file to another.

v2 of the tools extends the functionaility to include extensible XSLT support enabling GM's to directly import PCs from 3rd party applications and/or view/print character sheets all from within a single application. v2 is .NET compliant and requires MS's latest framework (3.5). The XSLT engine is based upon SAXON9 (runtime bundled) and is XSLT 2.0 compliant.

FGII Campaign Tools v2 includes two bundled XSLT plugins. The first is based upon the latest cut of EugeneZ's excellent 4E CB XLS stylesheet enabling PCs to be imported from the latest build of DDI CB (Aug 09). The 2nd is based upon MeepoSose's excellent 4E Character Sheet XSL. I have been given permission to distribute modified versions of these XSL stylesheets along with the app.

Please note that the bundled XSL plugins are for use with 4E_JPG ruleset campaign files only. Whilst the application can support other FGII rulesets, it has not been tested and therefore results are unknown. Feedback is always welcome so please let me know if a specific ruleset causes any problems and I'll see what I can do.

Now that a foundation has been laid I am hoping the community will develop further XSL plugins to extend support to other rulesets. I plan to continue to collaborate with EugeneZ and MeepoSose on the 4E_JPG XSL plugins, improving them and widening the functionality e.g. detailed and linkable powers for PC's imported from CB. Stay tuned. If your interested in supporting the development of XSL plugins for other rulesets, please let me know.

I have included a basic ReadMe document which outlines functionaility available and usage.

The Beta of v2 can be downloaded from https://zgp.eugenez.net/FGII Campaign Tools v2 Beta/ DISCLAIMER: This software is in BETA. Use at your own risk.

My thanks to Tenian for his continued and valued support, to Moon_Wizard & co. for the outstanding 4E_JPG ruleset and to MeepoSose and EugeneZ for their XSL knowledge and contributions.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thank you for your work, zephp. I have long wanted to make a converter 3.5<->RPGXplorer. This may help me get that kick-started.

Great tool to import my character

I tried to import my PC from DDI character builder .although there is no step by step tutorial, but I found while I saved character in CB, I choose file format to "*.*" and save file name as ????.XML (???? is ur character name). then the campaign tool indeed can import the PC and showed the stats, feats,skills correctly. It's awesome
    seems the plugin is kindly outdate, at this moment this method can't correctly import power and some stuff, could you please update this tool to compatiable to latest version of character builder? thanx a lot ^^

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeoreign
    I tried to import my PC from DDI character builder .although there is no step by step tutorial, but I found while I saved character in CB, I choose file format to "*.*" and save file name as ????.XML (???? is ur character name). then the campaign tool indeed can import the PC and showed the stats, feats,skills correctly. It's awesome
    seems the plugin is kindly outdate, at this moment this method can't correctly import power and some stuff, could you please update this tool to compatiable to latest version of character builder? thanx a lot ^^
    Strange, I thought I changed the tool to accept a .DDI file. I'll check and if not, will update as soon as I can.

I havn't updated the DDI plugin in some time. Its likely the CB updates from WotC have also changed the character sheet XML schema. I'll need to check.

The plugin is actually and adaptation of Eugenez's DDI CB Import XSL, so he really deserves the credit for the import functionality. I just provided a the all-in-one-app to manage the XSL transformation. The original import/export tool was written by Tenian, I just updated Tenian's original import/output functions to work via XML/XSL.

As for powers, hang tight as Eugenez has already implemented a new version which incorporates powers, however some of the changes will not be available to users of the solution until a future 4E_JPG 2.x release. Rest assured though as soon as he releases a dev copy to me I will be working to get campaign tools updated as soon as possible.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates

Is it difficult to get the converter to accept 3,5 rules?

Blog Entries
    Not difficult per se just time consuming as you need to modify the XSL to deal with the 3.5e stats.

All you need is an understanding of the 3.5e ruleset module format. I assume its close to d20 but as I don't play 3.5e I can't be sure.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

DISCLAIMER-I'm an idiot...that said:

Eh, this is fantastic-I've been looking for a way to transfer characters to a new campaign-but I can't seem to get it to work...I can open the source campaign and the new campaign and export the characters to the target campaign-but when I load it-nothing's there. I tried the read me file-but didn't really find that helpful.

Here's what I do-(Running XP SP3)
    Open source campaign (going through Application Data folder)
    Open db.xml (characters now appear under 'Player Characters')

Open target campaign " "
    Open db.xml

Here's where I get lost...

Can you please detail what steps I need to take from here?

Blog Entries
    Once you have the source and targt campaigns loaded, simply left click a on a PC in the source window to select it and then right-click it to open a context menu which contains a few of options. View/Print PC Sheet, Export to File and Export to Target Campaign.

If you want to transfer the PC to the target campaign, select the last option, once exported FGII Campaign Tools will prompt you for the name of the file you want to save the target campaign as (this to ensure you don't overwrite an existing campaign db.xml file). Once saved FGII Campaign Tools will prompt if you want the newly created campaign file reloaded as the target campaign (this to allow you to continue copying other PCs etc).

Hope that helps.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

Has anyone made a d20/3.5E version of this?

Blog Entries
    Campaign Tools import/export of PC charsheet nodes functionality should work.

View/Print PC charsheets to HTML functionality will require a custom XSL for interpreting the inner-nodes of the d20/3.5E ruleset charsheets and the outputting to the desired format.
    FG Project Development

Current Project:

Thread Information