FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    I think you need to give your players the dedicated IP address. The alias won't work since that's related to your own IP address and your own IP address won't work since you don't have Port 1802 open. I'm not an expert is VPN's however but to me it seems logical that the IP address is the VPN one since that's how you need to connect - via the VPN.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think you need to give your players the dedicated IP address. The alias won't work since that's related to your own IP address and your own IP address won't work since you don't have Port 1802 open. I'm not an expert is VPN's however but to me it seems logical that the IP address is the VPN one since that's how you need to connect - via the VPN.
    Nope. The beauty of using a VPN like this is that FG will use the VPN address - providing you do steps #5 and #6 in order as I listed in post #17. If FG is started after PureVPN has an IP address, FG will use that IP address for the alias registration. Hence why I said "the players don't do anything" - they just join as normal using the alias.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Nope. The beauty of using a VPN like this is that FG will use the VPN address - providing you do steps #5 and #6 in order as I listed in post #17. If FG is started after PureVPN has an IP address, FG will use that IP address for the alias registration. Hence why I said "the players don't do anything" - they just join as normal using the alias.
    Which would be truly fantastic, if it actually worked, however as written it does not, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gestosad View Post
    Which would be truly fantastic, if it actually worked, however as written it does not, any suggestions?
    Once connected to Pure VPN, check that the PureVPN network in Windows Network and Sharing Center is shown as Private and not public.

Ensure that whatever security/AV software you have on your PC has an exception for FantasyGrounds.exe on the Private network. If it also does port blocking, make sure port 1802 is open within the security software.

Otherwise, discussions in this thread might help: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...?46155-purevpn

Failing that, what do you mean by it not working? Please provide more info of what you've tried and what doesn't work.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Well I will re-link this and keep adding onto it

Installed the PureVPN, made sure it is a private connection
    Bought the Dedicated IP
    Started PureVPN, selected Dedicated IP, entered the one i received in the e-mail
    waited for it to boot up and confirm i was connected
    started up fantasy grounds
    loaded a campaign
    gave my friend both the 4 worded alias and my external IP (the same one as the VPN displays, for the record)
    he tried both - still get the same error
    Also just a PS - the Connection Test within the game does say ''Success''

I can connect when i open a second instance of the game, and type in the 4 word cord (not localhost) but i am unsure if this means anything

The security program i use is ESET - i have added exceptions for both Fantasy Ground, its updater, and a generalized exception for 1802 TCP
    I have read every discussion regarding PureVPN i could find across the fantasygrounds forums - with no success

I have tried the DNS solution 1 person had to change it from dynamic DNS with no success

I have for the record, tried re-generating the alias inbetween each new method (just incase it would matter)

I have tried to disable my antivirus

I have tried to use a different PC as the VPN/Fantasy Grounds host

I have had 4 separate friends attempt to join both with and without password

I have added an exception in windows firewall

I have been relentlessly at this for almost 19 hours now, i refuse to give up as Tabletop RPGs are my main hobby, but i am running out of resources and things to try and i apologize if any tone of frustration is coming out on these posts
    Last edited by Gestosad; February 13th, 2019 at 22:58.

HOLY - DEAR - GOD IT WORKS

I have no idea why this made it work, but i had to add an exception for 1802 TCP in my (DISABLED) Windows Firewall

Yeah, very often "disabling" security apps only stops certain functionality, not all.

Glad you got it working.

For the record in case, anyone finds this thread in the future with my same issues; The firewall fix is the only part required, i am actually able to run this completely without the need for the VPN - might not be relevant to your situation, but worth trying before buying a VPN to try it

Thank you so incredibly much for all your help in both this and my other threads Trenloe - I may not be a mason which can pull this off in real life, but forevermore in my campaigns, I will include a Temple to Trenloe (Thank you for having a very temple-esque name for the record)

Quote Originally Posted by Gestosad View Post
    ...but forevermore in my campaigns, I will include a Temple to Trenloe ...
    Hahahaha - that's fantastic!

Bet he makes it a haunted ruins where there is always a TPK, that would be hilarious.

Thread Information