DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: NPCs?

NPCs?

I think I'm missing something. I'd like to create some NPCs, but it seems like in FG NPCs are just nameless monsters.

I'm sure FG supports the idea of non-player characters (with names, back-story, pics, etc), but I'm not sure how/where.

What should I look for? Thanks!

For what ruleset?

An NPC is the same as a monster in that the way to create them is the same. You can use the notes tab in the NPC to add whatever text you like and add links to images etc.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks, I'll play around with that approach some more. I'm using 5E for this campaign.

I handled this by creating the character as normal (I import from Herolab) then mark the Character as Owned by the GM. I also annotate them as "Hostile" in the Combat tracker. Seemed to work pretty well.

Note, if you use Herolab, create the character as a Ally of the party and then change it after import. Gives some funky results if you try to import a character that is already an Enemy of the party.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeller View Post
    Thanks, I'll play around with that approach some more. I'm using 5E for this campaign.
    So in 5E the difference between a "PC" and an "NPC" are that they are different object types in the database and have different data fields available to them (and some different functionality).

What these data fields and functionality are is based upon the core game and the majority need. So, PCs have the generally fields that a PC character sheet (like from the PHB) have. While an NPC generally have the fields that a monster from the Monster Manual has.

That does not mean that I (as DM) can't create a Big Bad Evil Guy using a PC object. Just figure out what capabilities your "Non-Player Character" needs and use that

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I see, thanks for the explanation. When I think "NPC" (at least in this campaign), I think they are basically much more like PCs. I don't care too much about the stats or skills (though they may fight as allies alongside the party perhaps); mostly I just want Name, Description, Picture, and such. So I think I'll try and create them as PCs.

Honestly from that description you should use NPC sheets. The PC sheets are more combat oriented and are more for fast "roll" playing, ie roll combat attacks, skills, spells. The NPC's have two tabs one with the "roll" playing the other for "RP" notes. It sounds like your NPC's are note heavy with minimal need for combat rolls. You might want to use a PC sheet for a NPC skill monkey that have a lot of skills because the NPC sheets assume only a few major skills.

Indeed, I would echo Griogre on this one. If you want to add lots of text and links to images then use the note tab in the NPC for that. There really isn't the same kind of thing on the PC sheet. It is more geared up to combat and to drag and drop abilities etc.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

When I first started using FG I used to build NPCs as PCs but eventually found it more functional to use the NPC option instead. I found it to be faster to create numerous NPCs because there was less data entry and it was easier to copy NPCs and change the name and make minor changes. I still use the PC option if I am making a full blown character that is likely to be traveling and leveling with the party.

Thread Information