5E Character Create Playlist
Page 62 of 105 First ... 1252606162636472 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Still having a random script error when I stack someone on top of a dead body, or when the player dies and comes back to life.
    If you get script errors, please always report the details of the script error - it makes is so much easier to try to track down errors if the developer actually knows what the error is and where it is (the error usually includes these details). There's a "copy to clipboard" button in the console window that displays the error. Please use that to copy/paste the error details into the thread when reporting script errors. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

@MrDDT

I am unable to recreate any of the errors you get. As far as my testing and running of my games, things work as intended.

1) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of dead foe. Worked.
    2) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by moved dead foe. Worked.
    3) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by removed dead foe. Worked.
    4) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back player. Worked.
    5) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back on top of blood pool. Worked.
    6) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player. Worked.
    7) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back. Worked.
    8) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back on blood pool. Worked.

9) Created new encounter, added to map, npc's show up hidden on map and combat tracker. Worked.

ps. The onZoom script warning can be ignored. It is due to the way the layers code works and it's not something that can be changed and it has no effect on the running of the game.

This alone has probably taken a good 30 minutes so far of getting things up and running, testing the various scenarios and replying with the results. Trying to test and recreate errors takes time and effort before I can even start figuring out what might be going wrong in the code, which is the bulk of the work.

This is why it's important to be as detailed as possible, like Trenloe said before the error is the first thing that's needed (you did have the error output in the image so that's fine), exactly what were you doing when the error occurred, how were you doing it, does it always happen, any specific tokens, module used if any, npc's at play (from what module if any?), what weapon/s is/are used, any altitudes at play, map used (module if any), etc.
    As you see I tried all sorts of variations of what you did to try to recreate the error, but on my end everything works without fault.

This become even more important now that most bugs have been cleared up, so it's really mostly rare outlier cases of very specific circumstances that there is no way for me to foresee, that errors show themselves.

So in general I'll ask of you all to please, try to do as much testing and scrutinizing yourselves as you are able to before you report a bug, and report in as much detail as possible. Make sure you can recreate the error by a set number of steps and/or situations, that you can then report with your bug report. So I can actually make good use of my time, of which is limited.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; July 9th, 2019 at 16:05.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Hey I just wanted to say that this extension is quite awesome and has been helping in my games quite a lot. However, I did find an issue which could definitely be on my part but is still something I am going to address. The npc tokens tend to not spawn in "auto invis" on the map. However it does on the tracker. Is this a bug with the extension or something in which I am doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Styrmir View Post
    @MrDDT

I am unable to recreate any of the errors you get. As far as my testing and running of my games, things work as intended.

1) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of dead foe. Worked.
    2) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by moved dead foe. Worked.
    3) Tested melee and ranged attack on NPC and player on top of blood left by removed dead foe. Worked.
    4) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back player. Worked.
    5) Tested melee and ranged attack on killed and brought back on top of blood pool. Worked.
    6) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player. Worked.
    7) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back. Worked.
    8) Tested melee and ranged attack on changed altitude of player, killed and brought back on blood pool. Worked.

9) Created new encounter, added to map, npc's show up hidden on map and combat tracker. Worked.

ps. The onZoom script warning can be ignored. It is due to the way the layers code works and it's not something that can be changed and it has no effect on the running of the game.

This alone has probably taken a good 30 minutes so far of getting things up and running, testing the various scenarios and replying with the results. Trying to test and recreate errors takes time and effort before I can even start figuring out what might be going wrong in the code, which is the bulk of the work.

This is why it's important to be as detailed as possible, like Trenloe said before the error is the first thing that's needed (you did have the error output in the image so that's fine), exactly what were you doing when the error occurred, how were you doing it, does it always happen, any specific tokens, module used if any, npc's at play (from what module if any?), what weapon/s is/are used, any altitudes at play, map used (module if any), etc.
    As you see I tried all sorts of variations of what you did to try to recreate the error, but on my end everything works without fault.

This become even more important now that most bugs have been cleared up, so it's really mostly rare outlier cases of very specific circumstances that there is no way for me to foresee, that errors show themselves.

So in general I'll ask of you all to please, try to do as much testing and scrutinizing yourselves as you are able to before you report a bug, and report in as much detail as possible. Make sure you can recreate the error by a set number of steps and/or situations, that you can then report with your bug report. So I can actually make good use of my time, of which is limited.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I don't do coding and I don't know what the issue is, so when I reported an error I've done all the testing I know how to do. If you do not want to spend your time on fixing issues with your ext, then don't. I didn't report the code because I didn't have it. I've also seen this happen to at least 10 other people other than me not even my table, nor when I was playing just watching on twitch. So acting like it's some one off error is a huge mistake on your end.

Good luck with your ext, I love it and all the work you've done with it. I will try to muddle through any errors I have until they can be fixed by you or others, and maybe one day FG will add more of this stuff directly into the client.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducktales View Post
    Hey I just wanted to say that this extension is quite awesome and has been helping in my games quite a lot. However, I did find an issue which could definitely be on my part but is still something I am going to address. The npc tokens tend to not spawn in "auto invis" on the map. However it does on the tracker. Is this a bug with the extension or something in which I am doing wrong?

Are you using any other extensions with it? I had this issue and another ext was conflicting with it.

If it isn't unique to the module, then it is definitely another ext in play...

At this point I've run hundreds of games with this extension across multiple computers and never had an unreproducible issue except for those due to a conflict with another extension. I have seen bugs, sure, but not like that. And so far, Stym has killed all the ones of which I knew.

Also, which people are you guys watching that are using this extension? I've been told repeatedly that it's not really important enough that many people use it. Which of course, is really just because they don't know about it or wouldn't be bothered to learn, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.

@MrDDT
    Thank you for your feedback. Please don't take my post in such a way that I was getting at you or anything like that, the highlighted lines at the end were meant for error reporting in general.
    I appreciate that there are limitations to what you are able to do on your end, much as is the case for myself over here.

From my side of the table, I have fixed a large quantity of issues and bugs as they have reared their ugly head. These are now few and far apart compared to how they were at the start, which is natural as software matures.
    While I don't categorize your report among them, there have also also been a number of incorrect reports, caused by incorrect usage, older versions, conflicts with other extensions, and non-general circumstances, such as particular modules having different NPC entries compared to the monster manuals etc. This is also a reason why I'm asking for as much specific information as possible. That's not pulled out of a hat, but from experience that has showed me the various combination of factors that can occur, and at times to do with very specific modules and NPC's, skills, weapons etc. only.

Each of these errors that have been reported, I have looked at, and I have fixed all that I've been able to recreate. And often booting things up to double-check before I even reply, even if I believe it to be an invalid error report. So it's not fair to say that I don't want to nor indicate that I've not been willing to fix them. If I hadn't, I doubt this extensions forum posts would have over 600 replies by myself and others, as is the case.

I'm sure you can appreciate however, that if you were in my shoes, with limited amount of free time each week after work and other real life demands. That you could find it frustrating and wasteful of your time and effort, which you'd put in for free for the community. When it could have been just as easily checked and tested a bit by the user, before reporting an error right of the bat. Reporting an error takes 5 minutes, checking it easily takes 15+ minutes for each, and up to hours to fix.

So given all the hours I've spent checking these things. I think it's reasonable of me to ask people to do their due diligence and help out a little before reporting something in. Actually taking the time, that I would otherwise have to take, to make sure there is an error and that it can actually be recreated in a set number of steps. I am but one person, you are many. All these instances add up over the weeks and months.

Again I am speaking in general here, not so much directly with you in mind.

As for this particular error, as I said I have already spent over 30 minutes testing back and forth, trying to recreate it on my end. I don't think that constitutes not wanting to fix the issue, and I apologize but I can't help but to feel a little irate that you would stipulate that could be the case given that. Fair enough, the general tone might have been a bit to the point and possibly felt a bit blunt in the overall reply. But the truth is I have not been able to recreate this error, I wish I could, truly. If not I wouldn't have spent all that time testing various possible scenarios to try to get it to occur for me. And the fact of the matter is, that unless I am able to recreate an error, I can not trace it, and test it out with code fixes in mind.

Overall I have not seen this error myself, and I say that as someone who has ran several games over a number of months using the extension where I use all its features. So if you have seen this particular error come up with 10 different people, someone of them must be able to tell you how to recreate it, step by step. If you are able to please report that back to me so I can then get it sorted.

Ok, so enough of serious things. In general though I'm glad to hear that you find good use of the extension and that it hopefully makes your games better, that's the reason I've put in the effort over the last 8 months or so.

ps. Thank you for helping out by replying to Ducktales.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; July 10th, 2019 at 00:32.

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Thank you so much for your time and effort. I don't do coding and I don't know what the issue is, so when I reported an error I've done all the testing I know how to do. If you do not want to spend your time on fixing issues with your ext, then don't. I didn't report the code because I didn't have it. I've also seen this happen to at least 10 other people other than me not even my table, nor when I was playing just watching on twitch. So acting like it's some one off error is a huge mistake on your end.

Good luck with your ext, I love it and all the work you've done with it. I will try to muddle through any errors I have until they can be fixed by you or others, and maybe one day FG will add more of this stuff directly into the client.
    You are pretty much right out of order here. The author cannot reproduce the error. You need to give him the information that he is asking for in order to help him track any errors. He is not brushing your issue aside, but rather doing a helluva lot of work trying to help you. If you would be good enough to give him a step by step list of how to reproduce the errors consistently that would be good.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You are pretty much right out of order here. The author cannot reproduce the error. You need to give him the information that he is asking for in order to help him track any errors. He is not brushing your issue aside, but rather doing a helluva lot of work trying to help you. If you would be good enough to give him a step by step list of how to reproduce the errors consistently that would be good.
    The problem comes in, is I was asking for "hey anyone else having an issue with this?" maybe it was a simple thing I was over looking. I've spent hours trying to fix it myself and with the help of others to no avail, so I figured why I would post it here. To my mistake, that unless I can make it happen over on demand, with a code, in a proper format, then I shouldn't have posted at all. So knowing this now, I will not post unless I know all this information (which will be likely never).

From my post, I do not believe I left it with the tone of "hey your **** is messed up you need to take the time to fix it". I've tried to work it out, pretty much the only thing I know how to do. Turning off all exts other than the required ones, and making sure that client of FG is updated along with the ext is the most updated one. After doing those things, plus playing around with making it happen as often as I could (Hence the random comment) I gave the information I knew.

I'm really happy that people are able to make these extensions at all. So using them, or not using them is fully my choice. As I said before, if this can't be fixed or not be ran into before and can't be fixed, I will be forced either to make the choice of not using the ext, or muddling through the issue when it randomly pops up.

Zacc, I'm more than thankful for all the time and effort you and a few others like you have put into helping people. You guys are my heroes of Fantasy Grounds. But unless I know how to make a step by step list of how to make it happen again, it is impossible for me to make it that list, wouldnt you say?

To be clear, maybe it came off wrong on how I said it about him not wanting to take the time to fix it, I meant more that I wasn't requesting him to take that time. I'm glad he looked into it, but I was not calling for that type of attention to the problem yet. I was more asking others if this was a well known error and if there was an easy fix before spending many other hours of my time to try to fix it.

@MrDDT

Water under the bridge, no hard feelings.

I'll keep an eye out for further reports of this error, hopefully something will come to light that can help to recreate it. Also don't be discouraged to post if you find out anything more.
    As you said yourself it's random, so there have to be some particular circumstances coming together to cause it. Which is probably why I've not seen nor been able to recreate it.

Sometimes it can even be a memory issues or other things which are out of our control as extension writers, so one thing to try could be to make sure you're under 3GB of ram usage during your game. FG classic starts to act badly around that point.

On another note, I was not aware of the time you'd tried to figure things out yourself and I appreciate you gave as much information as you were able to after doing so. Again the replies above were not meant for you in particular, but instead a general ideal approach when dealing with errors when possible is all. And it sounds like you did what you could. I don't expect anyone to know the inside working of the code or know how to code. It simply stems from wanting to help, and knowing what information can help towards that.

Happy adventures!

Are you using any other extensions with it? I had this issue and another ext was conflicting with it.
    The following extensions I am using are:
    5e critically awesome essentials
    5e combat enhancer
    core RPG- token helper
    DOE: Base extension
    DOE: location extension
    DOE: ole extension
    DOE: Sound extension
    Druid Wild shapes implementor
    enhanced images
    LAE: expanded options

Thread Information