5E Character Create Playlist

What do I need to start a new game?

Hello everyone, im completely new to Fantasy Grounds but due to scheduling issues with my normal DnD group, im looking to branch out into running games online. To that end, I need your help! I am looking to DM a homebrew game. As of this moment I do not plan to use premade Modules, though I could change my mind in the future if I need a filler adventure. So, what I am trying to figure out is what books do I actually NEED to buy, in addition to what license should I get? I plan on doing my recruiting from this forum to get other players that have Fantasy Grounds already, so hopefully I will not need the Ultimate License. I also have access to all the books already in PDF Form, but I have heard it makes things much easier to buy them for use on Fantasy Grounds.

I also plan on using Text Chat if possible, does Fantasy Grounds already support that or will I need to use Voice Chat via Discord or some similar program? Again, any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Hey Shadoven

You will need a Standard license (or Ultimate).
    This will come with the SRD for 5E which is enough to get started but you will eventually want to get the PHB, MM and DMG in that order as you want more options.
    FG is designed for TEXT play so you wont need anything else on that front.
    You will need to do more prep work when playing TEXT and you will want to copy the whole PDF into FG before game.

So even though I own physical/PDF copies of all the 5E books, I will still need to purchase them through Fantasy Grounds?

What do you mean by needing to prep more for when playing via Text?

Also, what do you mean by copying the PDF into FG before the game? Again, thanks in advance for all the help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoven View Post
    So even though I own physical/PDF copies of all the 5E books, I will still need to purchase them through Fantasy Grounds?

What do you mean by needing to prep more for when playing via Text?

Also, what do you mean by copying the PDF into FG before the game? Again, thanks in advance for all the help!
    When you go see a movie at the cinema they dont usually give you the DVD to take home as well. Different formats of products typically have to be bought again. You can manually enter the data in yourself it just takes time.

Why do you have to prep more when playing text? Because text takes a lot longer to type than it does to read out loud. Your players enter a new scene - you could describe it by voice or you could describe it by typing. If you had pre-typed you can share it much more quickly. No one has to wait while you type. In a voice game you could just read from the source.

As you write the adventure on FG you can set the encounter and then link it right into the adventure where you would need it, map as well, and treasure - that saves time. You can also use text boxes like store bought adventures and just drag those into the char bar to save you time from typing everything out during the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    When you go see a movie at the cinema they dont usually give you the DVD to take home as well. Different formats of products typically have to be bought again. You can manually enter the data in yourself it just takes time.

Why do you have to prep more when playing text? Because text takes a lot longer to type than it does to read out loud. Your players enter a new scene - you could describe it by voice or you could describe it by typing. If you had pre-typed you can share it much more quickly. No one has to wait while you type. In a voice game you could just read from the source.
    I understand all that, from the way that reply was worded I was wondering if there was MORE to it than just that. Ive played games online using Text before im used to typing info out to players instead of speaking it out loud. If that is the only additional prep needed for Text games, im good to go. As for the PDFs and rebuying, again I understand they want me to buy the books again from them. Was more wondering if I could enter the info myself or if it would just be better overall to just rebuy them for use on Fantasy Grounds. Thanks for any advice and info you give!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoven View Post
    I understand all that, from the way that reply was worded I was wondering if there was MORE to it than just that. Ive played games online using Text before im used to typing info out to players instead of speaking it out loud. If that is the only additional prep needed for Text games, im good to go. As for the PDFs and rebuying, again I understand they want me to buy the books again from them. Was more wondering if I could enter the info myself or if it would just be better overall to just rebuy them for use on Fantasy Grounds. Thanks for any advice and info you give!
    Its just time vs money.
    The books on Fantasy Grounds are about 40% less than RRP so they are pretty good value.
    Just start with the SRD if you are not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Its just time vs money.
    The books on Fantasy Grounds are about 40% less than RRP so they are pretty good value.
    Just start with the SRD if you are not sure.
    Ahhh gotcha, so not needed but will save time on prepwork. Thank you!

To follow up on purchasing stuff and what not, am I able to make my own tokens and battlemaps, or is it just simpler to buy this sort of stuff off the website? I imagine for encounters most of the time it will be custom ones, so are you able to generate your own battlemaps in Fantasy Grounds?

Blog Entries
    FG can use your custom battlemaps and tokens but you cant make them within FG.
    There are many tools for both ranging from free ones like tokenstamp and dungeon painter online to a whole range of paid products.

Welcome to FG!

For encounters where I don’t have a map prepared already, I like to have a “plain” map that I can then use similar to how you might use a vinyl battle map in-person. I use a parchment image I found somewhere online and use FG to put a grid on it. Instant map for pretty much any encounter. I also have ones for grassland, dirt, and stone, and just pick whichever works best for the scene. I’m looking forward to there being better drawing tools in FG eventually to use on a map like that.

I mostly use FG for in-person play on a TV with plexiglass on top, so I actually use this exactly like a battle mat, with markers right on the plexiglass.

Regardless, I hope this helps!

Thread Information