5E Character Create Playlist
Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Dracones View Post
    On the 5E front, I thinking running 5E has gotten a lot easier since the PHB/MM official release and will be even more so once some modules come out for it. Unfortunately the con was already sort of setup by the time that happened. For the next con if there are easy to run modules like LMoP that'd probably go a long way towards getting more GMs in for Fantasy Grounds.
    +1 Definitely. I've started putting together some of the Tyranny of Dragons Expeditions and the PHB/MM have made that go so much easier. Once we get the DMG (soon I hope?) and the 3 adventure books out, there will be some amazing resources out there for 5e. Princes of the Apocalypse alone looks just absolutely amazing from what I've read so far.

I have to say for me, running games in FG" is a lot of work I just couldn't put up this year as I had no time. This is the one big issue with FG2 in my eyes, not to be able to just load a map from somewhere and get going. But my main issue really was getting pregens done. It would probably be easier for me if I had Hero Labs but that stuff is so overpriced I have no chance of ever getting it. Add to it that I have vision issues and only a small screen (tablet mostly, sometimes laptop) and have to do my graphics stuff on a different machine than I play on, it gets very complicated.

But there are folks out there who love making chars I heard, so I'm thinking of asking for volunteers to make the pregens for me

I suggest anyone3 running a non-mainstream game should take care to have enough pregens ready and make sure to let the players know they do not need to know the rules - after all FG" calculates it all and they just need to know what to click. I did play in a Savage World game this year, and I had very little remembrance of the system. This is a really big advantage of FG2 and it should be used. People don't try new things because they don't want to learn all the rules for just a one shot - I hear that at the real tables all the time. Well, here they can!

May I also suggest trying a game day every 3 months or so, which would also require preregistering and not have people try to find games via the forum which seems to be an issue for some. Those with ultimate licences could prepare games for those just wanting to try the software out. This of course would require people to be willing to participate, but I guess at least the PFS or adventure league games could benefit from it.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimtina View Post
    I have to say for me, running games in FG" is a lot of work I just couldn't put up this year as I had no time. This is the one big issue with FG2 in my eyes, not to be able to just load a map from somewhere and get going. But my main issue really was getting pregens done. It would probably be easier for me if I had Hero Labs but that stuff is so overpriced I have no chance of ever getting it. Add to it that I have vision issues and only a small screen (tablet mostly, sometimes laptop) and have to do my graphics stuff on a different machine than I play on, it gets very complicated.

But there are folks out there who love making chars I heard, so I'm thinking of asking for volunteers to make the pregens for me

I suggest anyone3 running a non-mainstream game should take care to have enough pregens ready and make sure to let the players know they do not need to know the rules - after all FG" calculates it all and they just need to know what to click. I did play in a Savage World game this year, and I had very little remembrance of the system. This is a really big advantage of FG2 and it should be used. People don't try new things because they don't want to learn all the rules for just a one shot - I hear that at the real tables all the time. Well, here they can!

May I also suggest trying a game day every 3 months or so, which would also require preregistering and not have people try to find games via the forum which seems to be an issue for some. Those with ultimate licences could prepare games for those just wanting to try the software out. This of course would require people to be willing to participate, but I guess at least the PFS or adventure league games could benefit from it.
    Did you just volunteer to organize a game day?

Seriously. The Society of Extraordinary Gamers have pick up/one-shot games all the time using a booking system through the calendar.

I used to recruit for one-shots here, on steam and G+ but due to the organizational nightmare I stick to SXG and FG Con now.

Remember, FG Con started as a yearly event but was promoted to a twice a year event due to popular demand. Events like this require a lot of work. I just joined the FG team so that makes four now. If the interest is there for more events like these and more people are willing to organize it I'm sure the FG team would offer their support in the form of using the website at least. Or maybe I just made an enemy out of Trenloe and Damned hehe
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

The Online Region Coordinator for AL is trying to get games going just about every night of the week except Wed.
    Classic & Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: US Central Time [CST = GMT-6/CDT = GMT-5]

Blog Entries

I find the hardest part of prepping for a One Shot is prepping the Characters. It does take a lot of time. Think about it - your first session of a new RP campaign is often spent just making Characters - and everyone is making their own. Some of the rulesets have a thread where people can upload characters to - perhaps we should encourage more of this. For my C&C session I made 4 new characters and then I went back and grabbed 3 more from another campaign and just modified them a little.

I dont find the building encounters etc very time consuming at all - making maps certainly can be though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnight View Post
    The Online Region Coordinator for AL is trying to get games going just about every night of the week except Wed.
    Awesome! Whats wrong with Wednesdays?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask_of_winter View Post
    Remember, FG Con started as a yearly event but was promoted to a twice a year event due to popular demand. Events like this require a lot of work. I just joined the FG team so that makes four now. If the interest is there for more events like these and more people are willing to organize it I'm sure the FG team would offer their support in the form of using the website at least. Or maybe I just made an enemy out of Trenloe and Damned hehe
    FG Con will NOT run more than twice a year. I keep hearing rumours of a sister Con though....

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Awesome! Whats wrong with Wednesdays?
    That's the "in-store night."
    Classic & Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: US Central Time [CST = GMT-6/CDT = GMT-5]

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnight View Post
    That's the "in-store night."
    Hah! Of course

This is the one big issue with FG2 in my eyes, not to be able to just load a map from somewhere and get going. But my main issue really was getting pregens done.
    Sorting out pregens is not just an issue limited to Fantasy Grounds, it's an issue for all convention GMs who want to have characters ready to go for their games.

It would probably be easier for me if I had Hero Labs but that stuff is so overpriced I have no chance of ever getting it.
    I take it, as you mention HeroLab, that you're referring to Pathfinder/3.5e games? (I know HeroLab is more than just that, but 3.5E/Pathfinder is the main use on these forums). If so, then there is PCGen as an alternative: https://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php

To be perfectly honest, there are lots and lots of 3.5e/Pathfinder pregens out there. For example, the Pathfinder NPC Codex give you every level of the main classes: https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/...ore/index.html And there are lots and lots of characters that could be used as pregens on d20pfsrd.com.

And there are also plenty of sources to get pregen stats for most other mainstream systems. You just have to go looking...

If you're struggling, just ask on the forums. But not the night before the convention starts!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information