Starfinder Playlist

Parsec/Streaming

Hey all!

If this is in the wrong section, feel free to correct me.

I am running Parsec to stream my home PC remotely to my laptop (many leagues away).

All of my regular PC games stream silky smooth even on crappy hotel wifi.

Last night I tried to run Fantasy Grounds and was able to get into the table myself but my players could not do so. I ran the test on the starting screen but it failed. I WAS (however) able to join another table and had no problem playing the one shot one of my players had up his sleeve. A good time was had by all, but I would very much like to be able to host while streaming remotely. I travel quite a bit and this would mean not having to cancel or change nights.

FG classic works perfectly on my home PC, I am streaming Windows to a MacBook Pro, and I heard from one of my players that this issue would not happen as much once Unity is released.

Any advice on how to get classic running with this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for such being such a supportive and informative community!

-The Professor

If you're travelling I'm assuming you're running from hotels, offices, etc.? If so, then you're best bet is to use some form of VPN to provide connectivity for your players.

Some options here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives

The most common are: Hamachi (free, but requires everyone to install Hamachi software) or PureVPN (cost - and you need to get the dedicated IP add on, but only the GM needs to install this, it's transparent to the players). Personally, I use PureVPN.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Your issue is not the VPN issue Trenloe mentions, I think he didn't fully read your post.

Regardless of you streaming or remote accessing your home PC that is hosting FG, you first need to get that PC to be able to perform a successful connection test. This has nothing to do with the streaming/remote access portion (unless that application happens to use port 1802).

Please read this post (not the whole thread), then answer the 7 questions if you are still having trouble; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Your issue is not the VPN issue Trenloe mentions, I think he didn't fully read your post.

Regardless of you streaming or remote accessing your home PC that is hosting FG, you first need to get that PC to be able to perform a successful connection test. This has nothing to do with the streaming/remote access portion (unless that application happens to use port 1802).

Please read this post (not the whole thread), then answer the 7 questions if you are still having trouble; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained
    I'm not convinced. It works when he's not streaming. He needs to sort out the connectivity when he is streaming.

Blog Entries
    Professor, I think we need more details, given that we don't all agree on what's going on. For instance;
    Last night I tried to run Fantasy Grounds and was able to get into the table myself but my players could not do so. I ran the test on the starting screen but it failed. ...
    Does this mean you could connect to your home PC via FG as a Client, or that you could connect to your home PC via Parsec?

FG classic works perfectly on my home PC,
    Does this mean when you are at home players can connect to a FG game you are hosting? Or that you can launch FG as a GM and access your campaign as the GM? Or does this mean when you host a game from home, your players can connect?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Professor, I think we need more details, given that we don't all agree on what's going on. For instance;

Does this mean you could connect to your home PC via FG as a Client, or that you could connect to your home PC via Parsec?

I was able to connect to both. Everything worked fine at the house, connected via Parsec and ran the laptop on a different network from the PC.

Does this mean when you are at home players can connect to a FG game you are hosting? Or that you can launch FG as a GM and access your campaign as the GM? Or does this mean when you host a game from home, your players can connect?
    Players were able to connect just fine and I could connect as the GM.

I WAS able to connect via Parsec and play as a PC but could not host when I was away.

It's really not that big of a deal, anyway.

I can just deal with not being able to host while I'm away.

Was trying to see if anybody else had an issue like this.
    Last edited by TheProfessor757; August 20th, 2019 at 23:53.

Okay.

Solution:
    Got home, saw that port 1802 was still not allowed through the firewall.
    Added the new rule.
    Still wasn't working.
    Restarted the PC: working on both in home and remote streaming platforms.
    Classic.

Thread Information