5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

5E: Use Up Powers extension

Here is a tiny and relatively trivial extension that I wrote to automatically mark off certain powers as they are used. It was written for my party's 5E Paladin "Lay on Hands" and Fighter's "Second Wind", but it should work on much more than that.

5E powers are complex and flexible and it's difficult to ensure the behaviour is correct in all cases, so I've limited the code to only come into play for simple powers (non-group powers that have a single action). If there is consensus on when it's useful (and when it isn't) to mark off one use then I will add more conditions to the code.

* Marks off 1 power use when the power's mini action button is clicked (or an icon-drag starts).
    * Players can always return to 'Standard' or 'Preparation' mode to correct the number used if there is a mistake.
    * In 'Combat' mode the power will vanish from the list after the last use (I didn't need code for this - it came for free)
    * Currently limited to non-group powers with only one associated action.
    * The code uses Minty23185Fresh's handy extension conflict mitigation so thanks to him for his patience and that.

lay_on_hands.png This picture shows how it would work for a granular, 1 point, Lay on Hands power for a 2nd level Pally.

v0.1: Initial release.
    v0.2: Fix bug caused by change in the way FGU store power info.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steeleyes; September 14th, 2023 at 01:44.

Nice work
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Very nice
    I will point my DM to this as our Paladin seems to think everything in FG is automated. At 6th level was laying on hands until he healed almost the entire party before it was seen in the chat window he healed about 80 points of damage and we yelled at him to stop
    He said he thought the button would disappear when he ran out of healing
    Poor DM had to go back and figure out our correct HPs and straighten it out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkon View Post
    Very nice
    I will point my DM to this as our Paladin seems to think everything in FG is automated. At 6th level was laying on hands until he healed almost the entire party before it was seen in the chat window he healed about 80 points of damage and we yelled at him to stop
    If he had set it up with a power with limited uses and was using Combat mode it would have.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    If he had set it up with a power with limited uses and was using Combat mode it would have.
    I think the point was that he thought when he used the power it would automatically tick off each time. It doesn’t of course, that has to be done manually. But, yes, if he had ticked sufficiently then it would disappear.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    I think the point was that he thought when he used the power it would automatically tick off each time. It doesn’t of course, that has to be done manually. But, yes, if he had ticked sufficiently then it would disappear.
    Exactly, it was set up to manually click, but the Paladin failed to realize it and just kept going

Very nice
    Yes that's right, so much is automated that it can catch us all out when something isn't. Hopefully your DM can use this extension to partially automate one more thing, but folk will always need to keep a close eye on things.

I can't see a good solution to the general case of powers that have multiple actions (which is probably why the 5E developers don't link the actions to uses - I can see the wisdom in this).

Hmm I loaded this and selected it when opening a test campaign. I verified it was loaded in the chat window.

I made a level 5 Paladin, loaded his Lay on Hands in the action tab, set the heals to Pal level (so it would be 5 instead of the default 25), then renamed the power to Lay on Hands and set it to 5 daily uses.

I placed the character on the CT, selected Combat and Actions, gave him some damage, targeted himself, and when I used the Lay on Hands it does not tick off the uses. Have I done something incorrect in my set-up?

Thanks

Hmm I loaded this and selected it when opening a test campaign. I verified it was loaded in the chat window.

I made a level 5 Paladin, loaded his Lay on Hands in the action tab, set the heals to Pal level (so it would be 5 instead of the default 25), then renamed the power to Lay on Hands and set it to 5 daily uses.

I placed the character on the CT, selected Combat and Actions, gave him some damage, targeted himself, and when I used the Lay on Hands it does not tick off the uses. Have I done something incorrect in my set-up?
    It sounds to me like your setup is fine. I ran a test just as you described and it worked. Let's work through it step by step.

It's a 5E test campaign? You already confirmed you saw the extension was loaded like this...
    uup1.PNG

It's a GM test or player test? I created a new Pally, I dropped Human, Noble and then Paladin 5 times on to the character sheet (all from the PHB).
    I then opened Lay on Hands from abilities and dropped the upper left red dragon on to the actions tab.
    I changed to 5 uses per day and tested the default 25pt heal (it worked), then I edited the heal to change it to 5 points and confirmed it still worked.

I didn't have to rename the power. What edit did you need to make to the name? I tried one row of 'lvl' or 'pal' both worked

uup2.PNG

Do you see the heal in the chat window? Can you try with other extensions off?

uup3.PNG

Targeting shouldn't matter (I tried both ways). The heal should proceed as normal (I don't interfere with that). Being in the combat tracker shouldn't matter (I tried it both ways).

Make sure the Lay on Hands is a power (not a spell or cantrip). I notice some of the effect extensions bring powers in as cantrips rather than powers.
    Last edited by Steeleyes; April 13th, 2018 at 09:55.

I got it now, Thanks Steeleyes
    What I was doing was making a Powers category named "Lay on Hands" and setting the whole category to 5 times a day. This, obviously, does not work because if I added anything else to the category it would tick off uses as well. Just like you mentioned it not working for Multi Use powers.

Instead I went to the Preparation tab and set it to 5 times a day then to Combat and it worked like a charm

Very helpful extension when you have some players that are easily distracted by all the shiny things FG brings to the table

Thanks

Thread Information