DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 14 of 37 First ... 4121314151624 ... Last
    The problem is that "gear" is used in a lot of stat blocks for equipment. Gear, combat gear and other gear are frequently used after SQ - hence the parser found it and thought that was an equipment entry. The further issue with gear is that it is rarely at the beginning of a line (especially combat gear and other gear) so the parser can't just look specifically for "gear" at the beginning of the line.

What you're experiencing is a very rare occurrence that would be hard to fix 100% without opening up other/different possibilities of a similar issue. But, for a possible future release, I'll see if there's a relatively efficient and reliable way to not look for gear once special abilities is reached. I'm at the point where I don't want to rewrite key areas of code as these have been extensively tested with only a few issues. The danger of rewriting code is that you introduce new issues where the code worked previously.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Making it obvious what was causing the problem would be good, even if fixing it isn't an option. But I hear ya on cracking open stable chunks of code.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    Making it obvious what was causing the problem would be good, even if fixing it isn't an option.
    "Making it obvious" would probably take more code than fixing it.

And, to be perfectly honest, I saw straight away what the issue was - "gear" was the only word missing at the NOMATCH section in the .fpf file. This is really the best way to debug these one-in-ten-thousand rare occurrences - look at the .fpf file first then enable logging and see if there are any clues to an issue. There is no way that I could even attempt to make things obvious for every possible occurrence of an issue - it would take lots of coding and would probably be wrong just as often as it was right.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. If something was breaking the parser on a regular basis I'd look to provide a reliable fix, if there's something that rarely occurs then I'm afraid it is going to be very low on the fix list. I, and other GMs I'm sure, would much rather my creature parser development time is spent on adding new features (such as feat and universal monster rule parsing) and fixing more regularly occurring issues.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

yeah, that's how I finally figured it out. thanks.

Hi i have this error and i don't know why :Error in btnStartParse_Click, Message: character of not valid name in ' The invasiondelaplaiedumonde '. The character ' ', hexadecimal value 0x27, cannot be included in a name

can you help me

Quote Originally Posted by Darmus View Post
    Hi i have this error and i don't know why :Error in btnStartParse_Click, Message: character of not valid name in ' The invasiondelaplaiedumonde '. The character ' ', hexadecimal value 0x27, cannot be included in a name
    Remove any non alphanumeric characters from the creature name. In this case there is an apostrophe ' in the name, remove that.

I sanw my mistake my file name have an apostrophe

Tanks ^^

but now i have this one :Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: the empty chain(channel) " does not establish(constitute) a local valid name

i m on my files for see were is my error

Well, I finally got to the point where I had to use the Creature Parser, so I downloaded and installed version 2.0.0.1, but, alas, it looks like it failed on me on my first attempt.

The .mod that was shared with me for RotRL is missing the Goblin Commando (page 18 of the Anniversary Edition). So, I created a text file with the stat block I had lifted directly from the .pdf:

GOBLIN COMMANDO XP
    CR
    1/2
    HP
    Male goblin ranger 1 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 156)
    NE Small humanoid (goblinoid)
    Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5
    DEFENSE
    AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex, +1 size)
    hp 12 (1d10+2)
    Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee mwk horsechopper +4 (1d8+1)
    Ranged shortbow +5 (1d4/×3)
    Special Attacks favored enemy (animals +2)
    TACTICS
    During Combat The goblin commando makes sure to use his
    Mounted Combat feat as often as possible to try to negate an
    attack each round against his mount, and uses his superior
    mobility to remain out of melee so he can shoot at the PCs with
    his bow from dogback (taking the standard –4 penalty for using a
    ranged weapon while mounted). If all of his goblin warriors are
    defeated, he drops his bow and races in to fight the PCs in melee.
    Morale The commando fights to the death—yet does so more by
    accident than out of bravery.
    STATISTICS
    Str 12, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 14
    Feats Mounted Combat
    Skills Handle Animal +3, Linguistics +0, Perception +5, Ride +9,
    Stealth +13, Survival +5
    Languages Common, Goblin
    SQ track +1, wild empathy +0
    Combat Gear potion of cure moderate wounds; Other Gear
    studded leather, masterwork horsechopper, shortbow with
    20 arrows
    Fed it to the Creature Parser, and this is what it says in the diagnostic output window:
    Reading data file: C:\Users\swest\Desktop\tmp\PF FG Parser - V2.0.1\GoblinCommando.txt
    Logging to: C:\Users\swest\Desktop\tmp\PF FG Parser - V2.0.1\GoblinCommando.txt.log
    Formatting creature stat block: 20 arrows
    Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Processing creature:
    Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Processing creature:
    Processing creature:
    Error in ReadWriteFormattedCreature, Message: The empty string '' is not a valid local name.
    Error in btnStartParse_Click, Message: The Writer is closed or in error state.
    Module file created: C:\Users\swest\Desktop\tmp\PF FG Parser - V2.0.1\GoblinCommando.mod
    Module file copied to : C:\Users\swest\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules\GoblinCommando.mod
    Parsing ended - check text above for errors.
    The contents of the GoblinCommando.txt.fpf file are:

DESCRIPTION:GOBLIN COMMANDO XP 200 CR 1/2 HP 12 Male goblin ranger 1 (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 156) NE Small humanoid (goblinoid) Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5 DEFENSE AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +3 Dex, +1 size) hp 12 (1d10+2) Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2 OFFENSE Speed 30 ft. Melee mwk horsechopper +4 (1d8+1) Ranged shortbow +5 (1d4/x3) Special Attacks favored enemy (animals +2) TACTICS During Combat The goblin commando makes sure to use his Mounted Combat feat as often as possible to try to negate an attack each round against his mount, and uses his superior mobility to remain out of melee so he can shoot at the PCs with his bow from dogback (taking the standard -4 penalty for using a ranged weapon while mounted). If all of his goblin warriors are defeated, he drops his bow and races in to fight the PCs in melee. Morale The commando fights to the death-yet does so more by accident than out of bravery. STATISTICS Str 12, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8 Base Atk +1; CMB +1; CMD 14 Feats Mounted Combat Skills Handle Animal +3, Linguistics +0, Perception +5, Ride +9, Stealth +13, Survival +5 Languages Common, Goblin SQ track +1, wild empathy +0 Combat Gear potion of cure moderate wounds; Other Gear studded leather, masterwork horsechopper, shortbow with 20 arrows
    NAME:20 arrows
    XP:arrows
    TYPE:20 arrows
    INIT:20 arrows
    AC:arrows
    HP:20 arrows
    SAVES:20 arrows
    DEFENSIVEABILITIES:20 arrows
    So, what did I do wrong ?

Thanks.

- s.west

Blog Entries
    The CR needs to follow the name on the same line and the XP needs to be on the following line.. your statblock doesn't look like it follows the standard format exactly.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

p.s., I based my trial upon the following statement:

Quote Originally Posted by trenloe
    The parser is designed to allow the GM to copy NPC statblocks directly from an adventure PDF, paste into a text file and parse the text file. If the NPC being copy/pasted adheres to the Paizo statblock standard and there are no strange characters introduced during the copy/paste process (sometimes this happens when copying from a PDF - erroneous spaces or other characters can be introduced).
    I saw no extraneous characters... and so I assumed, since this was coming directly from a Paizo document, that it would work.

- s.west

Thread Information