5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Creating Custom Skills (Not spells)

I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I have googled and searched to no avail
    Searching for creating custom skills keeps bringing me up how to make spells and I already know how to do that.

What I want to do -
    Add a new skill to the skills list for my games (custom ones mostly) and have the skill know which attribute it relates to when dropped onto the character sheet.

I'm going to use Disguise Kit just as an example -

I open up the skills list, right click and select the create item option. Name it appropriately and wala I have my new skill. But when I drag this onto a character sheet it defaults the stat to -
    So I change the - on the character sheet to INT and then try to drag the skill back into the Skills list to make a copy that's already set to INT and I can't - What am I doing wrong?

I know adding other modifiers would have to be done in the XML but does the attribute really have to be set that way too?

If you want to add a skill that is drag droppable then I think you'll need to do that via an extension to the ruleset. There isn't a way, when creating a skill within FG, to designate an ability to pair it with.

You might find this useful https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Skills-Module
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; April 22nd, 2019 at 12:55.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Is this something I could implement in Engineer Suite, Zacch? Or anyone else that knows the internal workings better than I do?
    Engineer Suite
    Import, build or edit NPCs/spells/equipment and then parse them directly into a Fantasy Grounds module.

Download the latest version from the website.
    Support me by becoming a patron on Patreon.

Chat directly about issues or suggest features on the
    Discord channel.
    Post issues on the issue tracker on Github.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    If you want to add a skill that is drag droppable then I think you'll need to do that via an extension to the ruleset. There isn't a way, when creating a skill within FG, to designate an ability to pair it with.

You might find this useful https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Skills-Module
    Thanks for this, it's useful to have the tools already done so I will definitely snatch this up, but I was thinking for when I want to create my own. I find it an utterly bizarre design choice that the option to add a skill to the list is there on right click but there is no way to set the ability for it. Why have this option in the skills menu at all if the only thing it allows you to do is name them? Might as well just create it straight onto the character sheet.

EDIT - I was able to do this fairly easily by adding <stat type="string">wisdom</stat> or whatever stat I want into the xml for the skill, but it would be a lot easier for people if the option to set this was just in the program. I mean half of the option is already there.
    I've seen science used a lot as an example, Right click > New then name it Science and set it to int if you want would be so much more user-friendly than creating the skill through the right click menu and then having to go and edit the XML.
    Last edited by Nhari; April 22nd, 2019 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Maasq View Post
    Is this something I could implement in Engineer Suite, Zacch? Or anyone else that knows the internal workings better than I do?
    I'm not sure about that. The skills and their paired ability scores are included in the ruleset rather than within FG. You can certainly create a module of skills but just like the existing skills there's nowhere within FG to designate an ability that goes with that skill.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Nhari View Post
    Thanks for this, it's useful to have the tools already done so I will definitely snatch this up, but I was thinking for when I want to create my own. I find it an utterly bizarre design choice that the option to add a skill to the list is there on right click but there is no way to set the ability for it. Why have this option in the skills menu at all if the only thing it allows you to do is name them? Might as well just create it straight onto the character sheet.

EDIT - I was able to do this fairly easily by adding <stat type="string">wisdom</stat> or whatever stat I want into the xml for the skill, but it would be a lot easier for people if the option to set this was just in the program. I mean half of the option is already there.
    I've seen science used a lot as an example, Right click > New then name it Science and set it to int if you want would be so much more user-friendly than creating the skill through the right click menu and then having to go and edit the XML.
    I'm pretty sure there is a good reason why an ability score can't be designated within FG. As far as tools are concerned there isn't any one ability score that can be designated since that will vary according to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhari View Post
    Searching for creating custom skills keeps bringing me up how to make spells and I already know how to do that.

What I want to do -
    Add a new skill to the skills list for my games (custom ones mostly) and have the skill know which attribute it relates to when dropped onto the character sheet.
    Funny you couldn’t find anything on custom skills. If I use "Site search" for "custom skill" I get a few threads that discuss creating custom skills in 5E.

The best way to do custom skills is as an extension. Example provided here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post291278. This will create the base skill info on each new character sheet.

If you want the skill description to pop up when you click the link, you’ll need to create a module with the skill description. Here’s an example: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post374785

And also some info in post #9 of that thread.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The best way to do custom skills is as an extension. Example provided here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post291278. This will create the base skill info on each new character sheet.
    I don't want them on each new character sheet by default, I just wanted them in the Skills list ready to be dragged and dropped in if they were required so sheets wouldn't be populated with loads of skills that the characters don't necessarily have.

But thank you for the links, I found some really useful stuff in there and am looking at how the Tool Proficiencies as Skills mod works. It's basically what I want to do, I just don't want to do it with tools. I wouldn't have been able to figure out how to look at the code so quickly without your links and help, so thank you very much!

I'm not really sure if it still uses the same mechanic, but with the AD&D 2E ruleset I'm able to drag and drop skills from a long list of custom skills and they all keep the stat and stat modifiers. Seems like if 2E can do it, 5E should be able to as well.

Thread Information