DICE PACKS BUNDLE

View Poll Results: Which character sheet window layout do you prefer as a 5E "player"?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single window, one tab per section

21 91.30%
  • Multi-window, one window per section

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Character Sheet Layout

This question is specifically for players (as opposed to GMs who use characters differently). If you have only used as GM, please have your players vote instead.

Now that we're looking at revising the 5E ruleset for the rules release, I wanted to get feedback on the character sheet layout. Specifically, the tabbed layout seen in other rulesets vs. the exploded layout in the current 5E ruleset (one section per window).

Thanks,
    JPG

Can it be made a player option, or is that too much?

At our table tonight, 6 players:
    1 preferred the exploded layout
    1 was okay with either
    4 liked the side-tab layout

I will say, though, that the general feeling was that having a more "usable mini" was echoed as well. The resizing, ability to add equipment, update powers/spells, all from the more condensed size that was in 5E and in the mini version of some other rulesets, was definitely liked over having a full sheet and a mini-sheet where sometimes you had to do things in one, but liked to work out of the more condensed at other times.

The layout and look was all pretty much universally well received. Proficiency stars, combat and spell tabs, etc. The powers tab was a little confusing for some with the two layers and the lack of some fields having textable tabs to expand explanations into was a minor issue.

All-in-all, they are very excited with the initial entry into 5E on FG and all look forward to each evolution in the process!
    SR

El Condoro,

While it might be possible long term, the problem is in maintaining code for two very different interfaces. I'd rather settle on one that satisfies the majority, and look at adding in support for more options later. It's already going to be an uphill battle getting 5E up to speed, since they've changed a fair amount and will be adding quite a bit of content later in August at Gencon.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks, Moon Wizard. I expected that would be the case, especially given how much of a pain it is to maintain two parallel sets of code when so many more important things need to be done, as you say. Cheers

I'm rather disappointed by the results so far, but the players have to look at the sheets more than we DMs do. I didn't vote because I never get to be on the player side of the table I wonder if they all know they can create shortcuts to individual pages by dragging the the page links to their shortcut bar at the bottom and have quick, one click access to that specific information (such as Powers, equipment, combat) without having to open the first page, then open a new page?

My main problem is in my other FG games, playing multiple characters is not easy (juggling different effects, powers, etc.), so multiple windows would be too much on the screen and I would prefer just a single sheet like the other rulesets have.

So, I don't want to say what not both...but why not?

Shouldn't it be relatively easy to allow a window to be torn off the main single page, essentially an updated version of the current Mini page.

Or what if right clicking a tab opened a new window for the tab and left clicking switched to the tab.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdf1992 View Post
    So, I don't want to say what not both...but why not?
    because...

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    While it might be possible long term, the problem is in maintaining code for two very different interfaces. I'd rather settle on one that satisfies the majority, and look at adding in support for more options later. It's already going to be an uphill battle getting 5E up to speed, since they've changed a fair amount and will be adding quite a bit of content later in August at Gencon.
    ... it may happen but not straight away

I took a poll of my players that don't frequent the forums and played 5E the week before. They were all in favor of tabbed sheets over multi-windows however one did suggest it would be nice to be able to "pull an individual window out of the tabs" so you could have more than one window of the character sheet open. I think part of the preference for tabbed might be because mostly the players only want the powers tab or combat open when playing and the multi-window is most useful during character creation. They was a suggestion that multi-windows dock.

The other reason the players didn't seem to like the multi-window character sheet was screen real estate. Several commented that with the map and combat tracker open there simply wasn't room for multiple character sheet windows - particularly when running multiple characters. They also commented on their dislike of the lack of mini sheet as well.

My suspicion is player preference for a tabbed sheet has a lot to do with players mostly having only one screen that is smaller than the GMs and probably in a lower resolution.

Thread Information