STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 16 First 123412 ... Last

OK, I've found some "inconsistencies" in adding weapons.

If I have skills "Gun Combat" and "Gun Combat (Slug Pistol)", adding an Autopistol works fine. Adding an Autorifle picks up the skill level for "Gun Combat (Slug Pistol)" - should pick up the plain "Gun Combat". Adding an ACR picks up "Unskilled" - again, should pick up the plain "Gun Combat". Adding a Revolver picks up "Gun Combat (Slug Pistol)" just fine.

Also, I noticed that the plain "Rifle" equipment entry has no range or damage...

You are planning on adding a field to specify the skill used. I would like to suggest making this a list of skills, and if none match, then default to Unskilled.

Something like "Gun Combat (Slug Pistol); Gun Combat" for the Slug Pistols. Also, consider an over-ride for the characteristic on this - some weapons, for example, might rely more on strength to wield properly than dexterity even though the skill might "default" to dexterity. Maybe something like "Gun Combat (Slug Pistol) [dexterity]; Gun Combat [dexterity]". There are some GMs who might even allow dexterity modifiers for unskilled firearm usage, who could then also add "Unskilled Skill [dexterity]" to the end to pick up any dexterity modifier in addition to the -3 unskilled penalty.

Just something to think about...

Hi @Andraax,

Thanks for your posts, I'll go over these again soon, it's time to make a decision on all of this so I welcome your thoughts.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking about this as well. Two solutions I thought of: have buttons on the bottom of the screen (similar to the task difficulty) that will over-ride the characteristic modifier for the next skill roll only, or have the player hold Shift while rolling, and it will pop up a dialog to select the attribute to use for this roll. I think I actually prefer the former...
    This is a great idea, I like it. Should be easy enough for me to plug-in, so I'll make it so.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

BTW not sure if it is just me, but I can't access extensions (i.e. new skins) in the extensions folder. They don't show up, when I select my campaign. Is this a bug/feature or am I being obnoxious again

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNanoc View Post
    BTW not sure if it is just me, but I can't access extensions (i.e. new skins) in the extensions folder. They don't show up, when I select my campaign. Is this a bug/feature or am I being obnoxious again
    I dont think there are any traveller theme extensions.
    I think I dropped a basic blue version of the current one somewhere on the forums...
    From that you can probably access enough of the assets to make your own.

Thanks for the response, but this isn't true for RMC which I am familiar with, but that is an older version and not yet updated to Core. You actually see the PCs weapons on the combat tracker and can roll from there. Good to know this for other rulesets though.

I think it would be great if the various subspecialties were drop downs as well. I do know some DMs that just use the general skill and don't require subspecialties, but it would be nice if we could just drag and drop and limit the typing of new skills. Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I think I dropped a basic blue version of the current one somewhere on the forums...
    Possibly this post?

Quote Originally Posted by watters View Post
    Thanks for the response, but this isn't true for RMC which I am familiar with...
    RMC is a completely different beast. In fact, you can't even roll PC attacks from the PC sheet - it has to be done through the combat tracker. This is, to the best of my knowledge the *only* ruleset that works this way, or has full PC attacks and actions in the combat tracker.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The various skills used for the weapons is a fairly big problem for our group. If we want to add a weapon into the game you often have to guess as to what skill will work with it and you have to be very accurate with your spelling. I think there are a couple with "s" (Rifles vs Rifle or some such it has been awhile since I looked). We do not mind having to enter data that is expected when we want to add things but having to figure out what exact skill to type in has really put the group off of this ruleset. It has been a while since we have played with this set and I have forgotten the other issues we ran into. I do know that it was disappointing to buy a released rule set that had so many issues. I am hoping your update will address the ones that have been reported so we can start playing again.

Thread Information