Starfinder Playlist
Page 12 of 52 First ... 2101112131422 ... Last

Thread: DCC RPG Ruleset

Thanks. I will do some research on creating modules. I had watched a few videos using par5e, and I realize that, even with that utility, there is still a lot of work involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This is what damned is saying - you don't need to use Par5E to create a Fantasy Grounds module, populate the data in Fantasy Grounds and export it to a module - FG is set up to allow creation of adventures within the application. The use the module export functionality: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...#Module_Export

Search for "fantasy grounds module" on youtube, there are quite a few videos showing how to create your own Fantasy Grounds module. A "module" in Fantasy Grounds is a container for custom data - usually "stuff" needed to run an adventure, stuff used to create a character and/or a library of useful information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddaley View Post
    I am relatively new to FG and absolutely new to DCC. I backed the kickstarter for the 4th printing and am just now reading the rules. I am really looking forward to trying out DCC and am super happy to see this ruleset! Thanks for doing this.

I have a few questions...
    * Does this ruleset cover the rules from the 4th printing (no idea what, if anything is different from previous printings).
    * I have a number of modules for DCC. Can I use Par5e to create FG modules for those? How are you creating DCC modules? Why isn't Goodman Games working with FG to get this stuff into their store?!?
    Welcome! The 4th printing is not really a new edition, just another print run. They added some art to fill in white space and fixed some typos - no new rules or anything. But the short answer is yes, the FG ruleset is set up for the latest rules. You will need the rulebook for referencing tables (spells, crits and fumbles, etc.) since I do not have permission to link that info within FG.

I would not bother with any parsing tools for module creation. Goodman Games does not seem interested in promoting their products with Fantasy Grounds, but it's easy enough to make your own. I made a short YouTube video linked in the first post of this thread for DM prep. I just cut-and-paste from the pdf version of the module for story entries (which I often just read from the pdf anyway), enter NPCs, and create the map/handout images.

My theory about GG and online gaming is that it doesn't fit into that 1970's aesthetic they are trying to capture, so it's mainly live/convention games for them. But who knows...

Thanks. I watched a few videos last night. So, I think I'll start entering a module today. We'll see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig View Post
    Welcome! The 4th printing is not really a new edition, just another print run. They added some art to fill in white space and fixed some typos - no new rules or anything. But the short answer is yes, the FG ruleset is set up for the latest rules. You will need the rulebook for referencing tables (spells, crits and fumbles, etc.) since I do not have permission to link that info within FG.

I would not bother with any parsing tools for module creation. Goodman Games does not seem interested in promoting their products with Fantasy Grounds, but it's easy enough to make your own. I made a short YouTube video linked in the first post of this thread for DM prep. I just cut-and-paste from the pdf version of the module for story entries (which I often just read from the pdf anyway), enter NPCs, and create the map/handout images.

My theory about GG and online gaming is that it doesn't fit into that 1970's aesthetic they are trying to capture, so it's mainly live/convention games for them. But who knows...

Blog Entries
    Good luck! Feel free to post any questions on the forums - the community is pretty helpful. If you run some DCC, let me know. I was thinking about organizing some games myself if I can stop messing around with the ruleset, but I would be interested in playing if the time works (EDT for me)

Well, I need to get more familiar with DCC and FG before I try to GM/DM a game in general. I may try to run a module for my family this weekend. The more I read the rules, the more excited I get about DCC. It sounds like it'll be a blast. I am not 100% sold on every part of the rules (like alignments not having the good/neutral/evil component and only chaotic/neutral/lawful and the dwarf/elf/halfling is a race + class), but I am willing to give those a chance. The rest of the rules (that I have read) seem well thought out and interesting.

I started reading one of the modules (Starless Sea), but then started reading the rules. So far, overall, this seems quite promising.

Quote Originally Posted by leozelig View Post
    Good luck! Feel free to post any questions on the forums - the community is pretty helpful. If you run some DCC, let me know. I was thinking about organizing some games myself if I can stop messing around with the ruleset, but I would be interested in playing if the time works (EDT for me)

Blog Entries
    Here is another screenshot of the modules I have been building for personal use. I blurred the details because I wasn't sure about copyright limitations. The next logical step seems like core rule book monsters. If you want them, email Goodman Games and tell them to support Fantasy Grounds!

Attachment 14146

Blog Entries
    Update coming soon. In the meantime, I am putting the finishing touches on the monster module. I also am going to make a YouTube video featuring tables, in which I have a little fun crafting some magic swords using the tables from the DCC rule book.

Attachment 14184

Blog Entries
    Ruleset update v2.3

• NPC attack line was not parsing correctly for descriptions starting with "+" (i.e. magic weapons).
    • Improved critical hit range was not working for NPCs.
    • Critical hit notification was not triggering in some cases (e.g. d24 attack die with crit range 20-24).
    • Shortcut links in the weapon list were not working for weapons dropped into inventory from the item list. (Note: Weapons created directly in the weapon list will now display an empty link.)
    • NPC attacks now use the action die defined on the NPC sheet (default d20). Only one attack per roll is made, even if multiple action dice are specified.
    • Module formats were created for items and spells. These can be dropped into the appropriate lists on the character sheet.

I attached a module template for spells in case you find yourself compelled by Sezrekan to make your own.

Blog Entries
    I added a modifier to the crit and fumble dice fields. The chat message for the crit die will also display the crit table. See screenshots below.

Attachment 14273Attachment 14274

Blog Entries
    I just finished making a bunch of modules for my DCC ruleset. They contain everything but the spell check tables, but unfortunately I cannot share them with you. If this is something you would like to see for Fantasy Grounds, I would encourage you to send an email to Goodman Games and let them know

Attachment 14454

Thread Information