5E Character Create Playlist
Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last

Thread: FGU Memory Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Zarestia View Post
    @seansps It might be better to share your campaign or e-mail to SW if you've got 4.9 GB RAM usage at the start of the session, that seems unnatural.

More of a real life example instead of some theoretical bingo:

Dev Campaign opened, DB size: 4.08 MB, 75 images, 43 MB all images in sum, all jpeg
    ~600 MB RAM usage at the start
    ~1350 MB RAM usage after opening and closing all 75 images
    ~ 850 MB RAM usage after ~5min

In over 2 years of playing I haven't gotten over 2 GB RAM usage even after 5-6 hours. A look into the specific campaigns is necessary... otherwise we're running circles.
    If the devs ask for that, I can provide it. I also have a custom module I made with additional maps, which is loaded too. (The .mod file is 61 MB). I assume that would probably be necessary, otherwise, it isn't really the same test scenario. However, I didn't load or share any map from that module last session. The campaign I am playing is Princes of the Apocalypse, in case that matters.

I'd also like to add that I don't think I am doing anything typically "out of the norm" for a use case of FG. I make characters, add portraits and tokens, maybe make a few Story entries of my own, share maps, run encounters, roll dice, load modules for 5e. The only weird thing I do is perhaps include a ton of tokens directly in the Fantasy Grounds/tokens directory in case I want to improvise an NPC/creature/etc.

@seansps It might be better to share your campaign or e-mail to SW if you've got 4.9 GB RAM usage at the start of the session, that seems unnatural.

More of a real life example instead of some theoretical bingo:

Dev Campaign opened, DB size: 4.08 MB, 75 images, 43 MB all images in sum, all jpeg
    ~600 MB RAM usage at the start
    ~1350 MB RAM usage after opening and closing all 75 images
    ~ 850 MB RAM usage after ~5min

In over 2 years of playing I haven't gotten over 2 GB RAM usage even after 5-6 hours. A look into the specific campaigns is necessary... otherwise we're running circles.
    On what OS?
    FGU has a VERY different RAM usage in Windows vs MacOS: when I open my Dev campaign in Windows, at the start it's using 547 MB of RAM; if I open the same campaign on MacOS, it's a whopping 2453 MB of RAM.
    This is, I suspect, at least in part due to how Unity implements certain common patterns differently for each OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    On what OS?
    FGU has a VERY different RAM usage in Windows vs MacOS: when I open my Dev campaign in Windows, at the start it's using 547 MB of RAM; if I open the same campaign on MacOS, it's a whopping 2453 MB of RAM.
    This is, I suspect, at least in part due to how Unity implements certain common patterns differently for each OS.
    Good point Lo Zeno! I am on macOS, and seeing these crazy RAM usages. If the answer for me to get better performance for now is to run it in Windows... I can switch to my windows machine. Though I'd prefer not to have to!

Might use less memory via Parallels than using the native FGU macOS app then.

Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    The only weird thing I do is perhaps include a ton of tokens directly in the Fantasy Grounds/tokens directory in case I want to improvise an NPC/creature/etc.
    There have been problems with the token directory in the past. I'd have to search the thread, but it was about a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
    On what OS?
    Windows 10, this was in response to Weissrolf. As it seems that FGU does a way better job at handling and clearing memory with many "normal" images instead of one nearly 500 MB image.

Quote Originally Posted by seansps View Post
    If the answer for me to get better performance for now is to run it in Windows... I can switch to my windows machine. Though I'd prefer not to have to!
    RAM usage doesn't correlate per se to performance. You could of course test it in Windows and report back whether you see the same performance issues.

I've neglected responding with my own session results in my own thread because, the day after my game, I was transferring the files from my PC to my phone and and accidently deleted them.

I haven't come back here out of sheer embarrassment, but avoiding it isn't going to solve anything. I have another session coming up and I'll be more 'responsible.'

That said, my own experiences and reading about numerous others, it seems that FGU is just wildly inefficient in managing both RAM and CPU load.

I use successfully use Onedrive since the beginning days of using FG, which also means that "accidentally deleting" files while transferring them anywhere is not a problem. Of course I also have backups.

Prepare for incoming...3...2...1...

RAM usage doesn't correlate per se to performance.
    Well, if your software uses six (6!) times the memory necessary for a raw data object then I bet its single-threaded poor CPU process also somehow has to deal with all that extra data.

Quote Originally Posted by BushViper View Post
    I've neglected responding with my own session results in my own thread because, the day after my game, I was transferring the files from my PC to my phone and and accidently deleted them.

I haven't come back here out of sheer embarrassment, but avoiding it isn't going to solve anything. I have another session coming up and I'll be more 'responsible.'

That said, my own experiences and reading about numerous others, it seems that FGU is just wildly inefficient in managing both RAM and CPU load.
    I was wondering when we’d get your update! Haha, it’s okay, I’ve definitely done something like this before.

Looking forward to see if you’re able to find anything as well, but I agree, there’s something off with how RAM is managed. I’ve never used FGC, having come straight into FGU… but when I see videos on YouTube of FGC it just seems so much more smooth and less sluggish.

Anyway, I love FG and really don’t want to have to switch to Foundry (which I’ve tried and the automation just is not there and is a mess of modules/3rd party addons, and no official 5e content.) So, I’m really hoping between both of our findings we can help better the FG platform. I’ll continue to try to gather data, too.

Edit: And yes I know about Roll20, and Astral, and Owlbear.rodeo and everything else, and they all suck. I legitimately want to help FG be the best, as it already is, imo.
    Last edited by seansps; December 11th, 2021 at 01:29.

Thread Information