Starfinder Playlist
Page 3 of 20 First 1234513 ... Last

Thread: Lock Tokens

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by qdwag View Post
    I'm just wondering, does anyone know why the Token Lock feature isn't taking a higher priority in the FGU development queue?
    It's quite an important feature IMHO.
    The developers also have access to how often options are used in FGC (don't know about FGU). So I'm sure they have hard data to help them prioritize token locking. I'm confident that they have considered how often the option is used along with the technical challenges of implementing it in their decision to delay implementing the feature until after full release.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I am excited this is getting more activity!

There are many reasons it is important, but for me, it is chiefly the tactical game play. With many groups, being able to plan moves is a critical component. By drawing the segmented movement line, complex movements can be formed without moving your character token. Yes, it is possible to do it manually, but it is difficult and easy to lose track of where the token started.

I am calling it token locking, because that is how the specific feature was enabled. If there was a way to do the segmented lines without locking a token, I think that would be good enough for me to start using FGU.
    Last edited by thelinuxfan; August 13th, 2020 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    The "As well" in your post suggests you think people were advocating for punishing a player in this thread. Were there any such posts here?
    I have no intention of "calling anyone out"
    I apologize to you for not being a bit more clear with that paragraph.
    I agree it's the DM's job to police players in the interest of the health of the game, I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't, though "punishment" is not how I go about it, I don't think saying, "Follow the rules or find a different group" is a "punishment", it's giving the player a clear choice.
    Focus on the second and third line of My post, Do not punish CHARACTERS IN GAME for bad player behavior. That's My belief. I have never seen a game improve from a DM doing something harmful to a PC in game to "get back at" the player.
    If a person cannot play your game by your rules then it's perfectly acceptable to ask them to stop coming to your game.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Give aid to those in need when you are able. Never follow thoughts of gain into the pursuit of evil, and never hesitate to kill the villain while you have the chance.

Thanks for the update on 'locking' tokens.
    My players also like to map out movement. I was going to migrate the campaign over from Classic to unity in about a month.
    The post above indicating that adding the locking mechanism proved to be more trouble in unity sounds ominous. I do hope we get that feature and if not at least an explanation on why it cannot be implemented.
    I am building out a mega dungeon exclusively in unity and having the players locked down and mapping out their movement will assist in me knowing if traps are indeed triggered.
    Do we have a rough timeline on the state Unity is supposed to be at for 'official' release?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Do we have a rough timeline on the state Unity is supposed to be at for 'official' release?
    No. Every timeline given in the past has been missed. I don't expect SmiteWorks to give any new ones.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Up-vote. Locking tokens is super important to me.
    ChumSlinger
    Guaranteed fresh, 100% Grade A Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by lostsanityreturned View Post
    The "As well" in your post suggests you think people were advocating for punishing a player in this thread. Were there any such posts here?

I would say it is "I read the adventure in advance", "I have the monster manual open" or "I look at the GM's notes when they are in the toilet" style meta cheating. Anyone who continues to do something like this after being caught out and asked not to, will just keep doing it. And if the GM doesn't like it, it will cause resentment over time and that is what is important (especially when it comes to burnout).

It isn't about punishing someone for doing wrong, it is about caring for yourself, the campaign, and the other players.
    It can even open up a dialogue, if they come back with a "sorry for doing it, I really do like the group and was being a bit of a fool because I could. I promise I won't do it again" I would let it be a group decision. However if they showed hostility they would be gone for good, same if they ever repeated the actions again. No arguments, threats or debates.

I am speaking from my own mistakes in the past of trying to be more accomodating and putting myself last. It was especially hard when I was running lots of public games for folks I didn't know at my FLGS, I was feeling like I was being mean to them whenever I would have to have the talk.

- Had one girl who would openly direct the party through dungeons because they knew what was where, telling other players stuff like "no, that way has xxxxx, this way has xxxxx" or telling people what items to bring, spells to prep and such.

- Another who whenever he would get bored because the tone had shifted to RP would turn it to a fight or torpedo the scene so he could have the spotlight again. Regardless of how frequently he had had it that session already.

For the record neither of these people were malicious or nasty in intent, but they both valued themselves more and continued their behaviour over 6 months (the latter for nearly a year) and were constantly testing where the boundaries were.
    There is nothing wrong with you as a DM and there is nothing wrong with your players.... there is something important missing in the implementation of FGU that we hope is resolved soon.

Dont let people bait you into thinking it is your fault, or your players fault, that isn't the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChumSlinger View Post
    Up-vote. Locking tokens is super important to me.
    Yes, me too. I really liked the feature to let the players map out their move with a segmented line. Super useful.

I also need to block the unlimited range on LOS from revealing map areas prematurely. By the way, I've seen it mentioned that you can use a mask along with LOS, but so far, I've been unable to get that to work. What am I doing wrong?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaddiel View Post
    I also need to block the unlimited range on LOS from revealing map areas prematurely. By the way, I've seen it mentioned that you can use a mask along with LOS, but so far, I've been unable to get that to work. What am I doing wrong?
    Are you using the instructions detailed here; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...+GM#Global-LOS

If not, I suggest you start a new thread with details of what you are trying and the steps to reproduce. Also screen shots are useful.

I think that token lock was not that important in FG:C as it will be in Unity because of LOS. With manual masking there's nothing to really hide from players besides what is already masked. But with automatic reveals the movement importance reach another level.
    - - -
    FG Classic / FG Unity Ultimate
    Playing D&D 5th

Thread Information