DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Will the Unity engine be core neutral or utilize many threads to distribute workload?

Greetings FG Team.

Will the upcoming Fantasy Grounds Unity be able to utilize more modern processors that have many cores and/or threads? Such as some of the Athlon or intel with > 6 or 8 or 16 core CPUS?

Blog Entries
    I doubt it. Really no need for it since FG is not very CPU intensive. And it would require all the libraries to be support multi-core, which is unlikely that they do. Most of the performance limits of FG come from two things; bandwidth and process size limit due to image size. Neither of which benefit from multi-core processing.

Of course, this is not an official statement, just my experience working with high-end enterprise software.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ah ok. In which case it would seem if the application is single threaded then it would benefit from a faster processor? > 5ghz?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsenex View Post
    Ah ok. In which case it would seem if the application is single threaded then it would benefit from a faster processor? > 5ghz?
    Sure... but not really. Again, FG doesn't require much processing power. When you are waiting on FG to do something, you are waiting on Network bandwidth and latency, not CPU processing. What's your processor load/usage while you are running FG? 10-20%? Maybe you hit 80% for an instance or two when you open a large image, but does a 0.2 second "delay" really matter? And then going from a 2GHz to 5GHz processor you might be lucky to have a 0.1 second delay, is it worth the money to you?

FGU with dynamic LoS and dynamic map effects is going to increase processing usage, but that's probably going to by processed by your graphics card (GPU), not your CPU. So again, an extreme processor isn't going to help.

What problem are you trying to solve? Or are you just excited about possibilities and want to maximize your experience?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    When you are waiting on FG to do something, you are waiting on Network bandwidth and latency, not CPU processing.
    This is not strictly true. Try adding a bunch of complex NPCs to the CT all at once (e.g. from a preset encounter with many NPCs) and a low spec CPU computer will be sorely taxed and FG can stop responding for 30 seconds or more. This is all based off processing power.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The challenge will be for FG Unity to provide good experience to users with laptops without dedicated graphic processor.
    FG is not computer game, but the engine is exactly for that purposes and I hope whatever they do - it is optimized and allows even people with low specs and macs to enjoy it.

It will be sorry experience to have the GM run effects just to have your end lagging.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I doubt it. Really no need for it since FG is not very CPU intensive. And it would require all the libraries to be support multi-core, which is unlikely that they do. Most of the performance limits of FG come from two things; bandwidth and process size limit due to image size. Neither of which benefit from multi-core processing.

Of course, this is not an official statement, just my experience working with high-end enterprise software.
    When FG was first created it didn't need to worry about maps larger than the current memory limits either.

I wouldn't be to sure about the "never need the threading" statement. With the options of 3d, sound and lighting in Unity... that could change.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Unity themselves suggest that Multi-threading creates more overhead than it fixes for most gaming applications

For the low spec computers... that is always going to happen. You cant give more features at one end and not expect it to have an impact at the other end
    Your GM doesnt have to use effects if the players cant handle them.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Unity themselves suggest that Multi-threading creates more overhead than it fixes for most gaming applications

For the low spec computers... that is always going to happen. You cant give more features at one end and not expect it to have an impact at the other end
    Your GM doesnt have to use effects if the players cant handle them.
    I'm not sure where that comes from but the write ups I've found about it seem to suggest they support it and it requires "minimal" effort using the unity job system (that IS multithreaded).

All you need to do is place your logic into custom jobs and then schedule them to run. The Job System will handle the rest, executing all of your jobs on seperate threads that are managed by Unity.
    That comes from here.

https://infalliblecode.com/unity-job-system/

The author there is a content dev for Unity not the developers of Unity so you can make of that what you will. You can find their docs on this here.

I wouldn't cross it off the list just yet.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information