Starfinder Playlist
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    I agree that some kind of discussion can (and in most cases, should) happen, preferably during a "session zero" but as I understand it it's sometimes the case that one doesn't know what will trigger them until they see it's about to happen. It's also true that people often do not want to be labelled as "the one who got raped" for example, and so they may not wish to bring it up with the group or even with the GM in private, for fear that those simple comments turn into rumors.
    As I said, there is no need to discuss the cause for your insecurity. *I* don't like rape scenes in games, and I'm willing to say that. That doesn't mean that I've been raped. And if a game session is heading in a direction that will trigger a person, they can just say something like"I don't like where this is headed". You people are all acting like I'm saying that people need to reveal deep, dark secrets before they can be allowed to play - I'm not saying anything of the sort. It's just that RPGs are *social* games, which means that there will be *social interaction*. If you can't interact socially, then perhaps it's not the game for you.

And adults shouldn't be spreading rumors.

Blog Entries
    Andraax i think you have stopped adding any value to this conversation.
    What is being discussed is a tool for others not fr you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Wendorf View Post
    (Honest question. Not asking just to be argumentative.) Why? Why would there need to be one? Why is it shocking there isn't one? What good would it do? My self, I'm a bit baffled that anyone thinks that it is a necessary item, rather than a nice-to-have item.
    It's shocking (to me) because, as I said, it's now 2020 and this is not exactly brand-new territory we're discussing. Yes, I absolutely think an X Card (or whatever) extension would be "nice."

Why should it be a CoreRPG feature (thereby being available to all rulesets which layer over CoreRPG)? Because it's 2020 and it would demonstrate that SmiteWorks has awareness of the current goings-on out there in real life. No one is ever "forced" to use any other obscure feature, but when they suddenly need them, oooh it's the greatest thing since sliced pizza! So exactly what harm would it create by having a safety tool or few for those who choose to use them, VTT or IRL?

Now, specific to Fantasy Grounds, here's my issue with it being limited to an extension: FG is a client-server application. Everything must run on the GMs server, including all extensions. I am of the opinion that the GMs most likely to dip into "unsafe" (for lack of a better phrase) territory are also the ones who specifically would not install an X Card extension. At least if it's built-in, players have something at their disposal to draw attention and make it known that things need to stop and let's have a conversation about this going forward so that "screw this noise, *disconnect*" isn't the only solution. The tool is also available if it's a random player who suddenly veers way off into upsetting territory no one else expected. There is also a huge section of the FG userbase who are not forum members, and have no clue about extensions.

We, as a community, since I've been here pride ourselves on how welcoming and helpful we are, but ever notice how the majority of the technobabble goes into "how do I automate more DAMAGE!!!!" and not a single damn thing about "how can we be supportive of the people behind those 3D dice?" That's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by Talyn; January 20th, 2020 at 01:32.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    It's shocking (to me) because, as I said, it's now 2020 and this is not exactly brand-new territory we're discussing. Yes, I absolutely think an X Card (or whatever) extension would be "nice."

Why should it be a CoreRPG feature (thereby being available to all rulesets which layer over CoreRPG)? Because it's 2020 and it would demonstrate that SmiteWorks has awareness of the current goings-on out there in real life. No one is ever "forced" to use any other obscure feature, but when they suddenly need them, oooh it's the greatest thing since sliced pizza! So exactly what harm would it create by having a safety tool or few for those who choose to use them, VTT or IRL?
    On the flip side Talyn this is the first time Ive ever seen it mentioned here.
    So for it not to be a core feature is pretty understandable on that metric.

Blog Entries
    So, let's see how helpful we can be.

If such a function were implemented, how would it be realized? Would this only be notification to the GM that some player feels a line has been crossed? Would their be a yellow and red light system? Or just red? Would the notification only be to the GM or would it go to all players? Would the GM be able to trigger this alert? What would the alert look like? Something in the chat? Something in the middle of the application window on top of all the other window classes? Would their be an audible component? How long would it be up for? 5 second or until each person dismisses it? Or would only the GM or the person who triggered it be able to dismiss it? Would it be anonymous or would the GM know who triggered it or would everyone? How would this work in a face-to-face game?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    off the cuff -

1. it should be anonymous
    2. it should be very visible
    3. i dont know if you need gradients - a line is crossed/blurred use the tool
    3. it should go to everyone - as adults everyone can see the alert, take a breath, adjust the story and move forward. it doesnt even need to be discussed unless the person triggering the notification wants to raise it
    4. it should require each person to have to close/acknowledge the alert
    5. maybe when you press it you should be presented with some information on how to handle/address uncomfortable situations in the group with the option to send alert or just ok and return to the game perhaps with some ideas on how to steer the group to safety without the big alert
    6. in a group where you are all comfortable with each other you might just come right out and start the conversation - "im not comfortable with this. can we change direction."
    7. in the event you have someone immature spamming the button... i dont know...

in my experience - in a face to face game you get a card and you just toss it into the middle and the GM will roll the story back and move in a different direction

Blog Entries
    8. It should be an option that the GM can choose to enable or disable.

Maybe this would be one of the standard things mentioned in LFG or LFDM posts - whether the person wants this functionality enabled or disabled or doesn't care one way or the other.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    On the flip side Talyn this is the first time Ive ever seen it mentioned here.
    So for it not to be a core feature is pretty understandable on that metric.
    That specifically goes back to my "awareness" comment, though. Rather than being heads down into Lua scripting more dice rolls and damage, some consideration of more social features for a platform based purely around a social hobby just demonstrates a lack of it. And that goes for all us wannabe coders here on the forums too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    That specifically goes back to my "awareness" comment, though. Rather than being heads down into Lua scripting more dice rolls and damage, some consideration of more social features for a platform based purely around a social hobby just demonstrates a lack of it. And that goes for all us wannabe coders here on the forums too.
    Not really.
    This is something that effects a small proportion of the population.
    It effects a small proportion of groups.
    If you are never exposed to something you may never be aware of its existence let alone if there is a need.
    I have zero interest - let alone time - to go out and try to learn of the existence of all the things that I am unaware of.
    Do you go and learn all about all the various medical conditions before you encounter someone with it that impacts on you in some way?
    When someone you live with comes back and says I have this condition xyz then you go and learn about it and make some adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Andraax i think you have stopped adding any value to this conversation.

Thread Information