DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 20 of 105 First ... 1018192021223070 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyjuice View Post
    Wasn’t there a 64 but released for people with decent pc’s?
    It was experimental and it has issues (crashing when unmasking images) so it was removed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hmmm - I've been really dying to try this extension. It looks like it addresses some of the "issues" I've had but I've only been using mostly WoTC modules. I'm assuming there's still an issue using these? However, with JLBatman's comments, is this a kind of 'hit or miss' thing?

Ya, I guess I would call it hit or miss. For me, I've never had a problem on anything I've run. But I have not run everything, obviously.
    I can say, however, I usually have active at least 15 modules, most of them being accessories, like spell lists from Rob2e or add-ons like the dungeon masters toolkit.

And so the ram in a thread for 32 bit is limited, but perhaps it isn't really a memory problem directly, but a read/write issue? Because DotMM is huge, so if this is directly related to the size of the module, I would expect that one to have a problem. But again, I don't know.
    I'd give this thing a shot and try! It's amazing, and has made it a requirement for all my games.
    (I'm rather passionate about it). =)

Quote Originally Posted by JLBatman View Post
    ... but perhaps it isn't really a memory problem directly, but a read/write issue?
    To clarify - I don't think the issue you reported in post #184 (map ping taking a while to initially work) is related to "memory", it will be related to the time it takes to initially search through all of the image records in the opened modules.

My concern this that this increases memory use as a whole (nothing to do with the delayed ping issue). These forums frequently have users posting that they have issues that turn out to be related to FG using too much memory (do a site search for "bad allocation" if you're interested). So it's very important to be aware of anything that could increase the memory that FG uses.

At this point my concern is just that - a concern. I don't know the full details of how the code operates, or if Styrmir has made any changes to the original code, and if the memory use does increase because of this, and if it does - how much memory this uses and due to what operation being carried out. Ken specifically called out this as being an issue and not actually supporting it - which gives me concern in itself. And the fact that it takes a while to work the first time, but then works fine after the first, suggests that there is data being cached - and that takes memory.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Doomslayer View Post
    ... is this a kind of 'hit or miss' thing?
    I would give it a go and see how it works for you. I'd have Windows Task Manager open and check the memory use of FantasyGrounds.exe to see how much memory you're using. Keep it below 3GB wherever possible.

The coolest solution, imo, would be to just include a map ping option in FG, then we can retire that feature from the advanced kombat extension.

It's the difference between writing on a dungeon map in person, or just tapping it with your finger. Sure, scribbling with a pen doesn't take an hour, but it's not something you want to do in real life, and once you use a map ping, you don't want to do it that way virtually, either.
    But I've already voted for that (as have a bunch of other people), so until then I guess we just have to make do with this, even if it takes a bit longer the first time...

Though now I'm going to check out my memory usage in FG to see what I get to. I would be shocked if it was anywhere close to the 3 GB, but what do I know, as I've never looked.

For those who want ping, and haven't voted, you can do that here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40908

Quote Originally Posted by JLBatman View Post
    Sure, scribbling with a pen doesn't take an hour, but it's not something you want to do in real life, and once you use a map ping, you don't want to do it that way virtually, either.
    Click and hold both mouse buttons and quickly draw an arrow. It will appear in the same colour you've set for your dice - so you can know which player is doing the drawing too. When you use the 2-button arrow draw, it will only keep one arrow on any map - so you can quickly draw an arrow, then another to show exactly what you're referring to.

Sure, it's not exactly the same as the "ping" you might be used to in other applications/extensions, but it's a good way of providing similar functionality in the current application.

I've used that method, but it honestly feels clumsy and inaccurate. I did this before I had the advanced combat mod, but man, it's just not near as smooth, quick, or accurate (because you have to drag enough length to make people realize it's really an arrow, and that means you slide away from what you are marking before ending the arrow where you are trying to point it).

But I've already made that point in the forums, as it's about the only thing I talk about.

This is the only extension I use - it is that good and can recommend this to everyone.

I do have a suggestion to add to the module - though not sure how feasible it is.

If you had a token with a name of "Token [6x6]" would it be possible to place it on a map and cover a 6x6 grid at 100% fill?

The reason for asking, is this would give us the options to use pre-made tiles (tokens) and build a map in real time on a blank canvas (or map). The numbers in the square brackets would be the number of map squares.

An example of tiles would be something similar to the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Hz...ature=youtu.be

See around 1:35 in the video.

(see examples attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ColinBuckler; January 24th, 2019 at 21:48.
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBuckler View Post
    This is the only extension I use - it is that good and can recommend this to everyone.

I do have a suggestion to add to the module - though not sure how feasible it is.

If you had a token with a name of "Token [6x6]" would it be possible to place it on a map and cover a 6x6 grid at 100% fill?

The reason for asking, is this would give us the options to use pre-made tiles (tokens) and build a map in real time on a blank canvas (or map). The numbers in the square brackets would be the number of map squares.

An example of tiles would be something similar to the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Hz...ature=youtu.be

See around 1:35 in the video.

(see examples attached)
    I actually love using Dungeon painter to make or adjust maps. I tried your idea real quick using some assets from ****20 and without some magic from I'd assume FG or Mod Author it's not easy for me to get the tokens scaled equally (I'm a noob so prolly doing something wrong). Token scale at 100%. I switched to bottom layer and added the "tokens" and then scaled them up. Then went back to top layer and added a player. You can see some misalignment near the edges, but I really like your idea. It also was not just a drag and drop so far. Hope someone can figure it out

TEST.PNG

Thread Information