5E Character Create Playlist

first playtest run for me

We tried a test run for my first mini-game of 5E with Fantasy Grounds Unity tonight, with the aim of getting our group together virtually during the plague. I've been building for the "real" game session and was able to put together a three-encounter dungeon with a simple plot in about 10 minutes, now that I am used to the editor.

Bug:
    - We kept getting "incompatible version" errors. It was really frustrating. It turns out this was because the updater had a bug earlier in the week and I needed to uninstall and then reinstall. Doing that fixed it and the game ran beautifully afterwards.

Things one or both of us found difficult or confusing:
    - players seem to be able to assign any PC in the PC pool to themselves without my permission.
    - players can type over the text lines for classes and backgrounds, which can break the sheet on level-up
    - the fighter self-healing ability is text only, and not an "action" like the weapons or spells, so after she got used to clicking on things to roll dice (or, for spells, to announce she was casting a spell), she wasn't able to make that happen with the fighter ability
    - She thought the tabs on the character sheet were hard to read because the text was too light. It would be nice to make these bigger.

Features I wished were there:
    - Is there a way to remove masks on maps NOT in a rectangle? A polygon option would be lovely. I don't there is, though. Otherwise, the mask feature was pretty great.
    - Is there a way to quickly minimize a window to the bottom and then reopen it where it was? This would be useful with so many windows all the time on my poor little screen.
    - would be nice to see the public games in alphabetical order

Things I really liked:
    - awarding XP and coins is very easy with the parcels and encounters system
    - double-clicking on relevant stats to roll is extremely nice
    - the combat tracker in general works very well for me and saves a lot of bookkeeping with initiative rolls

Welcome to FGU.

Things one or both of us found difficult or confusing:
    - players seem to be able to assign any PC in the PC pool to themselves without my permission.

If you right click PC's and claim them as DM they won't be able to until you clear the ownership. Likewise once a player selects a character they are locked to them, until you as DM clear ownership.

- the fighter self-healing ability is text only, and not an "action" like the weapons or spells, so after she got used to clicking on things to roll dice (or, for spells, to announce she was casting a spell), she wasn't able to make that happen with the fighter ability

You can create all kinds of new automated effects and scripts in the action section of the character sheet. Including self healing.
    Have a look here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects

- She thought the tabs on the character sheet were hard to read because the text was too light. It would be nice to make these bigger.

You are able to scale the text in the interface for high definition screens. If I remember correctly the command in the chat is /scaleui [percentile number] ex. /scaleui 150

Features I wished were there:
    - Is there a way to remove masks on maps NOT in a rectangle? A polygon option would be lovely. I don't there is, though. Otherwise, the mask feature was pretty great.

If you're not using dynamic lighting. You can clear masks by holding down Ctrl (or possibly shift or alt, can't remember exactly) while drawing with your mouse. This will allow you to draw all kinds of shapes to remove masking for.

- Is there a way to quickly minimize a window to the bottom and then reopen it where it was? This would be useful with so many windows all the time on my poor little screen.

You can add any window to the action bar at the bottom. (these are linked to your F keys on the keyboard) The window should reopen in the same location of the same size as FG remembers window positioning and sizing.

If you need more screen space, don't we all lol. Then I'd like to point out the great FGTabber extension for you. It basically allows you to set up multiple "virtual" desktops inside FG. Each saving the windows and positioning in each virtual desktop. You can then quickly click between them. I like to have one for story entries for example, another for the rules books, another for campaign man, another for combat, etc.
    Here's the link for that: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...your-FG-client

Happy roleplaying!
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Blog Entries
    Welcome blackclove

You are running a Beta version. It ill be updated many, many times before it is released and some of teh updates will require everyone to be on exactly the same version.
    You should have a look at the Wiki and User Guides.

Players can choose any unowned Character. If you want your players to do things in a specific way you should tell them your table rules.
    The ruleset allows you to play without official content and to create your own homebrew content. It works best if you use the content but the flexibility is there for you to do things differently. Your players also ought to spend some time learning the app too.
    Many things are very hard to automate and others are very niche and just havent gotten to the top of the list. It would be great if it was 100% clear what was and what wasnt automated but that too hasnt gotten t the top of the list yet.
    Have your player use /scaleui 125 in chat and see if that helps

Have a look in the guide/wiki for masking.
    Drag windows to hotkeys for easy access - check the guide/wiki for full options

Thread Information