5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Fantasy Grounds running at a snail's pace.

-My Graphics card is the AMD Radeon R9 200 series. It's updated to the most recent software.
    -My CPU runs at 2-11%, Memory runs at a steady 24%, Disk normally runs at 3% while I'm in Fantasy Grounds.
    -Programs open while running fantasy grounds do not effect the speed of Fantasy Grounds.
    -Number of players does not affect the speed of the Fantasy Grounds.
    -Reseting the computer does not make the program run faster.
    (If there's any more information I can provide that can help feel free to ask)

The exact issue that I'm having is if I'm in a session the game moves incredibly slowly.For example: When I click and drag the dice onto the chat it takes a second and then displays the dice value (There is no animation for Rolling Dice), then there are 2 frames of the dice dissolving into the chat. Another example is when I try to drag a menu (Like a Character Sheet) to another place It does not show me "holding" the menu as it won't move with my mouse, after I release my left click to "let go" of the menu I wait for about half a second and then it will display the menu in the new location that I released.

One strange thing that I've noticed is that if another player/gm rolls a dice it actually displays the animation very smoothly however if I roll the dice it is very slow and choppy.

Any information to help make the program run smoother and faster would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forums Sorry you are having problems

Do you have any other programs running when you are using FG? Of particular concern are any program that is an "overlay" such as the Steam overlay or various 'performance' or frame rate monitoring programs. I don't know if this includes Windows Aero applets, but I suspect it might.

Try turning down or disabling the advanced options on your graphics card driver. This like fog effects, anti-aliasing, 3D effects, etc.

FG currently uses an old version of Direct X (9) and as such often has performance problems with high-end graphics cards. Start there.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you for replying so quickly.
    I run Fantasy Grounds from the program I downloaded from this website and do not install it from Steam. I also am unfamiliar with any Windows Aero applets however just to be safe I checked my computer for any such programs to which it had no result.
    I don't know of any advanced options for graphics card driver but I will look up ways to disable and reduce effects of those settings via the internet and get back to you when I do.

One more thing that I forgot to mention is that I'm running Windows 8.1. I don't know if that could be a cause but the more information I share with you the quicker this will be to resolve.

Take a look at my FG Slowing down thread. I had a bit of success with installing Direct x 9c. It at least made the dice animation smoother with no story or CT windows open.

Quote Originally Posted by Booker Grimm View Post
    Take a look at my FG Slowing down thread. I had a bit of success with installing Direct x 9c. It at least made the dice animation smoother with no story or CT windows open.
    A link would be helpful to people.

Also, hopefully you don't have tons of shared tokens, etc. that you are loading into memory every time. What's the memory usage (from Task Manager) for Fantasy Grounds?
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Blog Entries
    I second/third the dx9 suggestions. There's a dx9 redistributable file you can download and run, sorry don't have the link anymore.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I'd also recommend looking a tuning down some of the settings in your Graphics card setup/config application - many issues can be caused with FG by running more advanced/recent 3D settings.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's a shame. The software really should be better optimised than this. FG has been around for long enough and these systems are more than the minimum requirements.

I really hope Unity is not going to be the x same.

Quote Originally Posted by Booker Grimm View Post
    It's a shame. The software really should be better optimised than this. FG has been around for long enough and these systems are more than the minimum requirements.

I really hope Unity is not going to be the x same.
    As was mentioned in your thread regarding your issues, this is a remnant of the old software - which uses some very old libraries. Now, FG could spend a lot of time trying to optimize/convert those libraries, for an old 32-bit architecture to address the occasional issue that some individuals have with specific hardware combinations. Or they could spend their limited development resources on FG Unity - which will be 64-bit, will use modern graphics libraries and an underlying software base that is compatible with the latest hardware platforms.

I get it, you're frustrated with not having a great experience with Fantasy Grounds classic on your super-dooper computer, but please understand why that is happening and why FG has not spent lots of development resources trying to band-aid an old technology for every graphical issue that can possibly occur (which probably isn't even possible), but spend their time working with the most up-to-date architecture for the next release, to allow users to run FG efficiently now and into the future...
    Last edited by Trenloe; September 9th, 2019 at 22:15.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information