STAR TREK 2d20
Page 8 of 11 First ... 678910 ... Last

Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. (Originally London UK)
    First post. New to FG. I’m an old Rolemaster Classic GM. Been playing tabletop FRP since 1979. Looking to automate my Rolemaster Classic games. Just stumbled onto FG. Purchased FGUnity License. Got the program running and found this group. Exactly what my players and I need. Read some posts. Thanks to Dakadin, Ardem and everyone else who have created an amazing online experience.

What extensions and modules do I need to implement RMClassic on FG and where do I install them?

Don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question.

I look forward to participating in this group.

No prob Caelinus.

The RMC is a paid ruleset separate to FG, you get this from either the steam or FG Store. Once you have that, there are some various add on extension in this list.

To tell you the truth the amount of hours I have sunk into FG, hour per dollar it been my cheapest game purchases I have ever made. Even with all the added paid token, maps etc as a GM I fork out for.

If you are only looking to be a player you do not need to pay RM, you only need it if your going to GM.
    Last edited by Ardem; April 28th, 2021 at 23:42.
    ------------------
    Ardem

Discord: Ardem#4756
    Teamspeak Server: ts3.varidan.com.au
    Ultimate Licencse: FGC/FGU

Campaign Currently Running: Greenbrook Rolemaster FRP (Weekly Wednesday 8.00pm-11.00pm), YouTube Stream

Game/Ruleset created: Extinction Event
    Extensions created: Rolemaster FRP, XP Extension, Random Extension

As Ardem says, you would just need to purchase the Rolemaster Classic ruleset. It will include Arms Law, Character Law, Spell Law and Creatures & Treasures as modules in addition to the ruleset. Once you have that you should be able to run a RMC campaign. There are some other RMC specific modules available but those aren't required.

Check the sticky thread, Videos, to find Wolfshield's videos on how to use the ruleset. He does a great job of going through it and showing how to do different things.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Dakadin

I would say you should probably stay away from extensions until you learn the base application. Once you are familiar, you can start experimenting with extensions.

The videos from Wolfshield are a great way to start.

As Ardem mentioned, the RMC ruleset is available as an addon for FG. You will need the base application (Fantasy Grounds) and the RMC ruleset.

As far as which you should get, that depends.

Fantasy Grounds has three licensing tiers:
    1. Demo. This is the free license that you can download from web page. Cost - Free
    2. Standard. This one is the base license anyone would need to be a GM. However, Standard requires all of the players to also have Standard. Cost - $39 USD
    3. Ultimate. This allows a GM to host an unlimited (within the limits of you internet connection) of Demo (free) users, and any Standard license users as well. Cost - $149 USD

NOTE: The prices above are to purchase the application outright. There is also a subscription model as well.

There are two versions of the program, Classic (FGC) and Unity (FGU). Classic will be retired at some point as that is the older version, and all of the major new features will be FGU only (Line of Sight, Lighting, etc.). Licensing cost and tiers are the same for both versions.

What extensions and modules do I need to implement RMClassic on FG?

Thanks Ardem, Dakadin and Sulimo.

I have the FGUnity program and license.

Purchased Rolemaster Classic Ruleset and a bunch of other stuff from FG and figured out how to load. Very nice.

I'm looking to GM my campaign using FGRM Classic rules. My players are really excited about this. They have complained for years about manually looking up crits using tables.

Sulimo - The videos from Wolfshield look fabulous. I have recommended my players watch them as they will need to know how to convert their PC’s to this system, as will I.

I’m also a computer programmer, so I’m familiar with XML and ready to dive into the extensions. I like messing around and customising stuff whenever possible.

Want to get everything up and running ASAP for my players.

What other addons and/or extensions do I need?

You don't need any other extensions.

However, depending on what you are wanting to do in your game, some might be useful.

See the first post in this thread. Use only extensions that are compatible with RMC 2.x or later.

For myself, I was not going to use any extensions in my game, however, as a bit of fun, I modified the language extension to make it more compatible with my game. Basically changing the names of the languages, and the fonts used. I am playing in the Middle-earth setting (first RPG I ever played was MERP, and we usually used the RM rules), so I wanted to setup all of the Middle-earth languages, and I got some font files to add to the extension.

I also use the GM Icon extension, all it does is change the GM icon when I type something as GM. My Forum icon is what I use.

I also use Player Agency, but I may remove that, as my players don't seem to be using the features. A word of caution about player agency, it has some quirks with the RMC ruleset because it is overriding the same template of CoreRPG that is used by RMC as I recall.

I only modified an existing extension (the languange one) however, I do want to try to dive more into things when I have extra time. I plan to look at Jeff's Excruciatingly Simple Extension Tutorial to get me started. It's older, but I would guess a lot of it still applies, at least in the broad strokes.

As a side note, what I could really use is an introduction to programming book/tutorial. I have not done programming since tech school, and that was Turbo Pascal, things have changed a lot since then.

However, depending on what you are wanting to do in your game, some might be useful.
    Thanks Sulimo, I’ll check out those extensions. Looks like I’m ready to start converting my campaign to FG online. This is going to be interesting.

Another thought. Can my players join my campaign without purchasing a license?

As a side note, what I could really use is an introduction to programming book/tutorial. I have not done programming since tech school, and that was Turbo Pascal, things have changed a lot since then.
    That's a whole other topic. Feel free to contact me separately (if that’s possible here).

Quote Originally Posted by Caelinus View Post
    Thanks Sulimo, I’ll check out those extensions. Looks like I’m ready to start converting my campaign to FG online. This is going to be interesting.
    If you have an Ultimate license, your players just need to install the Demo and sign up for a forum account if you are using Unity.

FYI, the demo download is the same as the licensed download; just for the licensed version, you would input your license key.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulimo View Post
    I also use Player Agency, but I may remove that, as my players don't seem to be using the features. A word of caution about player agency, it has some quirks with the RMC ruleset because it is overriding the same template of CoreRPG that is used by RMC as I recall.
    This shouldn't be an issue anymore. I just adjusted the ruleset so it wouldn't cause any issues using the Player Agency extension.

Hi Caelinus,

As Sulimo says, you don't need any extensions to run RMC. I do recommend getting familiar with how things work without extensions before you start using them though. Just realize that sometimes extensions will need to be updated to maintain compatibility with the ruleset since they are basically overwriting or adding to the ruleset. If you want to change something to better suit your game then definitely check the extensions or write your own. Please let me know if you have any questions since I really want people to be able to play RM the way that they want instead of how I play it. I try to make the ruleset as flexible as possible so it can handle the different ways people play. Have fun playing!

Dakadin

Thread Information