DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    As an aside, I wanted to say how much I appreciate the open friendly conversation and advice folks have offered here.

I've been a Roll20 Plus member since 2013, but when I started asking about the limits of Roll20 and what other VTTs are capable of, I received a warning from the moderators and a threat to be banned for violating their Terms of Use. For "advertising." What a great example of how to estrange a customer.
    Last edited by Quickeaf; March 10th, 2017 at 02:42.

We are pretty open here about complementing and competing products. Ultimately, that may be because SW is pretty confident that their product is superior.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickeaf View Post
    As an aside, I wanted to say how much I appreciate the open friendly conversation and advice folks have offered here.

I've been a Roll20 Plus member since 2013, but when I started asking about the limits of Roll20 and what other VTTs are capable of, I received a warning from the moderators and a threat to be banned for violating their Terms of Use. For "advertising." What a great example of how to estrange a customer.
    I hear this a few times a year (over the last 2 years). It's so alien to me and such an obvious mistake for a company to take such a stand that it still continues to baffle me.

I guess it just heartens me that I made the right decision with FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickeaf View Post
    Haha. Love it. You must be British?
    I am indeed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

... and we love him anyway ...
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I hear this a few times a year (over the last 2 years). It's so alien to me and such an obvious mistake for a company to take such a stand that it still continues to baffle me.

I guess it just heartens me that I made the right decision with FG.
    However it seems to work more for them than against them. Many roll20 users are 100% oblivious to the existence of competing products...

A blind person doesn't know they are blind until you tell them.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

Free>>quality. You cannot compete with that.
    Roll20 has more customers, but I would be curious to know what % of them are supporting ones.
    As a user of both, and having introduced FG different people, I would say that roll20 is at first glance more intuitive, but after people understand how FG works, they are amazed from the possibilities. I know of a couple people waiting for a sale on standard licenses so they can use FG for their live table.
    I have no evidence supporting this, but I'm pretty sure FG would eat away the competition IF they would be willing to create something similar to roll20 offers. This is just my opinion, please dont take it as a form of disrespect.
    Ultimate license holder, do not worry about partecipating Italian DM (gmt+1). check here to find your timezone difference https://everytimezone.com/

- Players live a thousand lives, a DM let live a thousand universes -

Contrary to the general internet, we always try to assume the best in people here and allow them the space to have their personal takes on things without getting their heads cut off.

There was a period of about a year that I left FG and tried out Roll20. It is true that they have a good marketing scheme to draw people in. However, I mostly went there because one of my players kept saying how much they liked it over FG, mostly because of stability reasons; stability issues that I was having mostly because of things I hadn't learned yet in maxing the stability of FG. I gave it a pretty fair and decent shot; but was not impressed with it's capabilities - other than the dynamic lighting stuff, which was way cool. Ultimately, I could see someone feeling that Roll20 is good enough as a free tool. But, I don't think it's worth putting money into, whereas FG is.

fG does have a demo, which is actually usable for a very long time if you can get into a game with an Ultimate GM. Beyond that, I don't really know what you would do.

New School NPC Maker 5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset

The problem is the entrance fee before becoming a "fan". Not everyone like to spend money upfront, or to input his credit card info for the 100% refund, or to cut a sizeable portion of his income (not everyone is from a first world country).
    Even if the above issues aren't a real problem, the demo version is too limited to entice a casual observer.
    Personal experience, more than one person whom I taught how to use FG was surprised that he could not save/export his character.
    To not let people feel excluded from the community, the limitations should be about saving capabilities, not about connection ones.
    For example:
    - Demo version: has access to all SRD and core rpg (D&D 5 /Path/ 4ed/ numenera ecc) BUT he can save only ONE char at time. No export. Cannot buy Store content.
    -standard version: as above, but he can access all rulesets, included the community ones. Can save and export up to 3 characters.
    -Ultimate: Do whatever you want.
    Those are just quick thoughts, please take them with a grain of salt, I'm not a businessman. I recognize they are a paradigm shift, do not be hard on me
    Ultimate license holder, do not worry about partecipating Italian DM (gmt+1). check here to find your timezone difference https://everytimezone.com/

- Players live a thousand lives, a DM let live a thousand universes -

Thread Information