DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

EVIL BAD BUG - spend weeks trying to isolate this thinking it was mine - it wasn't...

This is an EVIL BAD BUG which wipes out combat tracker links to character sheets. I've spent about 2-3 weeks trying to track it down in my extension and finally found its got nothing to do with my extension - just my workflow in FGU 5E.

HOW to 100% Duplicate in FGU 5E:

1. Come up as host. Make sure you have a charsheet dropped into combat tracker at the very least. It's DB entry for "link" will be a "charsheet" and all will be good with the world.
      [I'll note that my test cases always have about 15-20 entries in combat tracker from charsheets - npc sheets (created or modified myself with full and partial data) - reference module npc sheets. No test is worth testing without really testing it after all.]
    2. Look at the PC button's list of available characters and see if they have an owner for the one you just put in. Make sure its you. If you don't have one exit app and come back in and it will be there. Key is you have an owner there - in this test - its you the host.
    3. In the PC button's list - erase the owner.
      [I have players come in and test so i'm constantly having to erase the owner (me) so they can access the test character.]

You will see CT entry now is unidentified and that the database entry for "link" will now be "npc". There is no reason in the world erasing an owner should wipe out the link between the charsheet and it's CT entry.

Workaround:

1. Delete CT entry and replace it, losing all your effects and whatever else was going on. This is way safer than option 2.
    2. Edit db.xml for the link entry and manually replace the "npc" with the correct "charsheet" link. I'm not telling you how to do this as if you don't know it is not something you should be doing.

I request a bug that wipes out a CT entry link to anything is a priority bug. I'm nobody, so likely my opinion has little weight, but that's my request. This was a painful bug when it happened.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; August 11th, 2020 at 18:20.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Actually, the best way to report issues is to find the minimum case that causes the issues; as this reduces the amount of time necessary for all involved to reproduce the issue and/or generate a fix.

In this case, I am unable to reproduce the issue; so I'm assuming that there is an extension involved, or the steps I followed didn't trigger the issue. Please see the video I attached to this message (and I am logged in as "Moon Wizard").

(Video was too big in GIF form; incoming link...)

Regards,
    JPG

Here's a link to a MP4 video showing the steps I tried:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_uD...ew?usp=sharing

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post

Regards,
    JPG
    I turned off every extension when I duplicated this. But, having said that - there are user created DB entries that should have nothing to do with FGU in there. Here is the specific character that this happened with in my attempt to duplicate this. Is there something wrong in the data that caused the "erase" to do this?

I'm more than happy to have it be a bug with me as I can fix those quick.

How do I get my db.xml over to you?

Now that you mention it - only 2 of the 4 characters "go unidentified" after when I erase them. So those two may have data in them that cause erase to freak out? While everything else in game works?
    Last edited by SilentRuin; August 11th, 2020 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I turned off every extension when I duplicated this. But, having said that - there are user created DB entries that should have nothing to do with FGU in there. Here is the specific character that this happened with in my attempt to duplicate this. Is there something wrong in the data that caused the "erase" to do this?

I'm more than happy to have it be a bug with me as I can fix those quick.

How do I get my db.xml over to you?
    Send it to [email protected] with a link to this thread.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Regards,
    JPG
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here. The following CT entry is rewritten by me at one point...

Code:
    				<link type="windowreference">
    					<class>charsheet</class>
    					<recordname>charsheet.id-00002</recordname>
    				</link>

via this call

Code:
    				DB.setValue(nodeNewCTEntry, "link", "windowreference", "charsheet", nodeOriginalSource.getNodeName());
    I can run whole games with no issues. But touch that CT entries PC with an erase and that link in the CT is wiped out to just "npc". With no extensions.

The only reason I touch it is because I had to use the addPC() code and I needed to add something so copied it over to my extension. But this "looks" right - and works fine - everywhere but in the PC erase function which wipes it for its own mysterious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Send it to [email protected] with a link to this thread.
    Done. Sent whole campaign to just be safe on duplication chances. As I state in email - I've used this for a long time to test extensions and got it from some example project way back when so can't vouch on the state of the data. But it works for me. Except this erase issue.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; August 11th, 2020 at 22:00.

I just checked and I don't see it in the support queue at all. Did you send as a large attachment that perhaps got blocked due to size? Can you just post a link to a Google Drive or DropBox public share?

Thanks,
    JPG

I just checked and I don't see it in the support queue at all. Did you send as a large attachment that perhaps got blocked due to size? Can you just post a link to a Google Drive or DropBox public share?

Thanks,
    JPG
    zipped 25MB file is that to big?

Did not get any bounce back in my mail. Sent to [email protected] and was about 2 hours ago.

Not having ever used dropbox or google drive I'd probably have to sign up for it or something? You'll have to direct me on that. I've been in the corporate world where it was just shared drives all my career.

I can drop in just the db.xml if you think that is enough?

Wait I just took mail the guy told me to above - last time you had me sent files to a different address let me try that one.

Thanks,
    JPG
    resent it to [email protected] see if that works. I used the mail [email protected] from previous poster.

Thread Information