FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

MGT2E How does initiative work?

How can I use the initiative inside the CT with 2E ruleset? I have tried but it only rolls 2D6 and that is the Initiative? I want to be able to select to use INT or DEX rolls and use the Effects and add Tactics rolls? Am I missing something on how to use it? I can only add a mod to the 2D6 roll manually and if I select INT or DEX it does not affect the roll. Is that feature not ready yet and I should use it manually outside? Thanks.

Afternoon Chap,

Let me answer all of this for you!

When the GM rolls initiative for the group, it will work out if your INT or DEX are higher and then use that as the DM.

Next it looks at your character sheet. Under the actions tab you have a field for 'Initiative'. This is for any permanent boost you have to your INIT rolls.

Finally you'll notice on the Combat Tracker there's a Mod next to the Init field, this allows you to (for that round only) add any temp boost to a character/characters.

This should allow you to roll Init and get the correct results.

I understand that Leadership/Tactics can effect the entire group, not sure how we automate that, I am open to suggestions and just remember two party members could both have the various skills and yet only one is allowed to roll.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Leadership and Tactics might be good as effects... now that I think about it (since I just posted under the effects forums)...

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Afternoon Chap,

Let me answer all of this for you!

When the GM rolls initiative for the group, it will work out if your INT or DEX are higher and then use that as the DM.

Next it looks at your character sheet. Under the actions tab you have a field for 'Initiative'. This is for any permanent boost you have to your INIT rolls.

Finally you'll notice on the Combat Tracker there's a Mod next to the Init field, this allows you to (for that round only) add any temp boost to a character/characters.

This should allow you to roll Init and get the correct results.

I understand that Leadership/Tactics can effect the entire group, not sure how we automate that, I am open to suggestions and just remember two party members could both have the various skills and yet only one is allowed to roll.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Thank you MBM... I was trying to see how to explain how it works to my players as I currently don't see it... Lets see... If I say on the CT to Roll Initiatives it should roll all NPCs or Both I selected both and it just rolled 2d6 for each and added the dice and put the result on the CT (all INIT boxes had 0 MOD for INIT so no mods). How can I tell a Players to select INIT or DEX as option? Do they have to manually enter the DEX or INT DM on the INIT box for it to work?

Also if I understand what I need on the CT is the Effect result... so if with DEX DM 0 I roll 2d6 and I get a 9 and that means that you should get init 1 on the CT (if difficulty is 8 to react).
    When two PCs have the same result like to Effects 1 or 0 then the DM from each will decide if one goes before the other, so if one is DM +1 it gets up in the CT.

After that one PC can rolls for Tactics and add the Effect to the INIT for all rounds, so that should be Ok if you can modify inside the CT and add a modifier later but permanent so I have not to enter Tactics each round? Also if some one was surprised the will have +6 on that box modifier and -6 the surprised team but this is only for 1 round.

So for example I did a test and got PCs with 11, 9, 5, NPCs with 12, 3. But I was looking for Effects... so it should have shown +3, +1, -3. NPCs +4, -5.

Like it is today or as I have seen it work the current system is only adding 2d6 and showing it on the box on CT. Do I need to manually edit each of those with the DEX or INT? Sorry If I cannot understand how it works... but It is my first test of the Combat system and I could not explain to my players other than say we will make it manually. If it is like that it is ok just to make sure I am not using some automation that is already in the ruleset.

Thank you!
    Last edited by alfarobl; April 18th, 2020 at 16:22.

It's funny how I never noticed initiative is based on effect and not modified die roll. I grabbed my book and was like oops. We've been using MGT2 for quite awhile and nobody has noticed (or brought it up before now). This is definitely the advantage of newer people using the ruleset. You catch the things that we just use as normal.

I guess I'm just to used to older Traveller that I didn't read it close enough. That's definitely a good catch. It will probably take MBM some time to recode to corrected system but maybe not.

Hello,

Thanks for bringing this up, seems the Init is being rolled incorrectly, and you are correct it's the Effect of the roll is the end init, I've emailed Matt just to confirm the target is 8.

Though it does already choose Dex or Init automatically.

Oddness, I've always played this 2d6 + DM!

Will get this fixed with the next update!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    It's funny how I never noticed initiative is based on effect and not modified die roll. I grabbed my book and was like oops. We've been using MGT2 for quite awhile and nobody has noticed (or brought it up before now). This is definitely the advantage of newer people using the ruleset. You catch the things that we just use as normal.

I guess I'm just to used to older Traveller that I didn't read it close enough. That's definitely a good catch. It will probably take MBM some time to recode to corrected system but maybe not.
    Yea same with me, always played it the way I coded it, none of my players have noticed either nor anyone else!

Shouldn't take long to code up, going to think about the Leadship Boon dice as well for it.

Cheers,
    MBM

Thank you! I was getting really frustrated trying to get it to work... I think default for Init must be 8 but I would like it to be allowed to be modified for the GM to choose. For example one group could be hindered to react faster than the other because they have the Sun in front versus the other group being with the Sun behind... or something like difficult ground some group is inside water versus the others on the shore. That is the only reason why I can think Effect makes sense instead of a fixed 2d6 roll. If it was always 8 then the same order will be obtained with 2d6 vs effects.

I was reading through an errata thread on the official forum. The effect can also be a negative effect but that is just used to calculate their order in combat.

https://forum.mongoosepublishing.com...?f=89&t=120907

Down a few are official answers from Matt.

There is a cleaner view of the errata here (it marks what is official and what is not):

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0...58/mobilebasic

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    I was reading through an errata thread on the official forum. The effect can also be a negative effect but that is just used to calculate their order in combat.

https://forum.mongoosepublishing.com...?f=89&t=120907

Down a few are official answers from Matt.

There is a cleaner view of the errata here (it marks what is official and what is not):

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0...58/mobilebasic
    Those are gold dust, awesome!

Cheers,
    MBM

Thread Information