DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 57 of 71 First ... 747555657585967 ... Last

Thread: Linux Testing

Have them try this: Run the updater and set the FGU Application UI Scale to a lower value .. for example 75. Click Save and then Launch Fantasy Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by smelton View Post
    Have them try this: Run the updater and set the FGU Application UI Scale to a lower value .. for example 75. Click Save and then Launch Fantasy Grounds
    i will try this with him!

Tks!

Quote Originally Posted by smelton View Post
    YEA! Problem solved!

Tks man!

Quote Originally Posted by mordrene View Post
    I get the user agreement and the updater never launches.
    this is the last entries in the updater.log
    args: /home/scott/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater
    App directory is /home/scott/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds
    FGUpdaterEngine path is /home/scott/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.x86_64
    Looking for update in /home/scott/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW
    /home/scott/.smiteworks/fantasygrounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW is not a directory
    Update failed

Blog Entries
    Howdy FGU on LX support ... so I noticed a crash to desktop in a game last night where I was a player. This crash didn't seem like it fit the same pattern as my previous postings and so i'm attaching the logs with this one. Can I ask that you take a look at them and let me know if there's cause for concern? There's nothing different, or changed related to my gaming platform from a h/w point of view. That being said, what probably has changed is the nvidia driver is probably newer (v460.80), and the kernel is newer as well (v5.4.0-77) ... not sure that's related ... but -shrug- one never knows. So am hoping the included logs are enough to say if this is the same old unity issue that we are waiting for the next LTS to fix, or something else?

Host: Precision 5820 Tower
    Kernel: 5.4.0-77-generic
    Uptime: 4 days, 12 hours, 54 mins
    Packages: 3132 (dpkg), 14 (flatpak)
    Shell: bash 5.0.17
    Resolution: 1920x1200
    DE: Cinnamon
    WM: Mutter (Muffin)
    WM Theme: Mint-X-Dark (Mint-Y-Dark)
    Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Aqua [GTK2/3]
    Icons: SJ-Icons-Dark [GTK2/3]
    Terminal: gnome-terminal
    CPU: Intel Xeon W-2123 (8) @ 3.900GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P2000
    Memory: 13094MiB / 31794MiB
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks like a potential memory out-of-bounds scenario according to logs; but the output doesn't provide any detail. We would need to figure out steps to reproduce.

Once caveat is that FGU is technically supported on Ubuntu Linux specifically; so we would need to reproduce on that platform too.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It looks like a potential memory out-of-bounds scenario according to logs; but the output doesn't provide any detail. We would need to figure out steps to reproduce.

Once caveat is that FGU is technically supported on Ubuntu Linux specifically; so we would need to reproduce on that platform too.

Regards,
    JPG
    Righto ... I think it's a "rare" occurrence as I've not noticed that behaviour previously. I only bring it up as I thought perhaps its something related to one of the new 2021.Jun builds, but I've no evidence on that at all! Otherwise with respect to ubuntu ... yes I get that. Was hoping that since linuxmint is a distro that is based on ubuntu, but split from that distro when ubuntu introduced the unity desktop. Anyway ... my point in making that comment is that I was hoping the similarities were still close enough that it wouldn't matter. That being said ... I can't say how to reproduce since I was a player connecting into a GM that was hosting on a win10 install of FGU.

Anyway thanks for the feedback Moon Wizard.

I'll monitor more closely and try to see a pattern if it continues to reoccur.

Yeah, that's the best approach; any examples helps greatly.

Also, we have seen sporadic memory issues with the Linux builds from the beginning compared to the Mac/Windows builds. We are actually working on migrating from Unity 2019 LTS engine to Unity 2020 LTS engine, in order to take advantage of the latest tools as well as because we saw improvement in this area on Linux. The next build will most likely be on the new engine.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Also, we have seen sporadic memory issues with the Linux builds from the beginning compared to the Mac/Windows builds. We are actually working on migrating from Unity 2019 LTS engine to Unity 2020 LTS engine, in order to take advantage of the latest tools as well as because we saw improvement in this area on Linux. The next build will most likely be on the new engine.
    Good to hear! Thank you for that update.
    I'm not the savviest when it comes to LX but anything I can do to send better details to developers would be a huge boon. So am keen to board that new LTS train!

OK, so been a Linux user (since 1990s), and a Fantasy Grounds Classic user on Linux for a year. I purchased FGU recently, and tried it. I have significant performance/resource issues. I am running on a Thinkpad T440 with i7-4600U, Haswell Mobile, 12GB ram, SSD on Debian Buster OS. Top thinks I am using 130% CPU when sitting idle with a map open, no players connected. For some reason, Discord performance is the way we experience the issue. Audio is degraded until no longer understandable. I have one player who cannot play at all (he has the oldest hardware, running windows). When all my players have decent hardware, then after a while, my audio quality craps out (30 minutes to an hour). I tried /vsync 4. No discernable difference.

On some hints, I tried building latest mesa drivers, but had to give up after about 3 hours wrestling with library dependencies. Without committing my whole system to an OS change (when everything else about it works), the latest mesa seems out of reach (and I don't know if it will solve the problem).

At the moment, for me Unity is not playable. I had to go back to using Classic.

Thread Information