STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Dingo's Tactical Extensions

Building on Ronnke's work, any extensions in this thread require the Community GURPS Ruleset found here.

Largely focused around the user interface and accessibility of information, the various extensions I make consist of edits to the character sheet and potential additional resources to facilitate either faster and easier workflows such as being able to record Energy Reserve or Fatigue points on the Spells / Powers sections of the Character Sheet, or to streamline information by removing fields or adding new means of recording.

These are my first extensions being released, so there may be early bugs. I have tested them as much as I can on my own however if any issues arise, please let me know in this thread.

Additionally, all of these extensions have been made to be as compliant to SJG's guidelines as possible regarding automation and use of information from their products. As such, any automation will rely entirely on user-inputted data and logic, or that which is common among most TTRPG's and is not specific to GURPS (EG; Damage Reduction). Some field names or locations may be replicated for the purpose of user entry and reference. If SJG or any representatives have any concerns about these extensions I can be reached either through the messaging system here, or by my Discord, Dingo#0834.

DTE - Character Overrides
    The core of many changes, Character Overrides is a hopefully temporary extension that performs some larger overwrites of some of the classes in the GURPS Ruleset, to better facilitate windowclass merging. In short - this extension is required for the majority of these extensions to work. On its own this extension does not do anything particularly interesting for the end user.

This extension in particular is an amended version of Ronnke's original windowclasses, and all credit for the contents of this extension should be attributed to him accordingly. I have merely performed some minor changes to make window-class merging easier for other extensions.

Ver 1.0 - Release
    charsheet_combat overwritten (names added to XML objects)
    charsheet_spells overwritten (names added to XML objects)

Future Plans...
    None as of yet. More overwrites will be performed as needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DingoSoulEater; September 4th, 2019 at 20:41.

DTE - Hit Locations

The Hit Locations extension adds an additional tab to the Combat Menu, which allows the individual tracking of hit locations for the character, and armour. To comply with SJC Guidelines and protect copyright, no information is included in this extension and will need to be added by the user, such as the hit locations themselves or any details relating to them.

Each Hit Location has a field for the name of the location, an expanding list of any DR that applies to that location, a 'total DR' field, a field to track any injury/wound to that area, a field to record the Hit Location Penalty to hit that location if desired, and a random min-max which is not currently utilised but is next on my list.

DTE Hit Locations requires DTE Char Overrides, to insert itself into the character sheet cleanly.

Version 1.0 - Release
    Expanding list of hit locations, and fields to record armour lists implemented for characters.

Future Plans...
    Add to NPC and Combat Tracker.
    Add Random Hit Location roller, which accepts an input of a dice string (eg; 3d6), rolls against the table, and using the Random min/max inserted, returns a location and all relevant DR.
    Add automatic Total DR calculator.
    Add better means of handling 'sub'locations, such as Torso -> Vitals.
    Add means of comparing damage type (as a string/regex) to all DR in a given area, taking DR Mods into account. (EG, dragging '15 slash' damage into an area will have it not only deduct the damage by the DR, but take submods like '-1 slash' or 'x2 slash' into account).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DingoSoulEater; September 3rd, 2019 at 13:39.

DTE - Ammunition Tracking

The Ammunition Tracking extension provides ranged attack specific ammunition tracking, allowing the user to record in varying ways. Variations ofthis extension may be made for less verbose versions of this extension, however at current it provides fields for recording Caliber, Type, Quantity, Capacity, Weight/Round, +Magazine Weight

At current these fields are purely informational and are not tracked in the character's encumbrance fields. Some ranged weapon fields are removed for brevity or relevance to combat, such as TL, LC, and the old Ammo field.
    Ver 1.1 - Release
    Added strings to ammo_strings.xml to aid in easier localisation.

Ver 1.0
    Added expanding field for ranged weapons for ammunition tracking.
    Added customised icon for ammunition field.

Future Plans
    Create toggleable window at bottom of ranged combat section, for the purposes of 'loose ammunition' that may be shared between weapons. Need to identify how to use Lua to resize frames during runtime (or if it's even doable!)
    Have ammunition weight be counted towards encumbrance if listed.
    Create some alternate versions that do not remove existing fields, and do not have weight fields for campaigns where this level of (bordering obsessive) weight tracking is not needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DingoSoulEater; September 3rd, 2019 at 20:15.

DTE - Fractional Damage

The Fractional Damage extension provides the ability to roll fractional dice based on Douglas Cole's article, Rescaling Melee Damage.

This damage adds in a series of die to correspond to the custom dice created in the article, which can be rolled as normal - these dice have names 'd0X' where X is the decimal (EG, a 0.1 die is a d01). This can be difficult to use in play, however, so this extension also amends damage fields within the Fantasy Grounds GURPS ruleset to accept an easier to internalise syntax of X.Yd , which rolls X dice and one fractional Y dice (EG; rolling 5.2D will roll 5d6 + 1d02).

This nomenclature update at this stage could not be added to the standard /die command, however - so instead these dice can be rolled in text using the /frac X.Yd command. This is likely to change in future once I become more familiar with some of the systems used to handle dice roll parsing.

Note - One die in this system does differ from that found in the article, the 0.7 die in Douglas' article is 0 1 2 3 4 5 to make it easy to determine at a table (roll 1d-1); however this does result a less smooth curve of minimum-maximum damage, where 0.6 can roll a minimum of 1 damage but 0.7 can roll a minimum of 0 damage; and maximum damage jumps by 2 instead of 1. To correct this as this is handled automatically, the 0.7 die in this extension rolls instead 1 2 2 3 3 4, resulting in the same average.

Version 1.0 - Release
    Basic system working.
    /frac command added, however not currently handling modifiers properly. Needs work.
    Damage fields working properly including mods.

Future plans...
    Make fractional die have a custom icon to make it more obvious which die had less potential.
    Make fractional die work with standard /die command.
    Last edited by DingoSoulEater; September 4th, 2019 at 20:29.

Reserved for DTE - Conditional Injury, based on the Pyramid#3/120 article Conditional Injury, within 24 hours.

This extension will serve only to add informational fields with no data from the given article - to use this extension to the fullest, you will need to acquire that issue of Pyramid.
    Last edited by DingoSoulEater; September 3rd, 2019 at 13:56.

Thanks a lot Dingo! I really appreciate your effort!

Seeing as you are familiar with pyramid articles and such, have you ever heard of Edge Protection?

I'm somewhat familiar with it, IIRC it's adding a further threshold to armour that doesn't influence damage received, but the damage type? So defeating armour only slightly only does Cr damage rather than Imp/Pi/Cut since you've just knocked them around not pierced it. I don't use it myself but both in practice and execution it's quite simple as having an additional 'statistic' for EP.

If it would be useful I can add that as an additional field, I'd be concerned about any level of larger coded-in implementation (since it might involve including things like specific rules for specific damage types, etc). I do wonder if I could add a convert by threshold rule that takes purely user input though (Such as -> CDR <10 slash = bludg). Just because I want to make sure i'm not using anything from the actual GURPS Data in anything I submit here.
    Last edited by DingoSoulEater; September 4th, 2019 at 09:50.

Quote Originally Posted by DingoSoulEater View Post
    I'm somewhat familiar with it, IIRC it's adding a further threshold to armour that doesn't influence damage received, but the damage type? So defeating armour only slightly only does Cr damage rather than Imp/Pi/Cut since you've just knocked them around not pierced it. I don't use it myself but both in practice and execution it's quite simple as having an additional 'statistic' for EP. ...
    I think what you said is the gist of it. Basically, certain armors provide additional resistance to certain attacks. Metal armor versus cutting/impaling is the primary example, i believe. There are different variations of it for other armors as well (certain textiles against arrows). Since there are some variations out there, it would be extremely useful to have some adaptability.

I think you got it, but just to make it more obvious, suppose a sword cut did 8 points of damage to DR 3 metal armor. 8-3 = 5 is the damage delivered, but only (5-3) = 2 counts as cutting. 2 * 1.5 = 3, so the total damage received would be 5 + 3 = 8.
    Last edited by seycyrus; September 4th, 2019 at 22:12.

I could easily for now just add an additional field, 'ER' for Edge Resistannce, that's recorded next to the DR in the Hit Locations stuff if that would be helpful. A 'better' solution will probably have to wait until I both work out a way to Lua it, and a way to do it programmically without actually including the rules/ mechanics.

Oh by all means, there is no immediate rush. Do it the best way you can.

Thread Information