5E Character Create Playlist
Page 4 of 12 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I feel for you moostik... sounds very frustrating. I sure know I was frustrated for a good 18 months with slow downs, spinning circles and non-responsiveness before I bit the bullet and threw $ at the problem.
    Thanks, yeah... I feel with my PC being a gaming rig, everything new, just a year old... I already threw money at it before even starting to use FGU.

I think it actually might be related to the images, LoS and tokens; which is why I asked about them.

10MB+ images are actually very large resolution wise; and higher resolutions equates to greater taxing of resources multiplied by number of tokens for LoS/FoW/visibility checks. Our recommended image sizes are 4K by 4K or smaller; and 2MB or smaller in size. Most artist maps are much higher resolution than what is needed for VTT play.

As an example, the large maps in the 5E DotMM adventure are set to about 2.5K by 2.5K resolution and clock in at under 2MB each.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by moostik View Post
    Thing is, I don't have performance issues. The whole thing just freezes. I go from 30% CPU load on 2 cores and 40% mem usage to total freeze up and FGU is unresponsive. Nothing is ever slow, it runs fine then explodes.
    The freeze is not the running circle kind, either. The window gets a layer of windows-whiteout (transculent white) over it, and the window title gets (not responding) added to it. In the taske manager, mem usage is then static, not changing, and again Not Responding. CPU use drops to zero. I can still X the window out to close it, but that's it. No error log.

The maps I use are tiny default FGU ones, some bought ones by Gabriel Picard (used by thousands of GM's), and some tiny ones grabbed off the internet.
    In addition some i made myself, those are larger in size. The thing is, we had this problem before I even added my own maps.

The campaign size is 73 megabytes by the looks of it.

Last session it crashed so hard it wouldn't boot up properly again. We lost the the session (all progress we had that day) and FGU rebuilt the campaign file. I then had to restore from a backup, combat data and positions on the map was gone forever.

Maps are genrally 10mb or less, with the largest one ever used was about 150mb. Note that the 150mb one, although ridiculously huge, was only used last session, and we had crashes every one of the 6 sessions prior to that one.

Tokens on map vary, we've had 10 and we've had 50. No difference really.
    I think your map size might be your issue.

Per the Developer Guidelines, maps should be no larger than 4kx4k pixels and about 4MB in file size on disk.

I've been using FGU and RMC for a while now (pretty much since the beta), and while it might experience a freeze occasionally (especially the first time opening large lists, it has gotten a lot better though), I have experienced nothing like what you have described. Even after hours and hours of running. I've even (by accident) put my computer to sleep and when it woke back up saw FG was still running and I decided to try it out, no issues there either. NOTE: This is not recommended, it happened by accident, and I try to remember to close it down before I put the computer to sleep.

As Moon Wizard recommends, I'd also start with reducing the size of your maps, and see if that helps at all.

Capture.PNG

This is the typical map size and type I use. And yes, different group members have different vision types and there may or may not be light sources on the map depending on time of day etc. I sometimes use weather effects and oteher FX as well but not always.

If FGU can't do what it's made to do and I need to constantly make sure I don't throw to many enemies at the party or use a map over 2mb because the game might crash, then that tbh is a massive disappointment. If it caused slowdowns and froze for a few seconds I could deal with it and manage my resources, but a CTD or freeze without recovery is unacceptable. I really hope there is something that can be done.

Thank you all so far, I have a few things I can try now at least.
    Last edited by moostik; December 1st, 2022 at 21:27.

As @Sulimo pointed out, we have a recommended map size, and this is specifically to keep performance at an acceptable level. This has been the case since FGU was released, and all of the official material works within the recommended guidelines.

If you are using maps larger than the recommended size, you will likely have stalling or performance issues as you add more tokens to a map. The solution is to reduce the map sizes down to an overall smaller resolution for performance of both UI and network transfer times to players.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    As @Sulimo pointed out, we have a recommended map size, and this is specifically to keep performance at an acceptable level. This has been the case since FGU was released, and all of the official material works within the recommended guidelines.

If you are using maps larger than the recommended size, you will likely have stalling or performance issues as you add more tokens to a map. The solution is to reduce the map sizes down to an overall smaller resolution for performance of both UI and network transfer times to players.

Regards,
    JPG
    Right, it is worth a try. Would using the /imagequality command do the trick, or do i need to resize/resample all the maps i have on disk?

I just discovered something else that might be the issue too. What is the default vsync value? I have two screens, and they seem to have different refrash rate. If I extend the FGU screen to both screens, could that in theory crash the whole vsync process?

The sync could be the issue if you are experiencing crashes, especially given your specs. You could test by only using one screen to determine if you still have a problem to eliminate that as a cause.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

All of the issues will most likely stem from the image sizes. You will need to resample the image to lower resolutions (optimally under 4kx4k).

The imagequality and vsync commands only apply to very specific cases, regarding FoW complexity and graphics card frame rate.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    All of the issues will most likely stem from the image sizes. You will need to resample the image to lower resolutions (optimally under 4kx4k).

The imagequality and vsync commands only apply to very specific cases, regarding FoW complexity and graphics card frame rate.

JPG
    4200*4200, 6.6 mb maps with a few light sources and 5 player tokens plus a dozen enemies will definitely cause issues on a modern gaming rig? My best bet is to resize those maps?
    Because initially those were the largest maps in the campaign file, and I had issues from session 1.

I will try it if that's what you rcommend.
    Last edited by moostik; December 1st, 2022 at 23:42.

Quote Originally Posted by moostik View Post
    4200*4200, 6.6 mb maps with a few light sources a ...
    I use that exact map as is, under approximately the same conditions as you describe and don't seem to recall having issues. How many occluders etc. do you have?

Thread Information